Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    My modified Altamonts give up very little in terms of concealment efficacy. The trade off for the distinctly improved shooting grip is well worth it for me. It really depends upon one's hand size.

P1100281 W .jpg

P1100282 W .jpg

Being old, retired and somewhat decrepit, I do find myself carrying one of my J-frames when I need greater discretion fairly often. Usually, it's a 340 M&P due to it's light weight. I also have and occasionally carry a 640-2 (magnum frame), an old Model 36 I rebuilt and one of my old Model 60's that was my backup and off-duty piece in the late 70's - early 80's. I had sold the 60 off to a partner years ago after it had been with me for a number of years. The partner approached me a couple of years ago and wanted to get something a "little lighter and flatter". I was happy to trade him a S&W Shield in 9mm to get my old 60 back. I've since rebuilt it and cleaned it up. It rarely gets carried these days and simply serves as a reminder of the "good old days". After many years of toting semi-autos almost exclusively, I find I'm drawn back to my little J-frames from time to time. I agree with Gabe; they still have some application in today's world.

I always have a 340PD in my left pocket. I like the PD models because there is as little steel as possible to rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Salyards View Post
    Just my take on it gentlemen....but my thought here is that the grip of the gun is the hardest part to conceal - so if your gun is going to have a bigger grip then that bigger grip should be on a bigger gun.

I understand a grip needs to fill the hand and work effectively - but I just can’t see having the footprint of a medium or full size gun and pairing that with the capability of a small sized gun.

This is not intended to invalidate anyone’s personal decision about what works for them - because if it works for you - then hey - it works for you. It’s just not the way I would do it.

I think the one of the main benefits of the J-frame is how it is so easy to conceal - with larger grips you are giving that up - then you get a hard recoiling gun with a short sight radius that is not easy to hide - at that point I am not sure what niche is being effectively filled?

What are your thoughts? This comment is meant conversationally - not as a dick measuring statement.

Jake
    If it were, wouldn't bigger be better?

This is not a theoretical discussion. I need to be able to draw the BUG out of a side cargo pocket with either hand under stress. The grip I acquire will be imperfect. Also, under stress, my index finger tends to get too far into the guard and hit my thumb, affecting the trigger stroke. Material behind the backstrap helps prevent this.

So for this app-- the migrating gun that lives in a cargo pocket with occasional trips to the jacket --I want a grip that has sufficient length and trigger reach and lacks a grip filler behind the guard.

For other hands, and other apps, other grips.

P,S.: Next time I run a picture of a handgun I'll make sure it's actual size--on my PC they look larger than a Colt New Service!
    Last edited by Papa; 10-12-2018 at 04:59 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 1, 14. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Salyards View Post
    Just my take on it gentlemen....but my thought here is that the grip of the gun is the hardest part to conceal - so if your gun is going to have a bigger grip then that bigger grip should be on a bigger gun.

I understand a grip needs to fill the hand and work effectively - but I just canít see having the footprint of a medium or full size gun and pairing that with the capability of a small sized gun.

This is not intended to invalidate anyoneís personal decision about what works for them - because if it works for you - then hey - it works for you. Itís just not the way I would do it.

I think the one of the main benefits of the J-frame is how it is so easy to conceal - with larger grips you are giving that up - then you get a hard recoiling gun with a short sight radius that is not easy to hide - at that point I am not sure what niche is being effectively filled?

What are your thoughts? This comment is meant conversationally - not as a dick measuring statement.

Jake
    Jake, I cannot disagree with anything you said there. Just for the sake of conversation, my 442 is currently wearing a Hogue Tamer grip. It does add a little size to the grip- it allows me full three-finger purchase, including the pinky. I wouldn't say it's as large as a "medium frame" grip, but not as small as it could be, either. The rubber Hogue material softens recoil and helps hold the pistol more stable AIWB, sans holster. Add the Performance Center trigger job and I have a J-frame that I can draw and shoot fairly quickly and very accurately. As accurate as my G19? No. Still, very concealable, both AIWB and on the ankle. Haven't tried it in a coat pocket yet but that weather's coming...

I recently attended a street dance with my wife that was posted no-carry and patrolled by uniformed P.D. I was in jeans and a t-shirt and danced a few dances with my wife while carrying the J AIWB in a Sticky holster. Obviously was not made. I don't post this to contradict in any way the very valid points you make about maximizing the niche in which the J-frame fits. Like you said, it works for me... although I'll admit that I often look at better, smaller grips for it to improve/minimize its footprint.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

I've owned several J frames over the last 4 decades, of all frame types and most barrel lengths. Of those, the keepers are these:

20181014_122438.jpg

The top one is a Mod 37 spurless, tuned by the late Austin Behlert. Smooth trigger, Eagle SS smooth grips. This is my preferred ankle carry. I acquired this one in 1980. This 37 was my LE BUG back in the day.

The bottom is a 442-1 nickel that is bone stock, acquired around 1996. This is my preferred rover, with a smooth faced trigger from the factory. The action isn't quite as slick as the 37, however it's pretty good for factory.

IMO, the steel & stainless steel frame J's have their place. That said, I have yet to find a Scandium or Ti frame J that I wanted to keep. My personal preference by far is the Airweight frame.

Obsolete? Not for ankle, at least not for me. And as a rover, that 442 remains relevant, at least for me.

Both will trigger stage. Both are predictable. Both are light. Both are very reliable. And both fill very specific niches.

Two very nice Js. I've been looking for a good old 37 (but +P marked) for a long time. I've only encountered beaters.

Newer 37s, with the altered frame pattern and frame-mounted firing pin, just don't look right.

When the world was much younger, I shot an Agent and a Model 38 loose. Shame on me.

2, 1, 14. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Two very nice Js. I've been looking for a good old 37 (but +P marked) for a long time. I've only encountered beaters...
    An old frame Model 37 +P may be pretty rare...I personally have not seen one in the wild.

I know of one, and the owner's not giving it up.

2, 1, 14. And a wakeup.