Default Cigars and Pipe Tobacco

Anyone else a fan of a good occasional cigar or pipe tobacco here? I am not much of a cigar smoker, cannot seem to find the time for them, but I have recently in the past 2 years made the switch from using dipping tobacco and cigarettes to pipe tobaccos. Never felt better after I quit inhaling smoke, saving alot of money too! Found a site called LeafOnly where whole leaf tobacco can be purchased for next to nothing. It is taxed at a much lower rate than processed tobacco. Actually cutting the tobacco leaf is quite relaxing, and really helps control the amount used when you have to prep it yourself. I used to use a can of Grizzly/Copenhagen longcut a day, and smoked a pack every few days. Even my Doctor is on board with this switch.

This Nicotaina Rustica tobacco is strong enough in nicotine that I can just take a few puffs and be set for the evening. It definitely feels cleaner than the Natural American Spirits I used to smoke. Mixed with a 1/4 ratio of Perique tobacco it is quite tasty too. I would strongly caution anyone from smoking Rustica strain tobacco while driving, it is far stronger than any tobacco product I have ever used. My stamina and energy levels have improved quite a bit. I strongly recommend anyone still smoking cigs to look into it, if quitting is not an option. Those nicotine "vaporizers" never satisfied the itch for me, and made me feel worse than when I smoked cigs. Judging by all of the research coming out about them, I think I made the right decision.

I have also really been enjoying Flake tobacco as well. Bold Kentucky and Irish Flake seem to be strong enough for me, while still tasting good. Started smoking a pipe when Dunhill Nightcap was still easily attainable, now that they are going out of business, I am going to miss that good English blend. Bought a few of the last tins on sale to cellar for special occasions. I keep a clay churchwarden dedicated to Nightcap/English blends to avoid ghosting flavors that briar pipes are prone to.

Forgive me if posting Links is not allowed, but here is where I get my Rustica Tobacco. 1lbs will last quite a long time and is probably the cheapest source for nicotine anywhere, of tobacco that is worth smoking. More money for guns and ammo! https://www.leafonly.com/tobacco-lea...otiana-rustica
    Last edited by WraithWolf; 11-07-2018 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks for the link.

I've been a pipe smoker since 1987, and even have one on my desk right now in my no-smoking workplace. I'm not a heavy smoker, not even once a day always, but it is a relaxing and pleasurable diversion. Well-made pipes are works of art and can last decades. Many of mine have stories that I'll pass on with them someday.

Though it's cheaper to buy online, I really prefer stopping in at the local smoke shop when I need a refill. The few extra bucks is well worth it to talk with the interesting characters that you'll meet there, and soaking in the smells, getting to handle the pipes is part of the experience.

I like quality cigars, too, but pipes are tops on my list.
    Armed Puritan

I thoroughly enjoy a good cigar and pipe. I smoke once-twice a week, but mostly cigars as of late.

I try to have one afternoon smoke on the front porch of my favorite smoke shop every week. They have a number of rocking chairs, nice view of the hills/mountain. Favorites are the La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro and the Fuente Hemingway Short Story

I do love my pipes. I’m a Churchwarden smoker. There’s something about sitting back in a favorite chair, resting the bowl on your chest whilst the bit and lip are right there for a puff.

My favorite blend is one called “Fireside.” (Made by my Tobacconist.) Best way to describe is if you were to have a dream/childhood memory in which your most favorite Grandfather/Uncle/Santa Claus is smoking a pipe and you can smell the wonderful, warm-sweet tobacco odor of his pipe as the smoke swirls around like the most comforting nostalgia.

And on that note... I believe I have a bowl to pack. (Yeah I know how that sounds... Nichols!)
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Damn, haven’t seen anyone smoking a pipe in years. My dad was a big pipe smoker in the 70’s and 80’s and I always enjoyed going to the smoke shop with him to smell the tobacco when he was picking some up. The shop would let me sample the snuff and I could play darts since they also sold a few pool room type accessories too.

Maybe I’ll hit him up for one of his pipes.....
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Got into pipe smoking 5 years ago. Great weekend hobby. Wife likes having something she can get me for Christmas. Really enjoy it and amazed how people respond. Cheers!

My dad and uncle were both pipe/cigar smokers, but I've never smoked a thing, but I do love the smell of both. I'd lite a bowl of nice tobacco just to scent the room..

Rocky Patel Edge Maduro

Reasonably priced and full of flavor.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    I thoroughly enjoy a good cigar and pipe. I smoke once-twice a week, but mostly cigars as of late.

I try to have one afternoon smoke on the front porch of my favorite smoke shop every week. They have a number of rocking chairs, nice view of the hills/mountain. Favorites are the La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro and the Fuente Hemingway Short Story

I do love my pipes. I’m a Churchwarden smoker. There’s something about sitting back in a favorite chair, resting the bowl on your chest whilst the bit and lip are right there for a puff.

My favorite blend is one called “Fireside.” (Made by my Tobacconist.) Best way to describe is if you were to have a dream/childhood memory in which your most favorite Grandfather/Uncle/Santa Claus is smoking a pipe and you can smell the wonderful, warm-sweet tobacco odor of his pipe as the smoke swirls around like the most comforting nostalgia.

And on that note... I believe I have a bowl to pack. (Yeah I know how that sounds... Nichols!)
    I tend to gravitate towards churchwardens as well, especially at night when walking my dog on a warm fall night, or reading out on the screened in porch. I have one from Italy I got for around $50 on Pipeshoppe that I really enjoy, it can smoke for awhile before running out. In the colder weather I prefer my smaller briars, or if it is really cold out my clay pipes. The advantage of a clay being that you can smoke as quick as you want without worrying about the pipe getting too hot and damaging the wood, just have to be careful where you hold them. Even when puffing quickly on them, they do not seem to alter the taste the way a hot briar pipe will. Easy to clean too, I just place them on the oven rack on the self clean setting on top of some aluminum foil, and it will cook the tar out, but they do not seem to get as dirty as fast as a briar will.

What kind of blend is the Fireside? I have found making my own blends to be almost as enjoyable as smoking them! I tend to avoid any kind of aromatic tobacco, I tried some cherry flavored aro before, and could not get past the taste/smell, it smelled like someone was burning cough syrup, I think it was Lane Very Cherry. That tobacco was used as kindling for the firepit! The most I do with my blends is small amounts of spiced rum or bourbon in terms of flavoring. I am always on a quest to find high nicotine leaf, but I do enjoy weaker blends for the flavor from time to time. I just got some Brown Irish Rope in, that I am blending with some Red/Bright Virginia to age in a mason jar. Its taste is quite good, and I suspect that since all 3 are Virginia, it will only improve with age! One of those few blends I very much enjoy smoking in the closed off garage, it smells absolutely divine!

The Rocky Patel Edge is one my standard
    go to cigars along with the Partagas Black
    label maduro's.

Both are fantastic smokes. The only other
    cigar I buy is a Brick House Maduro.

I have found these available at most vape
    stores which are appearing on every street
    corner, so they are easy to obtain, and are
    very affordable.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/...plers/1484239/

Quote Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
    Rocky Patel Edge Maduro

Reasonably priced and full of flavor.

R
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.