Default The Death of Proactive Policing

Suarez Comments - Nothing happens quickly. I predicted this during my last years on the job. Unless handling a call, we used to go hunting every night. We would drive to the bad areas and watch for bad guys. We all knew what the bad guys looked like, acted like, etc. And no...it wasn't race based. When we saw one we watched and then began an investigation on what was what. There was an art to building an articulable reason for the stop, and failing that we would do a consentual contact deal. If they ran from us, or drew guns, or did anything other than what normal people would do, we took steps. And we not only prevented crimes (serious ones like rapes, home invasions, armed robberies, kidnappings) and saved lives, but OMG did we arrest bad guys doing bad things...even shot a few now and again. Bt post Rodney King Race Riots, I predicted a day when we would all be sitting at the station, lifting, reading, eating, or whatever, until called...then we would go out in force, handle the case, and leave....just like the fire guys.

This is a compelling article, and describes things we have seen in the modern police world.

The Death of Proactive Policing Will Lead Americans to More Gravesites

Undeveloped or Eroding Skills
    The most enjoyable assignment I had was as a detective in the Special Investigations Unit (SIU). Working in an undercover capacity, wed receive tips regarding criminal activity from confidential informants.

Once we corroborated information from the intelligence, wed follow the people that were up to no good.

Not once did we interrupt the lunch break of a law-abiding citizen. Actually, the schedules for most career criminals impacted our sleep patterns as they became active when the sun went down each day.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I remember us cruising through parking lots, one of getting out and into the brush on the far end while the other continued to drive through the parking lot and exit it to continue a "patrol" in an area near the parking lot. Ready to turn around an haul ass back to the parking lot if the other one came across anything that required a back up. If everything was cool the other guy would call in 30 or 45 minutes and we'd pick him up. We targeted parking lots with recent reports of break-ins/thefts.

Same for foot patrols. We'd stop, get out, walk around, look at things, walk back to the car, one of us would drive away and the other would fade into the shadows of a building/parked cars and spend some time walking/looking in the area before getting picked up farther down the street or a few streets over.

And, I remember where I lived/worked, in those days, if I saw white guys and black guys together on the street then I immediately believed they were up to no good. At that location/area, in those days if blacks and whites were together on the same streets and not fighting, they were looking for trouble (mugging, breaking and entering, etc.) You can call it anything you want, in those days it was a good bet that if you didn't stop it there would be a report of a crime on the Chiefs desk the next day.

The author touches only briefly on this--but as Randy Newman sings:

"It's Money That Matters."

Policing on the cheap means one-man cars policing dozens or even hundreds of square miles, no dash cams, no body cams, insufficient and inadequate training, and a pathological fear of lawsuits that leads to payoffs instead of trials.

"What's Important Now?" = W$N.
    Last edited by Papa; 09-10-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 11, 17. And a wakeup.

I was a very proactive law enforcement officer. If I wasn't handling a call or taking my code, I was pounding the streets. However, that brought down heat from the OIC, the brass, fellow LEO's, etc. I was told I made the less active (i.e. lazy) officers look bad. Citizens complained because I was up in their shit (even though they were up to some shit.) And the brass was mad because they didn't like hearing it from the my coworkers, sergeants, and the citizens. Nevermind that I was making good arrests and stopping some seriously jacked up behavior. Law Enforcement was the only occupation I ever worked in where I was punished for doing my job well. And people asked me why I got out of it...
    How much can you know about yourself, if you've never been in a fight?

- Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    The author touches only briefly on this--but as Randy Newman sings:

"It's Money That Matters."

Policing on the cheap means one-man cars policing dozens or even hundreds of square miles, no dash cams, no body cams, insufficient and inadequate training, and a pathological fear of lawsuits that leads to payoffs instead of trials.

"What's Important Now?" = W$N.
    I read somewhere that California surpassed half its yearly budget on government employees from current to retirement. I can see why they are planning on cuts and money savings. Pretty soon like Gabe brought up, security and law enforcement will be privatized. I truly believe it. Imagine what a big department is paying out for wrongful death suits every year. As long as the law allows and people want free money, it will never get better, only worse.....

I even heard something about community based prison systems that civilians monitor convicts. That shit sounds crazy to me. But who am I to judge....

I couldn't care less.

I don't need the police to be proactive. If I need them for anything, it's to show up and take down a report. I paid a lot of money for a house in a decent neighborhood, and I'm alright with paying a lot of taxes to keep the riffraff out.

Woe to those who rely on the police for their safety.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post

Woe to those who rely on the police for their safety.
    This is the stance more people need to adopt. The lack of self reliance for something as universal as not being murdered is astounding at times.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle