Default CZ Scorpion Magazines

The magazines are the weakest link in many guns. This is particularly true with the CZ Scorpion. The factory mags have a history of broken feed lips. Pictured here is my first Scorpion mag failure:
    fullsizeoutput_593.jpg

fullsizeoutput_597.jpg

This is a factory 20-rd magazine. It has had probably 200 rounds or so fired through it and is about a year old. It has been kept fully loaded and generally stored in the gun. While inserted in the gun, the pressure would be relieved from the feed lips, lessening wear. The feed lips broke instantly and catastrophically, while the mag was removed from the gun and stored in the outside pocket of a backpack. The bag was sitting next to my bed. When I tossed a pair of pants onto the bag, I heard the pop. Upon opening the outer pocket, I found 19 loose rounds of ammo floating in the pocket and one round remaining in the mag.

The bulk of my magazines for this gun are the Manticore Arms 32-rd mags. Thus far, those mags have suffered no failures. I would really like to have a trustworthy 20-rd mag to make it easier to slip the gun out of a bag. But it looks like I'll be using the Manticore Mags (which are only available as 32-rd mags) exclusively. Those mags are not perfect. There are some reports of failures with the Manticore mags, though they are clearly more reliable than the factory mags. They follow the Lancer pattern of using steel feed lips on a polymer body.

The gun itself is quite popular, and deservedly so. But the mags are unsatisfactory. There is room in the market for a superior aftermarket magazine. I would also love to see such a mag produced in a 20-rd configuration. (And you may as well make some 10-rd mags for those living behind enemy lines.)

Magazines are essential to the overall platform. It is one of the reasons that Glock is so reliable. This flaw is significant enough that it has me looking at the Kriss Vector and thinking about picking one up.

Edited to add:
    Even better than making a new magazine, make an aftermarket lower that accepts Glock magazines. That would be awesome.
    Last edited by LawDog; 10-25-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Virtute et Armis

I barely use the 20 rounders and have all Manticore for real use. The few times I've used the 20s is as you say, for slipping into a bag. In the event I do that I load 1 and it resides in the gun, when I'm done with that It's removed, replaced with a 32 and unloaded before storing.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

LawDog and I had a great afternoon shooting our Scorpions in Orange. They suppress so damn well.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

Owner of Ray's Pawnshop in Bridge City TX

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    LawDog and I had a great afternoon shooting our Scorpions in Orange. They suppress so damn well.
    Cool now I have a good excuse to buy a pistol can

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    The magazines are the weakest link in many guns. This is particularly true with the CZ Scorpion. The factory mags have a history of broken feed lips. Pictured here is my first Scorpion mag failure:
    fullsizeoutput_593.jpg

fullsizeoutput_597.jpg

This is a factory 20-rd magazine. It has had probably 200 rounds or so fired through it and is about a year old. It has been kept fully loaded and generally stored in the gun. While inserted in the gun, the pressure would be relieved from the feed lips, lessening wear. The feed lips broke instantly and catastrophically, while the mag was removed from the gun and stored in the outside pocket of a backpack. The bag was sitting next to my bed. When I tossed a pair of pants onto the bag, I heard the pop. Upon opening the outer pocket, I found 19 loose rounds of ammo floating in the pocket and one round remaining in the mag.

The bulk of my magazines for this gun are the Manticore Arms 32-rd mags. Thus far, those mags have suffered no failures. I would really like to have a trustworthy 20-rd mag to make it easier to slip the gun out of a bag. But it looks like I'll be using the Manticore Mags (which are only available as 32-rd mags) exclusively. Those mags are not perfect. There are some reports of failures with the Manticore mags, though they are clearly more reliable than the factory mags. They follow the Lancer pattern of using steel feed lips on a polymer body.

The gun itself is quite popular, and deservedly so. But the mags are unsatisfactory. There is room in the market for a superior aftermarket magazine. I would also love to see such a mag produced in a 20-rd configuration. (And you may as well make some 10-rd mags for those living behind enemy lines.)

Magazines are essential to the overall platform. It is one of the reasons that Glock is so reliable. This flaw is significant enough that it has me looking at the Kriss Vector and thinking about picking one up.

Edited to add:
    Even better than making a new magazine, make an aftermarket lower that accepts Glock magazines. That would be awesome.
    Get ahold of CZ and see if they'll swap you to the new black windowed mags. On the Vector, the few examples I have seen run into a strange issue with the springs wearing out on the takedown pins VERY rapidly. When that happens, the pins start walking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    We also had a good comparison of cans. The Omega 9K is wonderfully short, but the Gemtech Multimount was noticeably quieter.
    Virtute et Armis

The Manticore Mags can definitely fail as the plastic tabs that hold the feed lips are ridiculously small and thin.

The new windowed mags from CZ are receiving rave reviews but most people have had them for 6 months or less so I don't believe long term reliability has been proven yet... But I have yet to see any with broken feed lips so it seems promising.
    They are $30 each so people naturally bitch about the extra $10, and so far there is not a 20rd version, and most importantly, sometimes you may need to file the bottom of the mag catch tab in order to make it fully seat... This is a hit and miss issue depending on your Scorpion and whichever mag release you are using.

I may just take my Manticore mags and run a bead of JB weld around the base of the metal of the feed lips.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I have had my Scorpion for a few months and have run a couple of hundred rounds through it. I leave three CZ 20 rd mags loaded and just noticed this week that one of the mags has a cracked feed lip. CZ is here in Kansas City. Think I will take my three mags over and see if they will swap for the windowed mags.
    Deus , et Libertas

DPS, CRG-2, CRG-3
    Dynamics of the Kalashnikov, Advanced Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting

So Magpul just had a new Scorpion Grip and Mag Release listed on their site but then pulled it down... Maybe an early leak? And maybe also Magazines will be coming as well since that's kinda what they do?
    Fingers crossed.