Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It's well established that mental training is fundamental to top performance in a wide range of disciplines. Perhaps the greater question is why the shooting community (outside the top tier of the precision disciplines) has not worked with it earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    It's well established that mental training is fundamental to top performance in a wide range of disciplines. Perhaps the greater question is why the shooting community (outside the top tier of the precision disciplines) has not worked with it earlier.
    Truth?

Because most are lazy and ignorant, and so focused on saving money with cheap reloads for their CCW insurance that they could not be bothered.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Truth?

Because most are lazy and ignorant, and so focused on saving money with cheap reloads for their CCW insurance that they could not be bothered.
    The exact same reason that the majority of the "regular" shooting community is fat as fat can be. Discipline in anything other than working on split times is nonexistent, and the mentality that if they can shoot they don't need to be able to fight.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

It's threads like this that keep me here.
    I'll likely never be fat, but lazy--well, not as long as I have this burr under my saddle.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 2, 12. And a wakeup.

Once the body has learned a skill, "mental practice" is a valid technique. There have been several documented instances where an athlete of one type or another was injured and hospitalized, and returned to the field better than before... using only mental practice/meditation. Obviously the only practice they could get while laid up in a hospital.

Here is a study on Olympic athletes and mental practice.
    http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...1991.72.3.1007

If we were to look at this from a martial arts perspective, it would likely tie into Mushin somewhere.

ETA: Another article.
    http://www.dana.org/News/Details.aspx?id=43530

Yes. I know we arent playing sports. But there is applicable knowledge here.
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 09-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

I'm jumping in to this a bit late, real world demands have kept me off line, so some of this may have been covered in other replies.

Kata is typically thought of as a physical form, a pattern of movement. The concept of kata is a robust training tool that passes on lessons learned in blood to future generations. The form is like a proper malfunction response, non diagnostic. With this in mind, things like the flowchart can and should be considered a mental kata in the classical, practical sense. It passes on lessons that have been learned in the real world and gives one the ability to practice the skills needed to survive. In short, practiced properly, the mental process will allow someone the ability to train proper psychological and emotional responses to a critical incident. The same way that properly trained kata will instill the correct physical response. The process is not situation specific, except that we are dealing with a legally justified shoot, either pro or re-active.

Jim Miller
    ISA 6:8