Default AAR: Force on Force Oct 2018

Many thanks to Gabe, Brent and Greg for an intense, fun three days at the Force on Force in Prescott that ended today. Sitting here with ice on my knee but happy none the less. It was a big group, probably over twenty guys. But all three instructors gave us tons of individual attention. There was a wide array of age, athleticism and martial arts backgrounds. Yet somehow they pulled off teaching us all how to react to a sudden attack and not only not get shot, but to win.

The katas. If you learn and practice them, you will train yourself to move reactively and automatically, perhaps not as swiftly as Walter Payton but, ten times better than you could ever move without the katas. We went back and forth- katas, dry train, live fire, repeat. I WILL practice them at home. More new katas are on the horizon.

So glad I had Simunitions. As close to the real thing as possible. Much better than airsoft.

Get your endurance up before such a class, as Gabe forewarned. High altitude, vigorous moments, while wearing a stupid mask that makes you re-breathe your own CO2 at 5,000 feet. Good motivation to get more fit. But even us older chubbies with injury related limitations got way more mobile than I thought possible. The training was tailored to your capacity, but I found myself pushing beyond what I thought I had left in me.

While we were training, the bangs and clinks of the gun-golfing shooters at the adjacent range actually made me feel bad for them. They may never know what they are missing, perhaps until it is too late.

Totally agree with the above! Well except being on the receiving end of the Simunitions haha!
    Standout points to me...
    -Don’t let yourself get target/gun-fixated. Shoot and ride the recoil up their face.
    -Don’t stop moving. That’s when you get shot.
    -Do something and MOVE, even if it’s not perfect.
    -IT WORKS!!! (Go figure! Haha)
    I’ve already told a few people, if there was only one class I could ever take, THIS would be the one. Glad that’s not the case though!
    At SBUX this morning I even caught myself looking over my shoulder and working the Watch Your Back kata.
    Thanks to Gabe, Brent, and Greg for the great instruction, and to all the other guys for making great training partners!
    (and no ice here today, but plenty of Advil haha)
    Check 6,
    Air Pirate out.
    tw/ig: @SoCalAirPirate

"Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization."
    -Charles Lindbergh

"The skies are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to fly before I sleep..."

Yes, Outstanding class...

Pre-Class:
    I have extensive firearms training, but no Martial Arts background at all. Was concerned before-hand that this class was going to be "Martial Arts" and that there was very little that I would be able to pick up in three days.

Post-Class:
    The guys with Martial Arts background certainly picked up the techniques quicker, but those of us without it might have learned even more. This class stressed that a Gunfight is more accurately called a fight with a gun (available). The techniques were simple, but effective. I was definitely able to learn them in three days, and have the solid foundation to be able to practice them on my own now. It will obviously take much more practice to "master" the techniques.

Key Points:
    1) Move OFF of the Line of Attack (Get off of the "X")
    2) Move in to a position of tactical advantage (ex: flank)
    3) Counter-attack

Point # 1 is first because.....It's the most important. That's what we worked on the most. It sounds simple, and everybody knows that you are supposed to get off of the "X". However, to the previously untrained, it is actually harder to do than it sounds.

The beauty of the Diagonal Lines and Watch your back Katas is that it teaches you how to use your body mechanics (and gravity) to achieve the most displacement off of the "X" in the quickest time possible - all while loading your legs to launch you in to further movement.

Learning these "Takeoffs" was invaluable to saving your life in a gunfight, - specifically a reactive gunfight. As I process and internalize the lessons from this weekend, I think that the terminology of calling them "Takeoffs" actually understates their significance. A Takeoff, to me, sounds like you are "revving" up to subsequent movement (and that is certainly true - see Key Point #2). Most importantly, The Takeoffs that we learned this weekend first took care of Key Point #1 (get off the "X") in that the very first movement displaced your body both vertically and laterally off of the "X" - (so that you don't get shot!). In my mind, I was learning "Diving Takeoffs" (controlled dive, loading your legs for movement).

This is a game changer.....

Quote Originally Posted by Air Pirate View Post
    Totally agree with the above! Well except being on the receiving end of the Simunitions haha!
    Standout points to me...
    -Don’t let yourself get target/gun-fixated. Shoot and ride the recoil up their face.
    -Don’t stop moving. That’s when you get shot.
    -Do something and MOVE, even if it’s not perfect.
    -IT WORKS!!! (Go figure! Haha)
    I’ve already told a few people, if there was only one class I could ever take, THIS would be the one. Glad that’s not the case though!
    At SBUX this morning I even caught myself looking over my shoulder and working the Watch Your Back kata.
    Thanks to Gabe, Brent, and Greg for the great instruction, and to all the other guys for making great training partners!
    (and no ice here today, but plenty of Advil haha)
    Sorry but the head shots, but Greg's t-shirt told me to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by doctom View Post
    Sorry but the head shots, but Greg's t-shirt told me to do it!
    First off I'd like to thank the instructors for providing informative and inspiring content. I have sworn off all social media and forum talk BS, but this class has inspired me to stay in tune with the tribe. I feel truly honored to have been fortunate enough to train with like minded warriors. I look forward to training with you all in the future (except Mr. Skin Suit) and continuing to be a good "bad guy" allowing you motherfuckers (hahaha) to keep shooting me in the face!!

Go-Knights-Go