Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quickly getting to that point of "why the f*ck do I bother" with this discussion.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Not going there.
    Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 11-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Not going there
    Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 11-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.

This is a conversation that is difficult to keep on track because there are two very distinct perspectives possible:

1. Big picture--talk about probabilities, generalities, major trends vs exceptions, etc. It's easy to say there's nothing to worry about when taking this view, regardless of the issue being discussed

2. Small picture--what if it was you who were the exception to the general trend? The individual bad story becomes the focus--even one bad outcome is unacceptable, absolute view of individual rights,etc.

The perspective you tend to adopt is usually determined by your personality, mindset, pre-established thought processes, etc.

Gabe is saying the big picture view makes it obvious we have nothing to fear from doing more on the mental health thing.

Others might say that one unjustified gun seizure or incarceration is one too many, because THE CONSTITUTION. (please note that I'm as big a libertarian constitutional absolutist as anybody in principle)

I think there's a balance--pragmatism has its place in one's personal life. If we embrace personal responsibility and individualism, that should include the idea that you are responsible to make sure you don't get on the wrong side of well-intended legislation, regardless of whether it has the potential to be abused. In this case, you can be smart and know what to say and what not to say. It probably should start with deleting your social media accounts and starting over. We should all be living our lives defensively--there is no reason to broadcast to the world, our families, our friends, etc. information about us that they don't need to know, even if it makes us feel good to say it. That's just reality today.

Look at it this way--would you rather deal with the need to navigate the mental health thing in an intelligent manner, or instead see the gun control thing go in the wrong direction? Because those are the only two probable outcomes of the current trends. There are just too many people who expect the government to "just do something" without really understanding all the intricacies of the issues. We are never going to educate the ignorant masses. We have to play the system to our advantage.

I'm as unhappy as anybody about some of the stuff the NRA has done in their deal making in the back rooms of power, but there's still a place for it where it's the least objectionable of many bad options. You can accept the unpleasant reality and make the best of it or you can pursue a Pyrrhic victory, e.g. win the battle and lose the war.

If it came to a vote against the rights of crazy people...I would vote against the rights of crazy people. Back in 1776 if there was a crazy guy people thought was going to be violent, they would just kill him. Done.

If you don't want to be THE ONE, don't act like a crazy motherf*cker. It really is simple as that. Some of you people are looking for demons and nazis around every corner. And some of you people are like those old farts that sit around around all day complaining about something (and unhappy unless mid catastrophe).
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

What Gabe said, plus 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

Nobody can disarm someone who says "NO". You guys are so afraid of everything...like your dad is coming to take your toys away at any moment. Nobody is going to ban anything...and even in the remote possibility that they do pass such a law, how the f*ck is anyone going to enforce it. Enough already

This/\/\/\ I still live in CA. My tribe and I, we carry(concealed) all the time, everywhere. When we want, where we want. We do as we please. I've carried in a bar...but I don't drink there. Not because I'm not supposed to, but because I like having my wits at all times. I'll save my alcohol consumption for at home.
    Last edited by TomQuinn; 11-13-2018 at 01:00 PM.