Thread: H & K P7

Default H & K P7

Is anybody still carrying one of these “Cool” pistols anymore? Been a while since I carried mine. Just wondering.

I loved my P7 (actually P7M13), till I didn't love it anymore. The P7 was way ahead of its time. Back then the 1911 ruled the combat handgun world, with Hi-Caps steadily coming on the scene (hence the introduction of the M13 variant so quickly from HK). My problem with the P7 was it demanded you love it and nothing else. I was a MP back then, we carried a 1911s on duty.

Switching from a 1911 to a P7 was difficult. I couldn't make the P7 "work" without thinking about it when I had to do anything more than shoot it. I ran it in a match once and when putting it on safe (releasing the grip) to move to the next target, then couldn't figure why it wasn't firing at the next stage (because I didn't squeeze the grip hard enough). THAT was when I decided it had to go. If the minor stress of match was enough to "disarm" me, then I didn't want it.

Maybe if I was able to embrace the P7 ONLY; but until Im ready to sell all my other pistols I wont be shopping for another P7.

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I loved my P7 (actually P7M13), till I didn't love it anymore. The P7 was way ahead of its time. Back then the 1911 ruled the combat handgun world, with Hi-Caps steadily coming on the scene (hence the introduction of the M13 variant so quickly from HK). My problem with the P7 was it demanded you love it and nothing else. I was a MP back then, we carried a 1911s on duty.

Switching from a 1911 to a P7 was difficult. I couldn't make the P7 "work" without thinking about it when I had to do anything more than shoot it. I ran it in a match once and when putting it on safe (releasing the grip) to move to the next target, then couldn't figure why it wasn't firing at the next stage (because I didn't squeeze the grip hard enough). THAT was when I decided it had to go. If the minor stress of match was enough to "disarm" me, then I didn't want it.

Maybe if I was able to embrace the P7 ONLY; but until Im ready to sell all my other pistols I wont be shopping for another P7.
    Similar situation minus the match scenario. I had to spend too much time thinking about what I was doing. Since I carried something else for a duty weapon, it made sense to me to stop carrying my M8. I eventually sold the two I had. Neat guns though.

Never had any of those problems . Great gun , I regret selling it . It was only sold to fund other projects . I check out prices every now and again - but I'm picky , mine had a pinned front sight and a screw on the rear . If I get another one , it will have those . Don't see them very often .

I went through two, a first gen and a M8, both hard chromed. After college in the '80s I did the Mr. Mom gig for three years, kept a P-7 handy. I liked it in that role because it was extremely difficult (never say "impossible") for the rugrats to operate. I ditched the whole concept once I started taking classes and putting out a high round count. Went back to 1911s then Glocks.

I ended up getting a police import refurb for my son during his first deployment. He had good memories of my old ones 'cause I'd let him shoot them when he was little. He kept bitching about the ones that got away, so I set him up. I don't think he's shot it more than a few times, but it's a nice piece to have around.

Why not carry one now? Both of the ones I had were extremely accurate and reliable. I never had much problem with the squeeze-cock thing, though I never did any real force on force or classes with it, so that is an unknown. I liked the first gen because it felt more compact, but the M8 had the plastic trigger and trigger guard, so it was easier to shoot a lot of ammo. The gas system that made it work so well was also it's Achilles heel; they'd get hotter'n hell after fifty rounds. I'd suck it up, but it was painful after a couple of boxes. I know a guy who knows a guy who has a couple that he takes to the range, switches out whenever they overheat. That, and parts availability and magazines and HK's "excellent customer service" <insert ironic tone> keep me from being too nostalgic.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-30-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I've got two. I like the squeeze-cock concept, but it aggravates some carpal tunnel issues. Not to mention that a PSP gets hot as hell after about 15 rounds.

Had P7 with butt mag release. It was reliable.
    Had 4 P7M8s under light use ( 2000 rounds each) 2 broke, 1 magazine release lever and 1 squeeze cock mechanism.
    It was a neat toy but fragile, heavy, low capacity, noisy sqeeze cock mechanism.

I have USPs, P30 LEM 9mm, P2000SK LEM. To me all are better than the P7 for serious shooting.

Interesting observations. I have had all variants except the P7-M3 in .380. Only one left is a PSP with several magazines. I have carried both P7-M8 and P7-M13. I cut down the magaine releases on both pistols before hard chroming them. Obvious reason for doing so. I have handeled and fired the Vector CP-1. I really like the lighter weight, but the pistol all but disappeared. I too have moved on from the older cool wonderguns of the 80's and 90's. I have a row in a safe of 1911's, Beretta's, Sig's, Browning HP's. They still make me smile when I handle them.