Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Not getting to leave my house often I looked forward to visiting a friends restaurant. After taking a slow 'stroll' enjoying the warm sun on my back I reached the restaurant and took my seat on a little patio, meeting up with Mom.

Glancing around me I realized that I was surrounded by green trees masking my view of the adjoining buildings and helping to cover the noise coming from across the street. Changing my environment instantly and allowing me to relax.

After turning around in my chair Mom started to describe the interior to me, having entered by the front door, while I had circled around the garden so I could enter using a wider door. Hearing my voice Joe appeared with a friendly smile and welcomed me and Mom warmly, glad that I finally made it. After a short chat Joe jumped up and returned with two ice cold classes of Coke.

Then making sure that we are both comfortable and happy with our orders she disappeared inside attending to her 'real' customers.

Finishing a leisurely meal and taking my time 'walking' home, trying to stretch out my day, I arrived home thinking that I would simply be slipping back into me routine. That is, until my mobile rang and opened the door to a great new adventure. The call was from a friend asking if I wanted to start the French speaking classes we had being talking about for a while now.
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

I was searching for a challenge but did not want to start to learn a new language and then have no reason or motivation to continue when the lessons got harder-Also a reason that most people give up according to my friend.

Then glancing up at the television last week I hear an actress talk talk about her company that has a bunch of translators on the books who all work from the comfort of their homes. Now having discovered my reason I needed to find out if the offer still stood and the costs of the lessons. Questions I wanted to ask the next time I talked to my friend.

Instead her was my friend calling and asking if I was still interested because somebody had just stopped, freeing up some teaching time. She continued and warned me that French is not an easy language to master. Then she added that if I was willing to apply myself and prepared to be tested often she would give me the opportunity.

Throwing in the lessons for free because of our friendship.

Changing a good day, being out of the house into an exceptional day. Being presented with an opportunity to challenge myself by achieving something that everybody claims is impossible. Not only learning to speak a new language but to read and write it expertly.

In the process creating the possibility to improve my circumstances by making extra money. Using the tools that are available to me.

OSSU
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

I did a proofreading and copy editing course for certification so that I could have an option if I wanted to pick up some $$$ in my spare time without the usual work time commitments. It's something I can do at home or travelling, or not as I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    I did a proofreading and copy editing course for certification so that I could have an option if I wanted to pick up some $$$ in my spare time without the usual work time commitments. It's something I can do at home or travelling, or not as I decide.
    Now that's interesting. And novel. No pun intended.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

240. And a wakeup.

Yeah, it also makes you a bit of a grammar Nazi.

I recently started college, Jan 14th to be precise. I turned 50 Jan 15th. It was a bit rough relearning how to learn after a 30 + years in the oilfield. The job had transferred me to ND and sold the local assets. 2 years in ND was enough. I am now an unemployed 50 year old college student. It feels like a whole new world of opportunities are ahead of me. best feeling ever.

Knowing I could whoop each of the young kids that are my classmates makes me smile too!
    Stupid Should Hurt!!!!!

"The 47% are not your friends and its time you stopped feeding them." Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic_ken View Post
    I recently started college, Jan 14th to be precise. I turned 50 Jan 15th. It was a bit rough relearning how to learn after a 30 + years in the oilfield. The job had transferred me to ND and sold the local assets. 2 years in ND was enough. I am now an unemployed 50 year old college student. It feels like a whole new world of opportunities are ahead of me. best feeling ever.

Knowing I could whoop each of the young kids that are my classmates makes me smile too!
    And don't forget the coeds. ;)

Yeah, I went back to college at 45. Great decision, loved it. The nursing classes sucked because of the bull crap, but everything else was actually fun! Significant pay increase helped.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Yeah, I went back to college at 45. Great decision, loved it. The nursing classes sucked because of the bull crap, but everything else was actually fun! Significant pay increase helped.
    I was a lease operator, now working on getting my Instrumentation, Controls, and Electronics ticket punched. just the certificate for now, may pursue the A.A.S. later on, once I am again gainfully employed. hoping to get back on with Exxon, they have a project in Argentina that intrigues me.
    Stupid Should Hurt!!!!!

"The 47% are not your friends and its time you stopped feeding them." Gabe Suarez

20180527_122143.jpg

I'm rebuilding my old FJ40 Land Cruiser. Classic cars are just a hobby at the moment, but I will have my own garage/restoration business in a few years.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.