Thread: OKINAWAN KARATE

Default OKINAWAN KARATE

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

WONDERFUL editing to demonstrate bunkai! Ichiban!

geezer john

My introduction to karate was from a fellow who had studied in Okinawa, but I can't remember which style it was.
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

I studied Shorin Ryu from a school headed by Donald Bitanga. Mid 70s in Maryland
    In every country where independence has taken the place of liberty, the first desire of a manly heart is to possess a weapon, which at once renders him capable of defence or attack, and, by rendering its owner terrible, often makes him feared- Alexandre Dumas

As a young Marine, I was stationed at Camp Hansen on Okinawa from ‘91 until ‘93 and had the privilege of studying Shorin Ryu Karate under Grandmaster Sensei Eizo Shimabukuro.

He offered classes on base so I attended them on and off for about a year and a half. I wish I had committed more time to training, particularly since the man himself was teaching us, but I did manage to advance up a couple of belts. Looking back, the biggest thing that stuck with me is how amazing it was to watch him demonstrate a kata. That man moved and breathed with a fluidity that’s hard to describe.

He lived in Kin-ville, just outside the base, so once in a while he’d invite the class to meet at his home where he had some training equipment set up in his back yard.

He would not let us take pictures with him because he had trouble in the past with some douche bags that would take the picture back to the states and make false credential claims to scam people, but he did give me his business card which I still have.

I looked him up online recently and it looks like he died just last year. His older brother, Tatsuo, was the founder of Isshin Ryu.

30E430E2-49D8-4045-B915-C260B91A48A3.jpg03D0CAED-DF6A-4618-A8ED-39CC31F39276.jpg
    Last edited by SmokinHole; 10-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.

YES! This is what we keep telling people at my dojo! The Okinawans, in particular, worked a lot of this stuff out about 200 years ago. And the video really makes clear that the old methods, which the katas teach (and I recognized 95% of the katas, I know them myself) WORK.

I do not have direct experience with any of the okinawan schools, but I was impressed in the video by how much more similar the particular Tae Kwon do style was that I studied than were the Japanese styles that I trained in. The focus and tension at the end of an attack was identical and stances were much more similar. Strange one would think that the shotokan style would be closer to Okinawa karate and not something that went from Okinawa via japan to korea. The Koreans and the Okinawans do have a common history of resisting the old Japanese Empire, but I doubt that Okinawans went to korea to instruct over that way.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Not long before the Japanese invited Okinawans to teach Karate in Japan, they had still banned it in Okinawa but the ban was generally ignored. The Japanese were still hated by the Okinawans even in the 1980s when I spent several years there. You don't teach your enemies your best stuff. Even not long ago in that part of the world a teacher might have several varieties of classes: One for foreigners, one for locals who get shown something a bit different than what the foreigners get, and one where the only students are your son, your son-in-law, your nephew, and the son of your best friend. Only this group gets the whole real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hatfield View Post
    Not long before the Japanese invited Okinawans to teach Karate in Japan, they had still banned it in Okinawa but the ban was generally ignored. The Japanese were still hated by the Okinawans even in the 1980s when I spent several years there. You don't teach your enemies your best stuff. Even not long ago in that part of the world a teacher might have several varieties of classes: One for foreigners, one for locals who get shown something a bit different than what the foreigners get, and one where the only students are your son, your son-in-law, your nephew, and the son of your best friend. Only this group gets the whole real thing.
    So maybe some koreans went to Okinawa. The koreans in japan in the past and I guess even now were despised by the Japanese and were an underclass. Maybe the okinawans were more open with them. I am just guessing.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez