Default Stakeout and slugs?

Hi folks,

Been experimenting with standard Foster slugs in my 14" knock off Stakeout. They do ok, but I was wondering if anyone had done any testing with Brenneke style and if they got better range. I don't plan to make this a carry load, but figure I'll have a few in a carry pouch. (I had quite a few of the Fosters from deer season.). I'm going to grab a box of Brennekes next trip to the store for my own tests, but thought I'd ask.

We have shot slugs slugs at distances out to 100 yards and made hits. I don’t recall the load but they were nothing exotic.

I would be curious to hear your experience with those slugs.

For my part, I am satisfied with a slug that hits where I aim it.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    For my part, I am satisfied with a slug that hits where I aim it.
    That seems to be a fairly solid point of satisfaction. After that, it's the slug's job.

Hmm... This is something I need to do more of. If only because I haven't really done much of it. Also I am sure it would tick off the fudds at my club lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    That seems to be a fairly solid point of satisfaction. After that, it's the slug's job.
    Exactly. It’s not that I am not interested in terminal performance, but that’s really out of my control. My #1 criteria is can I hit with it consistently.

If a slug has some interesting characteristics I might look at it, but it’s not something I have devoted any time to looking at.
    Brent Yamamoto

Brent, We were using the Federal Tactical Reduced Recoil Slugs (Blue Hull). It is a pretty standard load for LE and is easy to source just about anywhere at reasonable cost. My experience with an SI Amphibian is that they will shoot into a 9” Circle using slug sights and a sling for support. I expect a bit better once I try grouping again with the RMR on the weapon.
    “How can I shoot people? Shooting people is easy. It is the simple application of the fundamentals of marksmanship. The hard part is ensuring that I have the physical strength to prevail, the moral strength to know when it is right to kill, and the mental strength to articulate the aftermath such that I maintain my freedom while they experience what comes next in the afterlife.”

Cool, thanks Chris!
    Brent Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by 45Smashemflat View Post
    Hi folks,
    Been experimenting with standard Foster slugs in my 14" knock off Stakeout. They do ok, but I was wondering if anyone had done any testing with Brenneke style and if they got better range. I don't plan to make this a carry load, but figure I'll have a few in a carry pouch. (I had quite a few of the Fosters from deer season.). I'm going to grab a box of Brennekes next trip to the store for my own tests, but thought I'd ask.
    I have also tested with Brenekke but not beyond a 50 yard range. I found them to be stoked very hot but seemed accurate with minimal drop within 50. My gut is they would drop less than the traditional Foster slug.

I was hitting a 12" gong at 75 yards with the Fosters, and yes, I wouldn't volunteer to try and catch one. Brennekes are a tad pricier, compared to these Federals. (Std velocity, green hulls). I was wondering if the juice was worth the squeeze, that's all.