Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I always had an interest in martial arts, and started studying TKD when I was about nine. When I was 17, I had my first serious fight and got the absolute shit kicked out of me by three grown men in a park. This caused me to rethink my stance on martial arts. About a year later I found a good Shotokan dojo in Riverside under Ray Dalke and learned to fight. I stuck with Shotokan (though on deployments I've had the chance to train with some Kyokushin and Ashihara guys), and when the army sent me to combatives courses I took it as a chance to up my ground game. Then they sent me to more combatives courses and though I still dislike grappling, I can do it if I need to. I still study karate, though I've distanced myself from the organizations these days.

Very little here.... Dad starting teaching me to box from age 6 when the first (and last) bully blacked my eye. A little wrestling in grade school and junior high, some secondhand TKD as a sparring partner/dummy for my older brother who was already out of the house. Hunting and target shooting from an early age. Rucking/backpacking since age 12, Weight training since age 17 and 16+ years manhandling drunks and tweakers on the FD and later Ambu.

Be Courageous And Strong.
    Joshua 1 vs 7

Karate (TKD) as a kid.
    Grandpa was a boxer in Cuba, so he taught punching, ducking, protecting my face, etc.
    Aikido as a teen.
    A few street fights/attempted muggings thrown in.
    Krav Maga for the last year and a 1/2.

Mario

I started my martial arts training at about age seven in Pennsylvania. I studied under Sensei Don Garon, and through the years (took a hiatus between 7th grade and junior year of high school) I had the chance to attend seminars with Dan Inosanto, Eric Paulson, Ajarn Chai Sirisute, and a few others. The school's curriculum was a blend of Okinawan Kenpo Karate, Muy Thai, Eskrima, and Combat Submission Wrestling. Sensei Garon taught Jeet Kune Do philosophy, without getting mystical. Had a number of memorable instructors. One was a former Marine Recon guy that was heavy into the SCA, and taught me some interesting things about knives and swords. Had mandatory boxing and wrestling at VMI. Spent a semester on the fencing team there as well (foil only, never advanced any further), and the team disbanded when the faculty adviser took a sabbatical.

After college, I spent five years in the Army, though even in a front-line unit the warrior spirit wasn't what it used to be. Army combatives training was mostly a joke, on the few occasions we got to train. Haven't done much in the way of training hand-to-hand work since then, though I'm starting to explore dojos for my six year old stepson. Aside from a few scuffles in school, and one forceful removal of a friend's keys to keep him from driving drunk recently, I've managed to stay out of any serious fights.

I don't consider myself a ninja or a viking, but it always just seemed important to me to know how/be prepared to fight. Like tying your shoes, building a fire, or properly using a pocketknife. WarriorTalk has actually been a great source of inspiration and discussion for me, so I have to include this forum as a part of my martial background too.
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

Formerly ArmyCadet08

Dad taught me wrestling from an early age
    Tae Kwon Do for a short while
    Athlete most of my life in one way or another
    Some Hapkido, Jiujitsu, and general submission wrestling over the years, largely informal with friends and acquaintances who had formal training. I’d include some parkour/exploration stuff, climbing up multi-story buildings via drain pipes and exploring places I wasn’t supposed to be.
    Some marksmanship/gunhandling training in the military.

For those thinking of indirect martial training, as strange as it may sound tournament paintball was huge for me. Learning from high level pros to shoot with both eyes open looking over the barrel, screaming crowds and opposing players while having to keep situational awareness and listen to your own team, and it was nothing to keep a string of paintballs on a 2’ square or less target zone 20-30 yards away while at nearly a dead run. If you can’t use those skills to transition into the take-off, GOTX, reflex shooting, etc., I don’t know what to tell you. A few years later I started training with SI and it’s like being part of a secret gunfighter society compared to pretty much all other shooters I’ve been around.

I trained freestyle wrestling and judo as a kid in Cuba, tried boxing also but I canít box for shit.
    My two brothers are pretty good at boxing but somehow I just canít learn how to box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk