Default Lets talk RANGE FINDERS

Since starting PRS style shooting, Ive discovered a need for a range finder. I had been looking for a Bino/Rangefinder combo as a hunting tool; but Im thinking a simple rangefinder might be a less expensive option for matches.

I'll need something with at least 600 yard capability, out to 1000 would be better although beyond 800 isnt really necessary for matches.

Talk to me

I really don’t know much about them. A guy at Cabelas told me to get a Leupold. He was a Vortex rep. I figured that was a pretty good endorsement. Seems to work fine for the ranges you’re taking about.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

IMO, if you're going to get one, make sure it's good to at least 1,000. You'll find it's a lot more necessary farther out than up close.

The Leupold range finders looked good at one time, they have some neat features, but you can find them really cheap used for a reason. A couple buds have them and end up not being able to get a reading a lot of the time. I wouldn't get a Vortex either. I've always been happy with my Leica LRF1200 (get the scan model, no question), and have heard good things about the Sig Kilo 2000.

Another tool to do more or less the same job, although it takes more time, is mapping software on a smartphone. A lot of them can give you a straight line distance between two points; I find this pretty useful sometimes when I either don't have a rangefinder with me, or can't get a good reading because of conditions or distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post

Another tool to do more or less the same job, although it takes more time, is mapping software on a smartphone. A lot of them can give you a straight line distance between two points; I find this pretty useful sometimes when I either don't have a rangefinder with me, or can't get a good reading because of conditions or distance.

Interesting about using a phone for it, I've used my Garmin before to get a distance on a makeshift range we did at a friends ranch.
    What app/software are you using for the phone?

to OP, I haven't researched them in some time but have found Leica to be the way to go with Sig being a solid second choice.
    Combat Wombat: Eats Roots and Leaves.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    "Marines don't know how to spell the word defeet"

I have used Leupolds, Leica, Vortex and Sig. I love the Sig Kilo Line and Leica is also great option. Don't both with the vortex or leupys in my opinion. For the price Sig is hands down the winner. You want one that will reach distances farther than you plan on ranging by large margin to make it easier to scan smaller targets.

i bought the Leica 1600 a few years ago and its been very impressive. I've had it out to 1000 yards and the biggest limitation I've found to it is hand holding it steady enough at distant targets. if you can lock it down against something steady, it works much better. they have some newer versions out now with better range.
    ---------------
    Alan Warfield
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post
    Interesting about using a phone for it, I've used my Garmin before to get a distance on a makeshift range we did at a friends ranch.
    What app/software are you using for the phone?
    I usually use GPSKit on my iPhone, since it can use downloaded maps and I usually need it in areas with no cell reception. One of my riding buddys prefers GaiaGPS but I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    What is there to talk about? You buy one, they are all good, point it at an object, and push the little button to find the range.
    They are definitely not "all good"; there's plenty of junk out there in rangefinders, same as any other product.

As far using a phone goes, two apps I find pretty useful for distance estimating are GaiaGPS (which has a very robust set of features for downloading map layers from multiple sources and working with them) and Theodolite. The latter is essentially a camera app with robust features laid on top of it to measure angles, distances, elevations, altitude, GPS, and more. If you know the height of an object at a distance, you can measure it using the app, plug in the actual height, and it will spit out your distance from that object.
    Christian, Paramedic, Texan.

I have a Leica but the Signs Kilo is the way to go.

If you want the best, try to find a used AN/GVS5. That's hard. However the op doesn't mention his needs or parameters. Do you want plain RF or with integrated ballistics? Lot more than just "what's best" too. Beam divergence, quality of optics, magnification, laser frequency, laser class and ect.
    I will try to make it simple as possible. If you want compact LRF without ballistic help, Leica and Sig Kilo. That's it. The rest are ok for golf. Unless you just shoot to 600 yards, then have at it. If you want Ballistics, then Leica and Sig are still good choices, but G7 a little better. If you want the pimp daddy of LRF then the best is Vectronics. Those are great.