Default Handgun versus longguns?

Are handguns more advantageous for self-defense or long-guns?

I ask this given four criteria:

Weapon retention

Concealment

Control of fire and bullet penetration

Perception of cops

When you carry, you are liable for your gun. You can't do something stupid like an accidental discharge, or draw when your life isn't even in danger yet. You need to keep other people from touching your gun. You don't want a bad guy to single you out, because its obvious if you're the one guy with a gun. If your life is in danger, you need to be able to draw fast. If a gunfight happens, you want to engage the bad guy in way that limits collateral damage--it really sucks if one of your bullets hits an innocent bystander. Once the cops arrive, how do they tell who's who if everyone is armed?

So, given those criteria, which has the advantage and in what situations--handgun or long-gun?

Which is better... a tennis racket or a golf club?

If any one tool was significantly better than all other tools at all jobs you’d find pretty quickly that the other tools would drop from popularity pretty quickly.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

And how about that question that often shows on many a list - "If you could only have ONE gun for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

That sort of begs to the same thought process, doesn't it? No one weapon is an entire tool kit. Wasn't designed to be and can't be. There was a time in my life when most of my thought process and training went towards the carbine. I do not regret that time spent, but I do not spend significant time in that direction anymore. My current focus, and I guess my answer to your question, is towards the handgun. Especially now that I have had my eyes opened to the use of the red dot sight system, even the lowly handgun can at least be brought into action at a somewhat greater distance than I once thought possible! And it CAN always be with you concealed, and can be re-holstered as needed.

geezer john

Shogunater, what have you learned during your time here at Warrior Talk?
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

Owner of Ray's Pawnshop in Bridge City TX

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I am actually surprised at reading this.

Read the section with articles. I have discussed many times. I know that I dont have full sleeve ink and a neck beard, and dont do mag dumps on youtube...but I may know a few things.

The best gun for CQB, self defense, counter active shooter, etc.?

The one you ALWAYS have with you...most likely a handgun. And hopefully...if one has been reading anything I have written...it will be a full sized fighting pistol with a high capacity magazine and a red dot.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Since we are beating horses that died so long ago that their flesh has sloughed off to reveal only bones....Which caliber?

Just kidding!!! Really...just kidding.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptShack View Post
    Since we are beating horses that died so long ago that their flesh has sloughed off to reveal only bones....Which caliber?

NO
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptShack View Post

Seems like a precision bolt action chambered in 9mm with a 50 rd drum mag stuffed with those little 9mm shot shells would cover all the bases nicely.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

"Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!