Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Another good thing about the 308 is you'll likely never burn out the barrel. It's pretty common to get close to 10,000 accurate rounds in a 308 barrel, Creed, your looking 2000 or less most likely. In a 308 look hard at the 155 Lapua for general use and the 185/190 Berger for long range. If your reloading try Varget first. The 7-08 is a great round but the Creed beats it ballistically and there is zero match ammo. The Creed has good, affordable match ammo as does the 308.
    Your round count in a competition setting will be closer to 5000 rounds. 10-12 rounds in 90 seconds is extremely hard on barrels. While 5,000 is still better than 2,000, it isn't 5x better. The only reason you hear of the 6.5 creedmoor having a 2000 round barrel life is that it is shot primarily for competition. If you shot it like the military shoots 308 out of their sniper rifles (ie not 10-12 round strings in 90 seconds) the barrels would last much longer. Also, I would not shoot the 155 grain lapua. You have horrible ballistic coefficient. I would shoot 168 grains. Anything much heavier and you don't have enough powder to take advantage of the higher BC.
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

    Scott a.k.a. temposhot

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    I see a lot of 6.5Creedmoor and even 6mm Creedmoor. There are some 224s and some 6BR guns.

    Im stuck on 308 because its what I use in "real life". Im not so much "competing" as I am using PRS as a route to Non-square range shooting/training. Im not worried about their score as much as I am about mine. I think of it like playing golf on the same course as Tiger Woods. He can be 10 below par and I can be 20+, as long as I do one shot better than the last match, then Im a winner, and besides we both have to beat the windmill....

    Im toying with a 7mm-08 (better ballistic coefficient, less recoil, less jump than 308). I have a couple 7mm08 sporters and plenty ammo/brass, plus I can make cases from 308 brass. Im also doing it because somebody I know (thanks Doc) talked me into the cartridge when I wanted a lower recoiling rifle for a new hunter.

    Regarding the carbon fiber barrel, I see the pros as lighter and stiffer with the con being that it heats faster (10 shots in 90 seconds seems to be the standard course for the PRS matches Ive been shooting).

    Once I embraced the game as a training option, I made my decisions for a competition gun that was real world practical. If I was starting my armory from scratch, I might have gone the 6.5 Creedmoor route.
    You can make 260 Rem brass from the 308 or 7mm-08 and it will have even lower recoil and better BC, but if you are just shooting against yourself then stick with the 308. The skills that I have gained from shooting PRS style matches would have taken me years of shooting long range how I used to before I competed and I don't think that I would have learned those skills any worse if I was shooting a 308. Heck, I maybe even would have learned them better because I would have to be better at calling wind (the lower BC 308 bullet isn't as forgiving) and would have more recoil to manage. I'm not sure that there are skills that you can practice for recoil management for a higher recoiling gun though. It don't change my recoil management techniques when I go shoot my 308, I just know that it is going to be harder to spot shots and shoot from the non optimal positions that the match directors love to put you in.
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

    Scott a.k.a. temposhot

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike View Post
    Not putting a damper on your project Edelweiss,but I had a Remington 700 action ,with a Kreiger barrel and Mcmillan stock in 308.I got rid of it and bought a Ruger Precision Gen 1 in 6.5CM and never looked back.No more Gunsmiths and the rifle is accurate out to 1,000 yards with 140 gr match ammo.Quite inexspensive compared to a build gun.Just my thoughts ,good luck.
    This is a route that a lot of people are going. I think that a Remington 700 will always be a better action. I will admit that I HATE Rugers and maybe that is why I don't really care for the 6.5 creedmoor, but I thought maybe it changed and went out and bought a Ruger and I'll say that I think they still suck. I'd much rather build off a 700 than buy a Ruger. If I decided to go with a lesser expensive option, I'd go Savage. In fact that is what did and I can switch barrels and shoot different calibers, but that is another topic for another thread.
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

