Default DC northern Virginia intel

Hey guys, going up to the northern Virginia area around dc in a bit to visit family. Wondering if there's anything specific I need to be aware of? Laws should be the same as in my part of the state unless i cross into the dmz (DC). I know I'll probably be going into dc to check out some museums and the monuments and do the tourist thing with family for a bit so no boom stick. How tight is security? i know i can't carry a gun but i usually carry a folding knife and a leatherman, leave em home for a non descript steel bodied pen? or carry an el cheapo knife and be prepared to give it up? Also usually carry a tourniquet and a light will i get any hassle for that stuff? Been a year or so since i went up so figured id consult the tribe. Any recommendations on things to see?
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams

Most, if not all the DC attractions like the Smithsonian museums have metal detectors. Was there several years ago and had no issues carrying under LEOSA as a retired cop.
    Professional Practitioner of Coercive Violence (Ret.)
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

When I was there 4 years ago the only Smithsonian museum with metal detectors was the air and space museum. The Capital and National Archive also have them.

Update. Was a fun trip and you really do need multiple days to see everything particularly if you're not going in the summer. Most museums close at 5 and open at 10 or so. Went to the Udvar-Hazy center near the airport and was pleasantly surprised by no metal detectors and cursory bag searches. Little bit pissed i left everything good back in the car. In another note a great way to piss of your liberal family members is to take them to the nra museum. Not a bad little must see.
    "It's not that life is too short, it's that death is so damn long." unknown
    "People s
    hould not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people" V
    "
    I must study politics and war, that my sons may have the liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, natural history and naval architecture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, tapestry, and porcelain." John Adams