Default Reliability and proper recoil springs for RMR'd Glocks

I'd like to hear some thoughts on recoil springs for RMR'd Glocks. I'll share my findings, but I want to see if I'm on the right track.

I have a G19 Gen 4 that was problematic with an RMR. The gun was a low round count before sending it to Gabe's folks for milling, less than a couple of hundred through it. After installing the optic I experienced several failures to eject, failures to feed, etc. at least one for every magazine expended. This was with both an OEM barrel and a Suarez threaded barrel. I put about two hundred rounds through it thinking that it just needed some "wearing in." The number of failures gradually diminished, but there were still enough to cause concern.

I wondered if maybe the weight of the RMR was an issue. I'd read that the metal removed from the slide during the milling process would offset the weight of the optic. That made sense, but it didn't solve my problem. After doing some research I decided to try some different recoil springs.

My understanding that the G19 Gen 4 recoil spring weight is 18 pounds. I bought an assortment of Gen 3 recoil springs, did some swapping around and a lot of shooting and found the right combination: a 15 pound spring mounted on a captured guide rod designed to fit the Gen 4 gun. Over the past week I've put 300+ rounds of 115, 124 and 147 grain ammo from Winchester, Blazer, Federal, etc. through the 15 pound spring with only one failure to feed on the first magazine. Today I put several mags through it in the rain -- more than a hundred, close to one-fifty -- and had a great time of it. It's laser accurate, no doubt thanks to the Patrol Trigger, Suarez barrel and RMR. Now it appears to be reliable enough to depend on, but I'm gonna put another couple of hundred rounds through it before I commit to it.

For what it's worth, I've got an RMR'd Gen 3 G17 PDW that I purchased from a forum member. Being a second hand gun, I'm not certain what spring is on it, but it feels heavier than the G19. It shoots great, though, no issues with any kind of ammo, period. In PDW form it serves as my house gun, and I stick it in a bag when I go on the road.

Anywhoooo ... what's the collective experience with recoil springs, ammo weights and RMR'd Glocks? Am I on the right track? I'm seeing a lot of mentions on the forum about 124 and 147 grain ammo. My goal is to be reliable with all quality ammo weights. Yeah, even with 115 grain Winchester "white box."

Also, from what I've read, a 15 pound spring shouldn't be too hard on the frame. I may try the other springs again after I get a few thousand rounds through it, just to see if the wearing in makes a difference. Regardless, I plan on carrying it, shooting the sh*t out of it and getting my money's worth out of that RMR.

20181026_232637.jpg
    20181026_232847.jpg
    20181026_232951.jpg
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 10-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

In my Gen4 19's I have SI's rod and the standard weight spring. Never a problem with either gun. I have thought of trying a 15# spring but as long as the guns run not worth fixing something that is not broken.

I dont know whose recoil unit that is, but its not one of ours.

Make sure you use the screws we sent and not the longer screws that are packaged by Trijicon. The longer screws will bind up the extractor plunger unit and cause malfunctions.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I have a Gen 3 G22 milled by SI and a Gen 4 G34 with a SI slide. Both wear the OEM springs and have had no issues. Not quite your scenario, but that's my situation.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Roger Gabe, I did use the screws you sent with the milled slide. I just checked and the extractor plunger range of motion and tension seems to be the same at my other guns. I will strip it down later this week and double/triple check, though, to make sure everything is in order.

And you're right, this is not one of your guide rods. Back when I was looking up parts either you were out of stock or I missed it. I had a guide rod that didn't have a cross hole to pin the spring when putting it all together. That was a huge PITA to assemble, so I dug around 'til I found the captive unit.

I'm adding your kit to my next order.

babue, I wouldn't change out any springs unless there was a direct need. The factory Gen 4 recoil spring assembly was the problem in this case, or so it seemed. I did upgrade per Glock recommendation to the newer unit -- there was a recall on the first of the Gen 4 guns -- but that didn't help. I think the more recent is also an 18 pounder. I tried 16 and 17 pound springs, but the 15 has worked best.

This is an early Gen 4 gun. It also had a mushy trigger, which was helped considerably with the SI Patrol Trigger. (My next purchase will be an SI striker, which I hope will make it even better) From what I've read, early Gen 4 guns weren't quite "Glock Perfection." In hindsight I should have used my Gen 3 G19 ... or perhaps a more recent Gen 4.

Regardless, the gun is doing well now. The RMR is the future, especially for my eyes. It's well worth the $$ and effort.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I have a G19 Gen4 that was milled by SI. I use the factory recoil unit for everyday carry with self defense ammo. I DO have two captured guide rod setups that I use with regular recoil springs (13# &15#) for competition shooting with reduced power loads.
    One setup is from Taran Tactical, the other from JagerProducts. Both work fine and I've not had issues.

I have no relation to the competition shooters/youtubers thread.... B-)

In my experience this just hasn't been that complicated.

My gen 4 g 19 worked with the stock recoil spring, no problems, all ammo.

My gen 3 g 19 with RMR functioned flawlessly with all ammo and stock spring /guide rod.

The gen3 has continued to function flawlessly with SI rod and spring
    Last edited by apamburn; 10-28-2018 at 08:53 AM.

I run all mine with Suarez guide rods and factory weight springs. Never had an issue. Unless you’re intentionally shooting powderpuff match loads, I don’t see how going to a lighter spring would fix anything.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTA View Post
    Unless you’re intentionally shooting powderpuff match loads, I don’t see how going to a lighter spring would fix anything.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters