Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A question for seasoned reloaders - primers

Just wanted to ask the more experienced reloaders in our midst their learned opinions about primers.

I was recently cleaning out an unheated outbuilding (i.e. barn) and among all the camping gear and other seldom used gear stored in there I came across a cardboard box of containing a number of cases of primers. I'm guessing these have been out there for at least 10 if not more years. They've been "dry", but still exposed to temperature swings and general humidity. Are these worth using for loading up practice ammo, or will I be kicking myself if I use them?
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Should be fine.

Load a small batch and test. If they are duds, pull the bullets, dump the power and you only lose time....

Our prime a few empty casings and test that way

Good luck

You should have no ill effects from their storage. My primers sit on a shelf in my Non- conditioned air shop in Atlanta where the outside temps are regularly in the 90's and the Humidity is eleventy-hundred percent pretty much all the time. No Worries. Load. shoot. repeat.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    HITS - 3, 8/12/16
    CRG - 3, 8/13 - 8/14/16
    RGF - 2, 7/15 - 7/16/17
    CRG - 5, 7/7 - 7/8/18
    TN/GA/AL Training Group

"40 shots rang out....40 people fell. Patti and the Killer missed each other, but they shot that town to Hell!"
    Cow Patti, Jim Stafford via Randy Harris

I agree with the others, they should be fine. I've used primers that have sat in a garage, with regular swings, for nearly 20 years, they were, are fine.

They should be fine. I have used some that sat in a very hot garage for at least 10 years and they all went bang.

About 6 or 7 years ago I ran across 4,000 primes that had been in my attic on a shelf since 1985 (when we bought the house and moved in). Used all of them, they all went bang.

Central VA. Attic can be 110F, or more and humid as hell in the summer. Below freezing with humid spells in the winter.

Oh, had several 1 lb. cans of powder on the same shelf. Same age. Used most of it, still have a couple/three partial cans left to burn up, sooner or later.

Thanks, gents!
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Yep same experiences as above.

However that same does not extended to smokeless powder and grease type lubricated . 22 Rim Fire loaded ammo can go bad if the grease runs back into case. While I am not sure about the primers i do not not see what can go wrong and as long as they go bang all is good. There might be some difference accuracy, but that is just a guess. Smokeless powder can degrade to release corrosive fumes similar to the various nitrogen containing acids and can actually destroy brass cases. Nitroglycerin and nitrocellulose two of the common components of smokeless powders are made with nitric acid.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Alternatively you load them up for practice rounds hoping there ARE a few duds mixed in for training simulation. But everyone else suggested they'll be fine and that's pretty much correct. I've always worried myself with primer storage and kept them climate controlled but I've traded for some that likely weren't and they were fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk