Default Forgotten weapons: Q&A #23: Kalashnikov Questions w/ Larry Vickers

I am watching this now. It does involve one of Vickers' books and hopefully that is ok here.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have not finished it yet but i certainly disagree with him on the AK safety to a point. With Gabe's training tape on the AK, when you take the AK off sling you also hit the safety and it stays in the fire position until everything is done and you sling the rifle again. But it certainly would not hurt to put it in a more convenient place and make it ambidextrous. I likely would not take a training class from Vickers if that is not his view of how the safety is used. Actually I prefer to take all of my training classes at SI.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I have more than a few AKs. More than a couple have no receiver wear marks from engaging the safety.

I view it as a dust cover.

Choirboy

I think its funny how all the top comments are talking about how much weight Vickers has lost.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Well that was a waste of time. Normally Ian's stuff is worth while. Also.. its almost like they forgot about the banning of the import of 5.45 to the U.S. too.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I think its funny how all the top comments are talking about how much weight Vickers has lost.
    I have only seen vickers once before on video and he was heavier. Not that I care much one way or other.
    The fellow knows a lot about ARs and AKs and it is interesting to hear his take on it. He apparently has some military experience which is also important. Some of the comments on the newer russian designs were new to me. Comments on the fact that russians and other AK users will likely be sticking with the 7.62x39 cartridge and also going with the AK system but with modifications for rails was also interesting.
    He says for highly trained personnel that the AR is better, but he thought the AK was more suited to those with lesser training, including americans of that level could make for an interesting debate.

And this is what we have to talk about ... Vickers diet and the usability of a 5.45?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Those are about the only thing of note from the video lol.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    TWOTU edition

TWOTU since May 2015

Economics drive gun markets and for those that are poorer, for now the lower end of the AR market is the best choice if you want a gun that functions, is cheaper, and more durable than the cheapo unreliable Century AKs. And if there is problem with an AR, it is a modular system and knowledge of how to fix what might be wrong is common, inexpensive, and does not require a gunsmith's shop. I have not seen any figures, but the number of new ARs versus new AKs sold should show the AR system way out in front. I will not be buying any new Aks for sure.