Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CLASSIC PISTOLS - BERETTA 92

CLASSIC PISTOLS - BERETTA 92

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

The Beretta 92 burst onto the scene in the mid 1980s. It was the gun the 1911 crowd loved to hate. Cats and dogs were predicted to move in together when this was adopted by the US Military as the M9. The "crunchenticker", is what it was called by the Colt 45 devotees, and anyone that brought it to class was met with derision and ridicule by the staff at the prominent gun schools of the day.

But nearly 30 years later it is still around. I prefer Glocks, and SIGs if working DA pistols, but a professional man-at-arms can do well with anything that is put in his hands. I never seriously carried the Beretta, but I bought one from the now defunct B&B sales in North Hollywood in direct preparation for a contract in Italy with Benelli. Along with learning Italian it seemed like the professional thing to do. I had carried a S&W 5906 for years so I was not unfamiliar with the system. I trained up with it and carried one just like it in 9x21 on "the Italian Job". Having compared notes with LEO and Military guys from the US and overseas I have some observations on this weapon.

1). It is extremely accurate. The Italians know how to make weapons...perhaps better at it now than Americans. In fact, there is evidence that would confirm that the word "pistol" comes from the Italian town of Pistoia, where the original Berettas were said to have been handmade. True or not, you cannot deny the Italians know how to make quality. The Carbinieri are NOT carrying Colts, Glocks, nor Smith & Wessons.

2). The slide design virtually eliminates many of the more common malfunctions. I have never seen a Beretta malfunction.

3). The trigger is a double action/single action deal, but it can be easily managed. See discussions on the topic we have published in the past.

Here are some pointers for the system -

a). Carry the weapon "SAFETY OFF". Guys that tell you to carry it "safety on" are misguided and don't know what they don't know.

b). In the holster, the weapon should be set to half cock. This moves the hammer back about 1/4 of an inch and decreases the pull weight by a few pounds. Try it before you disagree. You still have a 6-8# trigger pull this way and it is quite safe. Subsequent shots will all typical single action.

c). Thumb cock the pistol for difficult, or for longer shots, it is perfectly acceptable and encouraged by me to pull the hammer all the way back to single action.

d). The weapon is handled and manipulated the same as any other pistol. There is a step I add with the slide mounted decocking lever-equipped weapons. Every single time you manipulate the slide, thrust the firing hand thumb forward in the movement that disengages the safety. Do this automatically whether that decocker has been activated or not. We call it "shoot the marble".

That's it...FWIW, I like the Beretta.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Spot on. If there were a practical RDS solution it would be darned near perfect for HD or duty hammer gun.

VZ palm swell grips vastly improve the handling qualities.

Molto bella!
    Last edited by Papa; 09-04-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 4, 10. And a wakeup.

Carried one professionally. Meh. Never saw one malfunction that I can remember. Did see a whole bunch, including mine, break at a .mil high round count school. Locking lug sheared right off. OTOH these guns were shot 1500 rounds every class. Staff said the Italian mfg ones never broke, just the U.S. made ones mfg under DoD contract. They seemed accurate but not ergonomic. Downrange I envied the guys with Glocks as they did the same thing at only 2/3s the weight and size (G19). There were also mag issues. Asked a guy in a high end unit about weapons performance and when he got to talking about the Beretta, he pulled out a mag and shook it and it sounded like a baby rattle. Not Beretta's fault, another example of the lowest bidder on a .mil contract.

I wouldn't feel bad if that is what I was required to carry but...

IMHO Gabe makes great points about carrying and running one. Personally if I was in a very dirty environment, I'd probably keep the hammer all the way down to preclude the unlikely occurrence of crud getting between the hammer and firing pin assembly.
    Last edited by cco45acp; 09-04-2018 at 11:23 AM.

I'm guessing it's pretty well known I have a deep appreciation for the 92 FS.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

I'm kinda meh on the M-9. It's fine but there are others in the same vein that I prefer. They are plenty accurate and reliable, though I will say once the bluing expires the barrel will rust if you look at it funny. Then again, I wore my 1911 the other day and in 2 hrs the bushing, mag release, and grip screws had all started to rust from being against my sweaty skin.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Had a 92FC compact that just would not run right; even a trip to the mother ship didn't cure it. Went Glock after that. Don't miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I'm kinda meh on the M-9. It's fine but there are others in the same vein that I prefer. They are plenty accurate and reliable, though I will say once the bluing expires the barrel will rust if you look at it funny. Then again, I wore my 1911 the other day and in 2 hrs the bushing, mag release, and grip screws had all started to rust from being against my sweaty skin.
    My 1911A1 did that. A whole new definition of "red gun."
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 4, 10. And a wakeup.

The Beretta 92 is good kit. Many fond memories of the times spent with the Italian Carabirnieri.
    Last edited by Michael Biggs; 07-23-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

The Carabinieri are their own kind of special
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The 92 was my last issue LE gun. While not my first choice, ours worked well. My biggest issue was the sheer size of both the gun and the grip itself, as it related to trigger reach. Like the companion post above, I too have a Sig 226 with the aforementioned action work/SRT kit and E2 grip. (I also have Glocks, but not the point of this). Both the 92 and 226 are quality pistols, and I would not feel underarmed with either. Since I don't hang a light or laser off my pistols, I prefer the older models with the rail.
    And finally, while our issue 92s were not, I think I would like the "G" model, with the spring loaded decock levers, to just avoid the issue of the 92 levers defaulting to the down/safe position.