    Scott a.k.a. temposhot

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Made it to Free America
    Posts
    13,287
    This project is as much a PROJECT as it is a serious build. I know there are maybe better already built guns straight from the factory; but I got a "cant pass this up" deal on the donner gun and thought it would be fun to do the build. Its fine to buy a rifle and take it to competitions; but the planning and the build are as much fun for me as the shooting.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    This project is as much a PROJECT as it is a serious build. I know there are maybe better already built guns straight from the factory; but I got a "cant pass this up" deal on the donner gun and thought it would be fun to do the build. Its fine to buy a rifle and take it to competitions; but the planning and the build are as much fun for me as the shooting.
    There is also learning that occurs with putting together a build that may not happen if you just go and buy an off the shelf rifle
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

    Scott a.k.a. temposhot

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    166
    I've been shooting local PRS style matches for awhile with a 308, using Berger 168 Hybrids. It does not shoot as flat or buck the wind as well as the others, but its capable. I've hit steel on several occasions just shy of 1100 yards. Most of the folks I shoot with are using 6-6.5 mm of some type. The good things about 308 are ease of reloading, long barrel life, and you'll get better at reading and adjusting for wind. Which is value added later if you switch to a more effective caliber.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
    This is a route that a lot of people are going. I think that a Remington 700 will always be a better action. I will admit that I HATE Rugers and maybe that is why I don't really care for the 6.5 creedmoor, but I thought maybe it changed and went out and bought a Ruger and I'll say that I think they still suck. I'd much rather build off a 700 than buy a Ruger. If I decided to go with a lesser expensive option, I'd go Savage. In fact that is what did and I can switch barrels and shoot different calibers, but that is another topic for another thread.
    I recently bought a Ruger rifle in 6.5 Grendel simply because it use my same AR mags. The thing is as rough as a cob in every way...not a nice thing about it. But, I must say, it does shoot. Great rifle for kicking around in a pickup and getting no respect or care. I quite like Savages and Howas out of the box as an inexpensive option. But, as you say, that's another thread.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Made it to Free America
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    ...Which is value added later if you switch to a more effective caliber.
    and its really value added when you switch to targets who are shooting at you, which is what I use PRS for... Square ranges are fine for zero, PRS turns a square range into barricades and multiple targets. If you don't "game it" it has some potential. A big part for me is taking on the barricades as if they are just debris in a combat zone. In the real world you don't get practice time to decide if you should sit or kneel, you don't have a "belly bag" dangling from your belt or a bag strapped around your rifle. I run a rifle M1a(currently a 1980s M21 clone-ish) with a M2 bipod and a SS 10x scope. I carry a day pack for additional rest and a sock filled with rice for rear support.

    I go into the game with a lot of competition deficits; but training potentials. I get beat every match; but I bet I learn more than the winners. Ive up-graded to a much better M25 design (Springfield "White Feather") with a better barrel, better trigger, Harris bi-pod mounted on a McMillan stock, better scope mount, better scope, and better muzzle break. The 700 project wont be a game gun either; but it will be shooter.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,083
    Edel, I think using PRS to sharpen your skills using a rifle that’s a weapon rather than a glorified toy has real merit...not to mention being a lot of fun.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Made it to Free America
    Posts
    13,287
    Thanks Doc. I generally do NOT like shooting games, certainly not ones that sell themselves as "practical" and especially not ones that are so far removed from anything reasonable. I know a couple Bench Rest shooters that can do amazing things with a 40lb rifle and another that's a "Card Shooter" (competition turkey shoots with 36 inch shotgun barrels). They are great guys and great shooters but couldn't walk a jungle trial if their lives depended on it.

    Ive seen some amazing shooters at PRS matches, some civilian and some active PD and military; but one of the best was a 9 year old, using a pretty much stock AR that beat half the competitors civilian and professional. His biggest advantage was the speed he was able to assume positions. He gets shots off, while Im still trying to get prone. He comes by his skills the right way--his Dad is prior service with SOG

    A lot of PRS is a bit silly (to us), guys insist on shooting in downpours that would stop military training. They claim its because they are "tough"; but in reality its more cowboy than serious and they get to show off their newest Frog Toggs. Im only complaining because it could be better. It could be something every adult should be required to pass before being able to vote; but then Santa could bring me a hot female swimsuit model... Until any of that happens I just make the best of whats available
    Last edited by EDELWEISS; 09-24-2018 at 04:23 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •