Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Did you shoot it yet? It may not need a new barrel.
    Naaaaah it is a sporter in a cartridge I don't want. Its a stainless 260 Rem which might have been interesting but I want a varmint barrel. Its also a Remington Detachable mag "lower", which also might have been interesting but again I want a HBAR for PRS matches. I did toy with using it a lightweight sniper; but 260 Rem is outside my standard stocked list of cartridges. I got it so cheap that its worth the project.

If youre interested in the barrel or bottom metal lemme know

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    Guys I have a smith. My question was about How to spend money wisely; what I need and what I don't. What brands are worth the cost and which ones can be substituted by lesser known names with the same quality. This is a GAME gun, yes I want it to be accurate, just not sure I need "boutique".
    You can get the barrel and reamed stock for around 800.00 out of them. Their Smith prices are the same or cheaper then everyone else. Not trying to sway your opinion, but throwing it out there. Options bro, after they did me a solid on my lapua I really wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Thanks Bro Ill check it out

I shot about 12-15 PRS style matches last year and these are my thoughts.
    An adjustable cheek piece is a must, but that does not mean I would rule out the Greyboe. I really like what they offer and there are a few companies that will cut a cheek piece out.

I wouldn't go with a 308 if you want to be as competitive as you can be in PRS, but it sounds like your mind is made up on the 308 so I won't say anything more about it. I would go with a longer barrel. The PRS stages aren't meant to hinder people with longer barrels. I would say a good number of people shoot 28" barrels (most shoot 26") and a lot of people run a suppressor on the end of it. A longer barrel will give you more distance (from more velocity). There are our counterparts across the pond that like shorter barrels because they claim that they are more accurate, but I think especially in the 308 the more you can squeeze for velocity will help you on your longer range stages.

I would not go with a carbon fiber barrel. I know guys that work for Proof or are sponsored by Proof and they shoot steel barrels. More weight actually helps you in this game. Most of the PRS shooters are changing barrels so often that the extra cost for a carbon fiber isn't worth it so they shoot steel barrels. Bartlein is my favorite followed by Benchmark. Proof is a great Montana company though, so I won't discourage you from buying from them, I just am not sold on their carbon fiber barrels

Bipod - The Ckye Pod is made for positional shooting and is the best offering in this department for the game played. It is simply the best for this scenario. It has more adjustability and versatility than any other Bipod

Shooting Bag - You didn't mention this, but this is as equally important as the Bipod in building positions in the PRS game. If I could only have one it would be the Warhorse Development Saracen Bag. Don't buy the knock off from Bison tactical, buy the original. Its the best and I was there when it was invented. Two shooters talking about it on the stage. I would also have one of their old canisters for a rear bag

Trigger - it's hard to beat the Timney calvin elite

Optic - Spend the most money you can. I shoot the Sig Tango 6 5-30x56 Mil/Mil and love it. When I upgraded optics it was a game changer and I wondered why I hadn't earlier. I'd also look at the Nightforce 7-35 ATACR

Other than that, it sounds like you have the basics covered. There are some other tips and tricks I can let you know if you want. Be ready to reload. Find someone with a Magnetospeed or Labradar because knowing your exact velocity makes your dope so much better. You can get a Kestrel and that is the easy button, but I prefer making dope cards using Density Altitude and temperature and making a bunch of cards for what I think that I am going to encounter for the day and then using what I need. I'd also get a short action precision 2 round holder and a sidewinder industries dope card holder
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

Scott a.k.a. temposhot

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post
    I wouldn't go with a 308 if you want to be as competitive as you can be in PRS, but it sounds like your mind is made up on the 308 so I won't say anything more about it.
    Some of the rest of us aren’t stuck on .308. What calibers do you like?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I see a lot of 6.5Creedmoor and even 6mm Creedmoor. There are some 224s and some 6BR guns.

Im stuck on 308 because its what I use in "real life". Im not so much "competing" as I am using PRS as a route to Non-square range shooting/training. Im not worried about their score as much as I am about mine. I think of it like playing golf on the same course as Tiger Woods. He can be 10 below par and I can be 20+, as long as I do one shot better than the last match, then Im a winner, and besides we both have to beat the windmill....

Im toying with a 7mm-08 (better ballistic coefficient, less recoil, less jump than 308). I have a couple 7mm08 sporters and plenty ammo/brass, plus I can make cases from 308 brass. Im also doing it because somebody I know (thanks Doc) talked me into the cartridge when I wanted a lower recoiling rifle for a new hunter.

Regarding the carbon fiber barrel, I see the pros as lighter and stiffer with the con being that it heats faster (10 shots in 90 seconds seems to be the standard course for the PRS matches Ive been shooting).

Once I embraced the game as a training option, I made my decisions for a competition gun that was real world practical. If I was starting my armory from scratch, I might have gone the 6.5 Creedmoor route.

Another good thing about the 308 is you'll likely never burn out the barrel. It's pretty common to get close to 10,000 accurate rounds in a 308 barrel, Creed, your looking 2000 or less most likely. In a 308 look hard at the 155 Lapua for general use and the 185/190 Berger for long range. If your reloading try Varget first. The 7-08 is a great round but the Creed beats it ballistically and there is zero match ammo. The Creed has good, affordable match ammo as does the 308.

I really like 7mm bullets. I think 7mm-08 is Goldilocks round in many ways.
    That said, I have two fairly serious LR rifles both of which are in 6.5 Creedmoor simply because match quality ammo is so ridiculously available and I’m not interested in taking the time in this chapter of my life to dust off my reloading bench.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Not putting a damper on your project Edelweiss,but I had a Remington 700 action ,with a Kreiger barrel and Mcmillan stock in 308.I got rid of it and bought a Ruger Precision Gen 1 in 6.5CM and never looked back.No more Gunsmiths and the rifle is accurate out to 1,000 yards with 140 gr match ammo.Quite inexspensive compared to a build gun.Just my thoughts ,good luck.

I think if you are going to play the PRS game, the 6mm dasher, 6xc, or I'm shooting the 6slr. The lower recoil (think none out of a 22lb rifle) make it easier for follow up shots and spotting your shots. The PRS tries to take a very manageable stage and make it unmanageable by putting a very short time on it. Every little bit counts. Also, I live in a fairly windy state when shooting is concerned. The 6slr is easier because I can hold edge of plate where as a 6.5 caliber cartridge you have to hold off the plate (generally speaking) and if I miss the wind call I may miss the target. If I am holding edge of plate and there is no wind or opposing cancelling wind, I still hit the plate. If I am going to shoot 6.5 caliber, it is a 260 rem. I reload and have competed with it and it works very well. There are some advantages to a 6.5 with very high wind (20-30 mph) at long distance that can be argued (800+ yards)
    "Note to self. If ever accosted by thugs, pull the testicles OFF, and don't just jerk them really, really hard lest the guys on Warriortalk rebuke you for being soft on criminals."

Scott a.k.a. temposhot