Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    Have to chime in on this one with a personal example. I very recently had an accident where my unarmored body(did have a helmet) hit pavement at roughly 25-30mph, rather directly with very little skidding or rolling. I’m still walking with massive bruising and strain/sprains as opposed to crutches and casts. I attribute that to a lifetime of being an athlete and keeping in relative shape; quite simply my muscle served as armor and reinforcement, protecting my shoulders, hip, leg, and neck.

Now I’m trying to force myself to stay down and recover to allow the soft tissues to heal properly. I’m blessed! I can’t wait to get back up and going again.
    There is much truth to your post - not to mention that I am glad to hear you are doing well and that it didn't end up worse for you. I will certainly be praying for your speedy and complete recovery.

I can't count the times that I heard doctors tell people that were involved in crashes and other violent incidents that their prior state of fitness played a part in minimizing their injuries. It's more than simply looking good, it really does have multiple benefits that people simply don't think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    There is much truth to your post - not to mention that I am glad to hear you are doing well and that it didn't end up worse for you. I will certainly be praying for your speedy and complete recovery.

I can't count the times that I heard doctors tell people that were involved in crashes and other violent incidents that their prior state of fitness played a part in minimizing their injuries. It's more than simply looking good, it really does have multiple benefits that people simply don't think about.
    Thank you for your prayers, truly. I’m not saying I’m anything special to look at or any physical specimen, hopefully that’s not how it came across; matter of fact I’d consider myself rather lazy compared to some here.

It’s hard to add to Speed is Life’s post but the reality and magnitude of the mediocrity is stunning. It’s sad, but pearls before swine is real. You can’t make them understand or change.

Eh. An acquaintance of mine called me a pussy when I told him the leg was wearing on me that day, swelling wasn’t much better. He’s probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwilliams View Post
    I know some really nasty old sons of bitches with real physical limitations.
    In my experience (and no joke) there isn't any other kind of really nasty old son of a bitch.

Although half the time you wouldn't even know it unless they told you.

Right of the bat I vote no for specialty classes.

The person with a physical challenge PPC will perform way above their abilities keeping up with the rest of the group. Being pushed by the group who do not really know what their so called "limitations"are supposed to be.

This brings me to my second point. Because the PPC is working as hard as he can the rest of the group will work harder themselves not wanting the be "embarrassed"-being "out worked" by the dude with the physical challenge-in turn being pushed themselves.

This leads to a class with a high energy level where everybody is working as hard as they possibly can. Enjoying training that is not watered down/slowed down for one person in class. People will soon forget that there is somebody in their mists with a "disability"and will only be focused on their own training.

I personally don`t like to sit and do nothing while the rest of the group continue to train. If it could be done safely I would bring extra ammo, move to a different part of the range and to train the material already covered. Starting to get the Reps in. Having that corner of the range already set up. So that I am able to simply move over a short distance and continue shooting. Not wasting any training time. Mine/the groups.

Set the course up in such a way so that the content is not split in half of what I will be able to do. So my day of training does not end suddenly halfway through the course. Design the course in such a way that I get to move back and forth between training with the group and having to train solo throughout the day.

Have the whole group train together at the start and end of the day,placing the drills I cannot take part in, in the middle. This allows me to warm up both mentally and physically getting to grips with the training. Near the middle of the day I would already have started to think about Fighting & Training Solutions I would like to try out. Welcoming some time to mtrain solo.

Ending with the group helps me to cool down mentally and to signal that the day`s training is over.

FOOTNOTE: Their is virtually no chance that I will be attacked by another PPC. Training with "normal" people all the time gives me the best possible preparation to not only survive but to win.

Cheers
    Elfie

I would like to share how I thought about my training through the years and how that held me back for a long time. Secondly how what people said about my training efforts and goals had an effect on my thinking. Hoping that my words will resonate with the tribe members here dealing with physical challenges.

Stop focusing on what you can`t do, playing the IF Only Game. If I could only move perfectly-normally without a physical challenge I would be so much better at fighting Doing this your are going to waste years of valuable training time. If you have already started training you will simply go through the motions doing this, not improving. Whishing for the impossible instead of working towards an EFFECTIVE TOOLBOX THAT IS POSSIBLE FOR YOU.

Almost as bad as the If Only Game is beating yourself up. If you set aside 10 min. a day to practise dry fire and you started out doing this the first 2 days and the stopped, not having the self discipline to complete the week , telling yourself the rest of the week how you suck is not going to help. Instead the negativity will bleed into your thinking and influence the rest of your training and reaching your other goals not related to conditioning and self defence.

First focus on the fact that you at least spend 20 min a week dry firing. That the whole week was not wasted. Working on your thinking to not always focus on the negative. Next sit down and figure out what got in the way. For example if you sit down at night first with a cup of coffee, watching a bit of television with the intention of getting to your drills after the program you are watching ends but instead it turns into one more program until it is time for bed with a firm promise to do better tomorrow. You now know that you find it hard tearing yourself away from the couch when you have settled down for the day.

New Plan: Record the program. Finish your coffee "standing up" and complete your drills first, before switching on the television and settling down. Buying programs with dry fire practise.
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    For example if you sit down at night first with a cup of coffee, watching a bit of television with the intention of getting to your drills after the program you are watching ends but instead it turns into one more program until it is time for bed with a firm promise to do better tomorrow. You now know that you find it hard tearing yourself away from the couch when you have settled down for the day.

New Plan: Record the program. Finish your coffee "standing up" and complete your drills first, before switching on the television and settling down. Buying programs with dry fire practise.
    You nailed it right there. Fatigue and the list of things that must be done immediately upon homecoming often kill any resolve to train. And the short days, rain and darkness don't help. My solution, since there are no children in the house, may be to dump all my gear on the deck, throw on a headlamp, and run every day. Once you break through that wall, the rest is easier.
    I need to form better habits that will stand alone once I pull the plug.

Thanks for the push.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 9, 09. And a wakeup.

NOTE: A great habit to form is to buy your shows with productive activities like workout/posts you have being putting of that could help the tribe.

Celebrate the small victories. If you improve your strength by using a heavier weight enjoy the moment, by feeling good about noticing improvements in your strength instead of immediately tearing down your achievement by saying something like: "I am still not even close to Cabe and other tribe members here-Which quickly turn into-I will never get there. Pushing your strength away for yourself every time you manage a step forward-Setting yourself up for failure.

Keep your focus on your own goals-(Written Down in your Workout Manual) Not comparing your training to other people`s, getting hang up on the weight they are able to move, workouts like the Burpee Challenge and the drills you cannot do. Sliding back into the If Only Game.

Use this same focus to ignore people`s spiteful comments quick to point out which body part still needs work. Reminding you which muscles you find hard to train. Or their condescending looks when you express your goals/Share your training methods.

Instead push as hard as you can every single workout, stick to your plan not missing a day of training without a very good reason and again don`t simply go through the motions but make changes if you don`t notice improvements.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

It is a huge pleasure. I enjoy reading your posts and the fact that you always remind us to push hard and to strife to be our best, no excuses.

Sorry that the reply is in two parts. If I write for longer that 30 min. before sending my reply my computer freezes on the quick reply page.

cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

This will be the last piece of writing on the topic from me. Sharing an example of how I work around a training challenge to optimize my movement.

Once you stop playing the If Only Game it is simply a case of doing the exercises that you can, getting as strong and fit as possible and optimizing the movement that you do have. Structuring your style of fighting around that.

NEEDING TO OPTIMIZE MOVEMENT (LEFT):(a) I cannot chase after the attacker because the moment a trop my arms down to the wheels they use the opportunity to attack. Unlike with wheelchair basketball/rugby players who can take advantage of the constant motion and forward momentum of their chairs to make turns using only one arm, I start my turn from a dead stop.-Only able to start moving left-Once the attacker starts to circle left.

TRAINING CHALLENGE: It would have being easier if I could make strong left turns using my left arm only- I cannot safely use a Dumbbell with my left arm. So I train Curls and Triceps Extensions only using my right arm.

SOLUTION: Sword and Dagger allows me to keep one Blade on the attacker while I complete a left turn using two movements of my right arm completing a left turn-Using my right arm requires two movements because the turn radius is bigger. Using the power in my right arm to move around and the Blade in my left hand to cut the attacker of me.

This is my Combatives solution right now. But I am still working hard on ways to complete a left turn in one movement/with my left arm. Realizing that it will improve my ability to defend the left side of my body by a 100%

Quick Note to Greg.

I have limited experience shooting so I don`t know if this Work Around Principle-Doing the Opposite will work when using a gun. It not it may be used in Force on Force.

AN EXAMPLE: If You Need to Break a Hold/Grab-Instead of escaping the hold/grab by trying to break free only using wrist strength and then pushing the attacker away from you making follow up Strikes harder-Grab the attacker yourself and pull him closer. Moving the targets of the face and throat within your reach.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Drove home to WV Wednesday. Spent part of Thursday digging potatoes out of the garden soil. Latest they ever got the potatoes out. More rain this year than any in memory up there. Caught a 4 day stretch with no rain and got it done the last day before it started raining again.

Mattock, feet more than shoulder width apart on either side of the row/hill and you slowly work your way across the garden digging from the left/right deep enough (you hope) to not cut up potatoes with the mattock. Bent over at the waist, working your arms, shoulders, back, legs and hands as you dig, rake, pick up the potatoes, rub the set dirt off them and lay them beside the fresh dirt you've turned over/dug up. Then walking through again to turn the potatoes over to get the dirt/skin dry so you can pick them up, get the baskets to the cellar and dump them in the big wooden potato box so they'll keep through the winter.

I expected to be sore as hell Friday morning - and I wasn't!! Not a bit stiff and sore. I kept expecting, as I sat around in the house talking to mom and drinking coffee while it poured the rain outside (got them out of the ground just in time), for it to hit at some point but it never did.

Another example of the diet and the exercise being well worth it. I never asked my brother it he was stiff/sore from it. I should have, just never though about it. Probably wasn't as he lives there, works the garden all summer/fall, cuts all the firewood, etc., etc. But I should have asked, just for the heck of it.