Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Metal Pump Advantages/Disadvantages Discussion

Since this TAC-14 is already a really light weight shotgun, I would not mind for a few more ounce's on the pump to reduce the muzzle rise. I want to set mine up so shooting #1 Buck 3" is more inviting to do long training sessions with. A machined metal pump, with more aggressive handstop barrier near the muzzle than the magpul one would be awesome for my uses. Seen too many reports of plastic handstop attachments breaking under full powered loads. Just got my TAC-14 a few days ago here in Ohio as they were illegal up until the start of April almost. I have always shot better with shotguns that were front heavy, which is the opposite of rifles where I prefer them balanced closer to the rear in most weight. Would love to hear everyone's take on something like this.

Personally, I'm not going to take a light, handy, and maneuverable weapon and intentionally make it heavier. The requirement for fast follow up shots isn't really within the Role/Niche of this weapon system.

Here's something I wrote on recoil management a while back: http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...of-the-Shotgun
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by WraithWolf View Post
    Since this TAC-14 is already a really light weight shotgun, I would not mind for a few more ounce's on the pump to reduce the muzzle rise. I want to set mine up so shooting #1 Buck 3" is more inviting to do long training sessions with. A machined metal pump, with more aggressive handstop barrier near the muzzle than the magpul one would be awesome for my uses. Seen too many reports of plastic handstop attachments breaking under full powered loads. Just got my TAC-14 a few days ago here in Ohio as they were illegal up until the start of April almost. I have always shot better with shotguns that were front heavy, which is the opposite of rifles where I prefer them balanced closer to the rear in most weight. Would love to hear everyone's take on something like this.
    I have been running 870s since 1983. I have never seen an american made, non-cheap-bullshit-manufacture handstop attachments break. Maybe I don't have sufficient experience to know...but there it is. Front heavy is not a good idea. Shooting and gunfighting are not the same, so lets work hard to not confuse the two. For gunfighting a lighter weapon is a faster weapon. Want to reduce recoil? Port the barrel.

See video below. This is with buckshot. See the gasses escape from the top. That reduces recoil far better than an overweight weapon.

I
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

A long gun for gunfighting--even one with a short barrel--needs to have a "lively" feel, if that makes sense. Excessive weight up front is great for offhand target shooting, or followthrough on clays and high flying birds, but impairs close, quick action.
    I haven't heard of handguard or attachment failures, but my experience is limited to factory and Magpul.
    Porting, grip surfaces and stance make all the difference.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.

Thanks for the advice guys. I saw that video Gabe, I think I will invest one of the Slug Sight Ported Barrels for sure. I whole heartily agree with the video on the sights having the same sight system as a sidearm.

From another post this morning:

Imagine shooting with your dream rifle. It’s accurate, light and handy. Imagine how easily it swings from one target to the next, how deadly you are with it. Now add five pounds of lead to that rifle...five pounds that give you no additional advantage. What happens to its handling characteristics?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 3, 11. And a wakeup.

Technique
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

First off - I do not shoot it a lot.
    Having said that - i can drive my 1301 Beretta much better than any shotgun I have shot in a long time, and I attribute that to the fact it is so light. I hit what I aim at, and I can get there pretty damn fast.

geezer john

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    First off - I do not shoot it a lot.
    Having said that - i can drive my 1301 Beretta much better than any shotgun I have shot in a long time, and I attribute that to the fact it is so light. I hit what I aim at, and I can get there pretty damn fast.

geezer john
    If you review the last line of my above linked article, the mount is all of it. The lighter the weapon, the faster and more consistent the mount.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

A ported barrel. Trust me. Just give Gabe your money. Don't fight it.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...d-barrel-ports
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015