Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    And back to the point which is that live fire is insufficient. And training only for marksmanship...live or dry...is just as insufficient.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

First post, long time lurker.

To reinforce Gabe's thought process on this subject, can you imagine any professional basketball team that simply goes and "shoots" the ball at the hoop all day?

Not only do they learn drills for passing, running, and dribbling, but they are expected to master these drills until they become second nature.

Yes, shooting the target is ultimately what wins points. But how many games are won and lost by fractions of a second? The drills made the shot possible. They define the winner... and the loser.

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
    One flaw in your argument: I really enjoy dry fire training. Best class experience Iíve had was zero round count.

Of course that was an SI class...
    It likely speaks more to where we are at compared to most people but I also have found the most value in the classes where I haven't fired a single round. The various mental aspects of Fighting in Structures and Pistol Ground Fighting are much more valuable. Shooting really is the easy part. People still need quality instruction in live fire in almost all cases but if those people take the skills and ingrain them it frees up more mental bandwidth.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if my concept of fun was different then most. The idea of burning through 1000 rounds in a day or two is extraneous.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    It likely speaks more to where we are at compared to most people but I also have found the most value in the classes where I haven't fired a single round. The various mental aspects of Fighting in Structures and Pistol Ground Fighting are much more valuable. Shooting really is the easy part. People still need quality instruction in live fire in almost all cases but if those people take the skills and ingrain them it frees up more mental bandwidth.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if my concept of fun was different then most. The idea of burning through 1000 rounds in a day or two is extraneous.
    That is so very true. The sad thing is that both Fight Teachers and Pastors must appeal to what most people want and expect, and consciouly or subconsciously they water down the soup so it will be drank...and paid for by the masses.

I have been teaching professionally for some 18 years. Conservatively I, and by extension through my staff, have reached over 20,000 students. I've said before that live fire would be the least in importance if I had my way in training, preeminence would be with technical skills, fitness, and force on force work. Only then would shooting be of any value. But that if I organized my work that way, I would have needed to take a part time job just to make ends meet.

Today, financially I don't have to worry if the "masses of the gun world" turn their back on my training and trully I could just turn the lights off and go live on a beach at any moment I choose. What freedom that is!!!

And that leads us to be able to teach what we really believe in our souls without concern that Billy Bullethose won't come to class because the round count is....zero. Witnes the After The Last Bang series. All the secrets are revealed...read the comments. What power that gives the student! The material we will work on henceforth, and teach, will be of that nature...it will give the student the physical skills to match their mental dexterity. They will know what my staff and I know...and how we have internalized it all. They will not be "shooters", but rather very dangerous warriors...mentally, spiritually, and physically.

And THOSE THINGS you don't develop on the range.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters