Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    One thing I have wondered about is how much the idea of a semi auto mag fed shotgun being the best option has been inspired by video games. Far too many people's only exposure to guns is from video games so I can see how it would color peoples opinions of things.

In a video game a mag fed shotgun is great because who cares how big and heavy the mags are and the ability to do high damage per second is a good goal. Its also true that video games almost never do weapons damage correct because game developers want to balance damage and game play for a fun game not make it realistic. Player would scream that shotguns are over powered if they could kill another player with a single shot. While shotguns will usually do higher damage then other weapons it will still take multiple shots to down another player so things like a Saiga or an AA12 are the order of the day since they fire faster and have a higher capacity.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Sounds about right. Why listen to anyone like us when you have John Wick and Grand Theft Auto.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I did buy a saiga which is still unconverted and almost factory stock. I purchased it when others here were doing the same. It works, but in its factory configuration has a horrible trigger pull and for now I am using used full size pump shotgun when I need a shotgun. I use them at night for things that set the dogs off at night loaded with number 4 buck. That load in high velocity format should be good from coons and coyotes up to people and small bears.
    I have not yet decided what I want to do with the saiga 12. I found out from gun gamers that the bolt-carrier gas rod cracks with extended use. Just was not made and engineered correctly. There are after market replacements around and there is a gunsmithing solution for it also. Frankly anything bigger than a 5 round mag is too big for it in my opinion and for it to still handle like a shotgun.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    One thing I have wondered about is how much the idea of a semi auto mag fed shotgun being the best option has been inspired by video games.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Sounds about right. Why listen to anyone like us when you have John Wick and Grand Theft Auto.
    I think one of the issues is people seem to confuse the role of shotguns and rifles. As Gabe pointed out a shotgun is NOT the best choice of weapon for a sustained fight, sure it can be forced into that role; but there are better choices--thus the lessor need for huge magazine capacities and speed reloads. Silly gun games (3 Gun, etc) reinforce this idea.

I suppose if your AO rules out better options then the shotgun must be forced into multiple roles and then mag fed seems like a good choice; but in those places large mags are probably denied as well.

I still think the converted Saiga is a cool gun with "cool factor" and I may own one at some point, but as I've said before, the only reason I can think of for a box fed shotgun is if you have to completely unload and reload the weapon. For example switching from breeching rounds to lethal, or from less lethal to lethal, and both these examples are not common as you can easily breech with lethal rounds and switch platforms if you need to go hot from less than lethal. Both my examples are so rare as to not be statistically relevant.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I commented once that I like the idea of guarding a fatal funnel with a mag fed shotgun and pile of loaded mags as a hoard of enemies tries to come through. It’s just not something likely enough for me to have such a weapon.
    For my (and I believe most peoples as discussed) uses; a standard tube fed shotgun remains the obvious choice due to simplicity and reliability.
    Great review though. Much appreciated that you admit to starting with a bias but reported your findings honestly.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

One great value of the tube-fed shotgun is its form factor - the envelope that can contain it is considerably smaller than any detachable box-fed weapon. This becomes especially evident in the Tac-14/Shockwave-sized weapons.

The ease of carrying the tube-fed gun with you makes it much more likely that you'll actually have it with you when you need it, and the value of a gun in your hand is infinitely greater than one in the safe, no matter how many rounds it carries.

Thus, the DBM shotgun loses one of the shotgun's greatest advantages.
    Armed Puritan

I can see where a DBM shotgun could replace the SMG (and you know how hard that is for me to say) in a purely CQB situation; but that is largely fantasy, and still not the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I can see where a DBM shotgun could replace the SMG (and you know how hard that is for me to say) in a purely CQB situation; but that is largely fantasy, and still not the best choice.
    Meh.... the argument could be made but 10' and 35' are vastly different from a cqb study
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Greg we don't disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Meh.... the argument could be made but 10' and 35' are vastly different from a cqb study
    ....and as I said the argument is largely fantasy; but that's one of the factors that many claim when talking about a DBM shotgun. They would counter that the substituting a SMG back into the argument would be a case of 30 yards VS 200 yards in the case of SMGs VS Rifle, or 200 yards VS 800 yards in a Carbine VS Rifle debate

Again Im NOT a fan of DBM shotguns in general or even most situations (even most fantasy situations); but we do know that many are and many make those choices, just like many buy Mossbergs over Remingtons. Its seems a good idea to know why.
    Last edited by EDELWEISS; 10-23-2018 at 06:37 AM.