Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have been doing kata for 37 years. Not that I understood them when I started, but even in my young state of ignorance the movement patterns were putting the grooves in the record. I believe them to be a timeless, and time-proven, method for programming both the mind and body. It's a pretty simple concept but sometimes the simplest stuff is very, very deep.

One notable instructor that I have great respect for told me that he didn't believe in kata. "It was the best transmission system that they had at the time, but now we have better stuff." I strongly disagree. A physical medium must be taught physically. YES, video is a huge training enhancement. It creates a solid historic record, it makes great "notes", it is a great aid to learning. But no matter how much one studies a video, it is empty, powerless knowledge until it is put into physical practice. Kata has great value for many things, but the primary value is in the PRACTICE. Knowledge is not power unless it is made real in the flesh.

Video is an excellent tool, especially for those who don't have regular access to an instructor. Film yourself and you can correct your mistakes, as long as you know what to look for.

The old methods are relevant because the human body is no different than it was 3,000 years ago. And they will continue to be relevant as long as we have physical bodies (and who knows, perhaps even after). And the old methods can be enhanced with modern tools. Old and new in accord.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

The thirteenth precept -

"Knowledge is not power unless it is made real in the flesh."

Yamamoto Sensei - 10/16/18
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

OSS
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The thirteenth precept -

"Knowledge is not power unless it is made real in the flesh."

Yamamoto Sensei - 10/16/18
    And OSS!
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Nice pictures and it sounds like some learning has happened on all levels from students and instructors. Looks like a class Id enjoy taking.