Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default IS YOUR GLOCK TRIGGER SAFE? BETTER TO CHECK IT

I don't know. It seems like a lot has to go wrong here. What do ya'll think?

Interesting. So here are a couple of articles linked on my website and store -

IS YOUR TRIGGER SAFE?

TRIGGER INSTALLATION AND SAFETY CHECKS

At the end of the day, unless you know intimately how to check all the contact points listed (because you are a gunsmith), and are capable of maintaining those contacts regularly, then you probably shouldn't install a trigger.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Ammohoe View Post

I don't know. It seems like a lot has to go wrong here. What do ya'll think?
    This video by itself is misleading...This was NOT a factory stock Glock pistol. The OP should have included the comments from the actual YouTube link to show that this was NOT a factory stock Glock.

Gun got dropped in my holster the other day, and actually fired. (Holster is quality kydex and not the issue) The impact struck the left rear of the slide near the sight. Luckily myself and no others were injured (live ammo was in the gun)

This video re-creates exactly what happened. If you have an Agency Arms Glock please check this. Yes it may scuff the finish ever so slightly. But would rather have peace of mind or a hole somewhere in your body.

Currently agency arms has sent me a shipping label to send the gun back to them and fix it ASAP.

Test was repeated with a completely stock 19, and nothing would make it discharge.
    - Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it comes to dominate our lives and interests."
    - Patrick Henry

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson

The video shows an Agency Trigger. I don't say anything about other people's stuff because, well, you know...."that mean old murderous, baby-eating, pirate is badmouthing his competition". But we have Agency, Overwatch, Apex, Salient and you name it triggers we got for study and T&E. Primarily because if they were making something better, I would copy it shamelessly.

What we saw are such unsafe triggers that it astounds...or triggers where the factory trigger is actually better.

The biggest problem that I see and that every single Glock owner ignores completely as they click through all the liability clicks is that just like the brakes on your car, shit needs to be checked and replaced when it is worn out.

I recall a staff instructor in Texas having his Glock 19 go full auto (Texas staffers are a small group so...), long before anyone made aftermarket Glock triggers. It was during an AK class so that will give you an idea how long ago. Culprit? Worn out MIM firing pin contact on the cruciform trigger bar!

You know...if I wanted to really f*ck over the trigger industry I would institute a "Trigger Tune Up Service" where you can send in your worn (instead of miles we would say, every 12,000 rounds) trigger and trigger bar and get a brand new one for half price...or something to that degree.

Hmmmmm. Trigger Tune-Up Service

Now that bears some consideration.
    Gabriel Suarez

Trigger TuneUp Tradein?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 2, 13. And a wakeup.

Seriously....
    Gabriel Suarez

Would the suggested round count include Dry Fire or just live rounds? I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the trigger parts wear down the same, whether live rounds or dry pulls.

Not that most on this forum need this, here is another video, using stock pistols. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6N15rzP-AA
    Sorry, but I don't know how to make the video show up here.

Gabe has a tremendous amount of experience, as well as expertise, in how these guns function. He runs the crap out of stuff, as well as practical testing and abusing. I remember him talking about throwing an aimpoint to see how well it would hold up. I trust his opinion on this kind of stuff, because it is based on facts.

BTW, has anyone reported having this issue with any of SI triggers? I don't remember hearing of any.

As he has said, if you change things, ymmv.
    And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Steven Spaugh

Steven

The video was one I looked at but its long and seems to have been designed as an Anti-Sig 320 video. Our triggers work fine but if there are other worn parts, you can face the same issues. The two points are the trigger bar and the striker.

All trigger bars sold on all triggers are made by Glock and are stamped not milled. We looked at milling them but that would place a trigger beyond what 90% of people would pay for one. The tolerances on these are all over the place and we even reject some as unfit for our use. People think Glock is a precision tolerance weapon when every day it becoming more and more a WASR10 like item in better clothing. In the factory, assemblers will assemble and test and replace a part to pass the test. Not all trigger bars are the same tolerance...they are stamped.

The other issue is the leg on the MIM firing pin. The more contact, the safer...but also the longer break through the wall. We see people shaving this down to minimal contact where the gun will fire when the slide is racked. We also see the leg of the pin wearing along with the stamped trigger bar. The factory pin is a metal injection molded part which is in essence a cast part. People will tell you how good MIM is. The only thing MIM is good for is saving a manufacturer money. If the leg of the pin wears so contact with the striker is minimal, you will have a gun that will fire when its dropped no matter what trigger is on there. The firing pin is a glaring weakness in many striker fired weapons.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by John_Frederick View Post
    Would the suggested round count include Dry Fire or just live rounds? I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the trigger parts wear down the same, whether live rounds or dry pulls.
    Not a bad idea. I suppose the easy button would be to get the armorer plate and visually check. If it is even beginning to look minimal, chgange the pin and the trigger. In fact...I might include a firing pin in the exchange kit as our pins will forever eliminate the weakness of a MIM pin.
    Gabriel Suarez