Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have dropped about 50lbs. in the past year and a half. I mentioned my arm-wrestling..I've since started running on a consistent basis. I am shooting for a 1/2 marathon this spring. Since I've started getting my self back in shape, I dropped my bp down to 112/72...a drop about 20 pts. I am moving much better now and feeling great too.
    Crush your enemies...

This time last year I weighed about 315 lbs. I'd go to the doctor for some reason or other, they'd check my blood pressure (it was usually around 124 over 80, or close) and they'd say, "Wow, that's pretty good for someone your size." I'd just nod and go on.

This year I've dropped 50 lbs. over that (like to move another 30 or 40 off that, working on it, slowly it seems, now) and yesterday, my doctor's visit (INR test) showed my BP at 118 over 60 with a heart beat at 56. With my clothes, coat, P07/IWB, spare 17 round magazine/IWB pouch, keys, change, wallet, cellphone, knife, razor knife/box cutter, etc. the scale read 272 lbs. Oh, and paperback I was reading while in the waiting room. It's a road to travel, not a destination.

You just don't know how much better I feel, how much better I get around and how much quicker I recover from a "busy" day. Oh, and now, no one at the doctor's office comments on my BP and heart beat numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    1). Cholesterol - research it well - it has to do with ratios and not with total. Written about extensively here.

2). Blood pressure - if you are a lifter, chances are your arms are bigger than the norm. My family has a history of this so I check it regularly. A wrist monitor works better than an arm monitor.

3). Most (not all) docs are trained, programmed, and rewarded for throwing pills at anything they think is even remotely a problem. Nothing is free. Do your own research.
    I'd add look into paleo/primal as well.

In my teens/20s I was running 3-4 miles several times a week at a <7min/mile pace and benching double my body weight but eating mostly high carb. Ten years later, swapping to paleo/primal dropped me from 135/80s to 115/65s. HDL and ratios are much better ditching carbs/grains and eating a ton of meat.

If you do need blood pressure medicine, ask for telmisartan. As well as lowering blood pressure, its a PED.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/210537...ings-grey-area

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Warrior Skills Camp 09
    Fighting Rifle Skills
    Small Unit Tactics
    Close Range Gunfighting
    Advanced Close Range Gunfighting
    0-5 gunfighting
    Advanced AR15/M4 Rifle Gunfighting
    Guerilla Sniper I
    CQB: Fighting in Structures

Default I experienced this medical mistake

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for posting the links to the article entitled "Don't fall prey to this medical mistake". I've been weight-training for a little over four years and have 17-inch biceps. On my last visit to the dentist, the hygenist insisted on taking my blood pressure, which was a first for me at a dentist's office. She measured the pressure in my left arm at 294/80 and the pressure in my left arm at 198/80.

I went in about 7 wk ago and my BP was high. When I went home I came down with flu for a wk. Anyway I decided to make some dietary changes mainly cutting back on wine consumption and went in today and my BP 118/68, but the Dr. still is worried about my cholesterol. If it is high next time I do blood work in about 4 months I will tell the Dr so what if the BP is low and I continue to loose weight. I am 74. My mother that is hundred came to visit over the holidays and ans still walks reasonably well, but has problems with balance on rough ground. She decided to quit driving at 98. If I do as well as she is doing I will be quite happy.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

High Cholesterol levels can be genetically per-disposed for some people, but a lot of doctors default to meds. Also, you can reduce the bad (and average) Cholesterol level by making dietary changes as you've already begun to do. Adding Omega-3 fish oil to your daily diet regimen helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    High Cholesterol levels can be genetically per-disposed for some people, but a lot of doctors default to meds. Also, you can reduce the bad (and average) Cholesterol level by making dietary changes as you've already begun to do. Adding Omega-3 fish oil to your daily diet regimen helps too.
    I take in a lot of Omega-3 in the form of Herring. According to the container 3 grams per serving that I think is optimistic and I eat the entire can contents. I hate canned fish, but I like this particular brand and I have a back injury that I hope it helps with. You want your fish in water and not in any sort of oil used in the canning process that will extract the omegas and I still drink the juice any way to make sure I get everything that is in the fish. You want fish from unpolluted seas and that are lower on the food chain to avoid big mercury doses. Herring is a fatty fish from cold waters and is good omega 3 source.

Last edited by barnetmill; 01-16-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Great conversation, particularly about the "overintervention" from so many doctors and the medical industry itself. Nassim Taleb wrote about this as well:

"If you want to accelerate someone's death, give him a personal doctor. I don't mean provide him with a bad doctor; just pay for him to choose his own. Any doctor will do...doctors need to justify their salaries and prove to themselves that that they have a modicum of work ethic, something that 'doing nothing' doesn't satisfy."

Quote Originally Posted by Louis123 View Post
    Hi Gabe,

Thanks for posting the links to the article entitled "Don't fall prey to this medical mistake". I've been weight-training for a little over four years and have 17-inch biceps. On my last visit to the dentist, the hygenist insisted on taking my blood pressure, which was a first for me at a dentist's office. She measured the pressure in my left arm at 294/80 and the pressure in my left arm at 198/80.
    How did she measure it? at 294 you should been have been running a 4 minute mile going straight up a cliff lol.