Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking For A Daypack

Hello Tribe.

I'm looking for a daypack for use when hiking with my family. The last time I purchased a quality pack was about 1996, so it's time. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Not too big. I know myself, and if there's room, I'll fill it. I have a great pack for backpacking / overnight trips, and great bags for urban EDC. This will specifically be for day trips in the woods.
    2) Not too tactical. Think hippy hiker, not tactical operator.
    3) Hydration bladder compatible.
    4) Room for a real medical kit - I'm an EMT and hate to think that I would not be able to treat a reasonable injury on the trail due to lack of gear. Ideally, this medical kit would be housed in a separate compartment that opens completely flat so it's easy to see where everything is during a high-stress moment.
    5) Room for some 2nd line fighting gear - think spare magazines, etc. Primary will be carried on-body.
    6) Decent suspension system - if I'm wearing this thing all day, I don't want to regret it the next day.

I've recently been hiking with a Maxpedition Versapack and I really enjoy it, but it is smaller than ideal, has no hydration bladder (I carry a 1-liter Nalgene in it easily, but that's not enough for a full day) and not really comfortable for a full day on the trail. I've looked at the 5.11 COVRT18 and it looks like it has a lot of what I'm looking for, but some tactical gimmicks I don't need and without the open-flat pocket for the medical kit.

Anyone have a great bag they'd suggest I look at?

I found one of these on sale and it is a very nice pack. Not so big, not so small, just right... and has room for a hydration bladder....

https://www.rei.com/product/896904/o...-pack-3-liters

It's pricey, but I've been extremely happy with my Goruck GR0 (now sold as the GR1 21L). This was my pack load-out for my last mountain trip: https://packconfig.com/loadout/loado...ng-14ers-pack/. I've hiked hundreds of miles with it, with normal daypack hiking loads, but also with weight plates and sand-bags up to 55 lbs.

Pros:
    • EXTREMELY durable. Bombproof construction, has held up to what would definitely constitute "abuse".
    • Essentially waterproof (although not labelled as such). Hiked for 45 minutes in driving rain, found that books and papers inside were still completely dry, with no additional coverings. (I still use waterproof cases/bags for sensitive items).
    • Super comfortable. One of the most comfortable packs I've had, and I've gone through a lot. Bags are my personal vice. I was skeptical of carrying heavy loads with no waist belt, but the way this bag is designed, carrying normal loads is very, very comfortable.
    • Useful design: Instead of lots of pockets, pouches, etc., it has a pretty minimalist approach that lets you customize what you carry how you want.
    • Not uber-tactical looking, especially in other colors. The Coyote Brown color looks really good.

Cons:
    • Expensive, relatively speaking (you get what you pay for).
    • May be overkill, depending on your hiking needs.
    • Not super-customized for very specific pursuits. I will likely replace this with a purpose-built ultralight endurance racing pack for future single-day summit attempts; something with more pockets in front to retain electronics and food.

Hope this helps!
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

Osprey’s are all I own now, for the reasons you listed. I’ve got a small one that’s my gym bag, a mid size one that doubles as a flight bag at work and a day hiker when I’m not, and a larger one that for luggage (including Stakeout) when I’m on the road. All over 5 years old with minimal wear.
    Check 6,
    Air Pirate out.
    tw/ig: @SoCalAirPirate

"Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization."
    -Charles Lindbergh

"The skies are lovely, dark, and deep,
    but I have promises to keep,
    and miles to fly before I sleep..."

Quote Originally Posted by jesselp View Post

1) Not too big. I know myself, and if there's room, I'll fill it. I have a great pack for backpacking / overnight trips, and great bags for urban EDC. This will specifically be for day trips in the woods
    This comes from experience
    2) Not too tactical. Think hippy hiker, not tactical operator.
    3) Hydration bladder compatible.
    Most are these days
    4) Room for a real medical kit - I'm an EMT and hate to think that I would not be able to treat a reasonable injury on the trail due to lack of gear. Ideally, this medical kit would be housed in a separate compartment that opens completely flat so it's easy to see where everything is during a high-stress moment.
    5) Room for some 2nd line fighting gear - think spare magazines, etc. Primary will be carried on-body.
    6) Decent suspension system - if I'm wearing this thing all day, I don't want to regret it the next day.
    Something I also look for is a stiff back if it's an unframed pack. The 2 I use currently are these:

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/ov...processed=true

https://www.opticsplanet.com/5-11-ta...ack-56998.html
    Bold
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I'm a outright Mystery Ranch fanboy, this:
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack

Is the civvy version of their 3 Day Assault pack, which I have and have abused daily for the last few years.

Also a big fan of the ospery packs with the mesh/frame standoff for hot weather. Can't fit much in them however.

Al
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI

Kelly Red Wing is a sold pack for the money. I've carried 30lbs in mine on a 10mile day hike and it did fine. It comes in a couple different sizes too.
    Beyond that you have about 10,000 other packs to pick from.
    You can spend more but the zippers, webbing, stitching and buckles are all pretty much the same once you getting to and beyond Kelty quality.

Mystery Ranch is good stuff. My wife and I are still using our Dana Designs packs (the company the owner of mystery ranch had before he sold it). These packs are from 1998-98
    FB_IMG_1538779002204.jpg
    Last edited by psalms23dad; 10-05-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

My packs are Osprey. I have a Daylite Plus and Stratus 24. Both are advertised as day hike packs. The Stratus 24 has an internal frame and padded belt. The Daylite Plus is less structured, but has a stiff beck.

I've been very happy with this from vertx: https://vertx.com/product/4502

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'm a outright Mystery Ranch fanboy, this:
    https://www.mysteryranch.com/scree-pack

Is the civvy version of their 3 Day Assault pack, which I have and have abused daily for the last few years.

Also a big fan of the ospery packs with the mesh/frame standoff for hot weather. Can't fit much in them however.

Al
    That Scree looks interesting. I have been looking on and off for a pack and that is pretty much what I was looking for.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015