Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Hello WT'ers

I am looking for recommendations for a reliable 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun for 14 yo grand-daughter. She is 5' 3" 105 Lbs.

It will be used mainly for trap shooting but will also serve as a home defense gun, so it should be capable of shooting field loads as well as #3 buckshot reliably.

She has no problem shooting the Remington 870 20ga 18" Youth Model, but would prefer a semi-auto if at all possible, hoping for a milder recoil and quicker follow up shots.

Thanks.
    Have you considered a 1301? They seem to work very well with low recoil tactical ammunition, and i recall the only semi 20ga ive shot kicking a lot harder using the available buckshot than i do the 12ga LE loadings. See if you can at least get her behind one before nixing the idea.

You may have to stretch a couple benjamins beyond 600, but its also a quality firearm that will have growth potential so you wont be buying a 12ga to replace that 20 in a couple of years.

Hmm. - I didnít know that Beretta made 20 gauge 1301.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Hmm. - I didn’t know that Beretta made 20 gauge 1301.
    If recoil isnt an issue, then id recommend the Benelli m1 in 20, used, if it can be found. I was presenting a lower recoil option, but the Benelli fits your bill. Im just not into the knockoffs or American autoloaders. If you do decide to spend more and want less recoil, the x400/blink from Beretta can be had in 12 or 20.
    Last edited by UNO; 10-24-2018 at 03:10 AM.

CZ 720 G2 or ALS or 920

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Another vote for a vintage Rem 1100.

My first shotgun 35+ years ago was a LT20 magnum. Sweet shooting gun. Still in the safe and I will be handing it down. Im sure there are some out there used for a decent price as everyone is moving to the camo crusted guns in the duck blinds and woods. Beyond the weather proof finish etc I hate em. They are ugly as sin. I see lots of older 1100s on tables at gun shows around here. Older generally means better build quality IMHO. You can see it handling a newer 870 vs an older one. Those 60s-80s guns were just beautifully made. Also back then people took better care of their shit! Guns cost a lot back then comparatively. Ones for sale now probably have been in grand pa's or dad's gun cabinet untouched, or used little in the last 20 yrs, until they keeled over last month and got sold off in the estate.

Everything is in a race to the bottom to make it onto the gun rack at Walmart now...

There also should be some barrels that take choke tubes for them if it doesnt come with one.

I have an 1187. Its just OK. I never understood all the fascination with being able to go from 3 in to 2 3/4 at the blink of an eye. 3 in for waterfowl and 2 3/4 for everything else. I dont walk out the door in the morning to shoot geese then head over to the dove field in the afternoon lol. Spare barrels arent that much, or buy another gun.

As far as stoeger goes I was talking to guy at a 4H shotgun match last Sunday and he said he had a youth O&U and had to send it back 3+ times for them to fix it right. I had been looking at them for my boy. 2nd thoughts now.

Edit: Just reread you original post about the HD part. 2 3/4 hi brass turkey or duck should be a decent stand in for HD at rooms length distances. I sure as hell would want to get hit with it at 15-20 ft.

7M3
    Last edited by 7 Mary 3; 11-01-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add

Any comments on the CZ-USA 720 G2 ?
    http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-720-g2-20-gauge-26-barrel/

It is a gas operated 20 gauge with a 26" barrel. MSRP is $516.00 USD and Street prices I have found from $449 at Buds to $504 at Davidsons + tax.

It comes with 5 screw-in chokes (F,IM,M,IC,C)

Overall Length is 47 inches with Length Of Pull is 14 1/2 inches and Weight 6.3 lbs. This gun might be too big for her. She is used to shooting the 20 gauge 870 Express Jr. which has an 18 1/4 inch barrel with OAL of 37 inches with LOP of 12 inches and Weight 5.9 lbs.

I'm going to have her try my old Savage Pump (OAL 47.0", LOP 14 1/4", 28" barrel and Weight is 7.4 lbs) and see how well she can handle a shotgun that large.

I just don't have a semi-auto shot gun for her to try out. I will check with my brother. I think he still has my dad's old Ithaca 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun.

TIA
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson