Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can not go back in time. Look to the past for its lessons and one can try to use these lessons to deal with present and future since what has happened is done with.
    Heraclitus, change, and flow
    Heraclitus of Ephesus (Ἡράκλειτος, Herakleitos; c. 535 BC475 BC) was a Greek philosopher, known for his doctrine of change being central to the universe, and for establishing the term Logos (λόγος) in Western philosophy as meaning both the source and fundamental order of the Cosmos.

Heraclitus’ vision of life is clear in his epigram on the river of flux:

‘We both step and do not step in the same rivers. We are and are not’ (B49a).

One interpretation of this passage is that Heraclitus is saying we can’t step into the same river twice. This is because the river is constantly changing. If I stroll down the banks of the Danube, the water before my eyes is not the same water from moment to moment. If the river is this water (which is a debatable point – the river could be its banks, the scar it carves in the landscape, but let’s leave this aside), it follows that the Danube is not the same river from moment to moment. We step into the Danube; we step out of it again. When we step into it a second time, we step into different water and thus a different river.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Gabe's comments were really more specific to his family. My comments are more observations of society at large...

1. Most kids don't play outside because in the last 40 years the media has made the helicopter parents afraid to let their kids out of the house. Combine that with the phenomena of nosy neighbors calling the cops on any gaggle of 3 kids or more and you rarely see the "Sandlot" kids running the streets in the summer.

2. I'm not sure why they changed the way math is taught and I'm not sure why kids just seem dumber....they can find Pokeman but can't find Indonesia ...or Iowa on a map. But on the other hand the internet has made availability of info more abundant. You can read books online. You can learn how to do a zillion things watching You Tube videos. So the ones who WANT to learn have opportunities we never had.

3. I'm going to agree that kids were healthier then. For Pete's sake how are there so many kids with peanut allergies and all the other allergies and any number of other illnesses we never knew existed back then ? How are there so many obese and otherwise unhealthy kids now? Sedentary lifestyles and video games I suppose. A little more of that whole "playing outside" thing more might have a positive effect on those things...

4. As to sports , yes they have always been used by some as a platform for political commentary but not pushed to the point that it is now . Now it is THE focus by the network airing the game . And that is why people are abandoning the NFL in droves.

5. Dressing better? I'm frankly tired of seeing people in pajamas on airplanes....and everywhere else. When did it become OK to wear pajamas like they are clothes meant for anywhere other than bed?

Now do I wear a suit to the mall? Not unless I'm also going somewhere else that a suit is appropriate. But I also don't run around looking like a homeless guy or a college student hanging out in the dorm after a late night of drinking. There's a difference between nice shorts and a polo shirt and gym shorts and a tank top. Gym shorts are for the gym.... not a job interview....

6. Work ethic? I hear that all the time from people who own businesses who are hiring people saying that the work ethic they expect is just not there in the millennials. The younger generation wants to be off all the time , they come in late, leave early and act like work is almost an imposition. Having said that, there is also a fine line between doing an honest days work and being a workaholic. As I tell our sales manager..."I've never seen a tombstone that said "I really wish I'd spent more time at work and spent less time with my family".... Of course I'm pretty sure I like my wife more than he likes his....

The thing is though that we play the hand we are dealt. Things are what they are now and I don't see it returning to those times. I'm glad I was a kid in the 70s and not now but I'm pretty much stuck with being an adult now and as Gabe says there are plenty of things we have now that they did not have then. And besides....do you REALLY want to have to go back to carrying a 1911 or a revolver?
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    Way easier to invest and make money if you are disciplined.
    No doubt.
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Tennessee State Handgun Carry Permit Instructor
    Glock Factory Certified Armorer
    IDPA Master Class SSP, ESP,CDP, CCP, BUG
    Gung Ho Chuan Association

TRAIN with me....https://suarezinternational.com/sear...h_query=harris

Fundamentalist Christian Man at Arms

AKA - CRUEL HAND LUKE

Joel 3:10 - Beat your plowshares into swords , and your pruning hooks into spears; train even your weaklings to be warriors.

Through HIS power I can walk on water..IF I just have the faith and courage to get out of the boat.

A good man who's done a couple of bad things along the way....

Let's see. 1978. Second year of law school, living in a converted cinder block garage, driving a Honda Civic, firing one box of .38 or one box of .45 reloads a week, picking up all my brass to get a buck fifty off on a box of 50. Working for an outfit that made corn spreaders on the side. Let's just say it was bittersweet and leave it at that.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 2, 12. And a wakeup.

These types of threads seem to pop up on forums from time to time.

From my perspective, almost all the things better about the present are related to advances in science and technology, and almost everything worse about the present are related to political and social changes.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

I agree with BigEd63 - many (if not most) employers today don't deserve a 2 week notice. Especially in places like Illinois where it's an "at will" situation (you can be fired at any time for any reason or no reason at all without notice). I do my job and I do it damned well (better than pretty much everyone else there) out of pride alone, because I'm underpaid. But the employer has no loyalty to me, so I have none for them. If something works out tomorrow an hour before I start, I quit with an hour's notice.

But overall, work ethic sucks these days, as does management. We had a guard sleeping on the job every day, in the middle of the day, and he lasted 9 months. Had I been in charge, he wouldn't have lasted 9 minutes. Those in charge simply don't want to be bothered to deal with serious problems...say, for example, security cameras not working in a Bio-Safety Level 3 facility. For two months!

We raced bicycles without helmets - and lived! Entertainment was better. I still have a lot of the comics I grew up with in the 60s and 70s. Still love 'em! Modern comics...I've peeked at them. Nothing but sex and gratuitous violence and depravity. No entertainment value at all. Same with a lot of movies and tv especially.

Health-wise there is no argument - people are fatter and sicker than ever. I was challenged once on the subject of school shootings so I had to school someone and show them how there were more school shootings in the 90s decade than there were in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. COMBINED! If I had a time machine, would I go back? Hell yeah. It's one of my best fantasies!
    "Let him cut your skin, and you cut his flesh. Let him cut your flesh, and you cut his bones. Let him cut your bones, and you cut off his life."
    - Toshitsugo Takamatsu

the ones who WANT to learn have opportunities we never had.

the intellectually curious always have the advantage
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Liu View Post
    These types of threads seem to pop up on forums from time to time.

From my perspective, almost all the things better about the present are related to advances in science and technology, and almost everything worse about the present are related to political and social changes.
    Agreed. My son will never know a world without smartphones, ipads, instant access to information, or the ability to connect with anyone, anytime. And that's not so bad. I keep nearly all my info on Dropbox, and if I'm on site and someone has a question I can pull up the info right there, or call/text the person who knows.

I grew up in the 80's and even then there were kids who played Nintendo all day. Blame the parents, not the kids. Fortunately I liked playing sports and reading, so I didn't have to be encouraged to do either one. Although I did like Nintendo too.

I've since gone on, by the grace of God, to be not wealthy, but certainly comfortable. The American Dream, right? Work hard and be successful. Too many kids want to skip the "work hard" part, and they've got a voice and honestly an advantage by being proficient in social media. Then they argue that the Baby Boomers kicked the bill down the road, which may be true, but a the same time they ask for more social programs, free healthcare, free college, etc. I don't know what they learned in school but it wasn't math.

Regardless of who or what to blame for that, America's still the best deal going and there'll be plenty of folks who do what it takes to rise to the top. 2018's not such a bad time to be an American.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Technology and advances in science and medicine are the tools of man and man either uses them or is consumed by them.

Today, a 70 year old man can be muscular and fit and have a girl half his age if he wants. How? By using the knowledge we have now in nutrition, performance engineered drugs (yes, these can work in your favor), and medical advances. I was working drills last night with 5th dan that was at least 15 years older tan I and he was strong and fast. Forty years ago, a man of seventy was visiting funeral dudes and then shuffling off to the senior center for a rousing game of checkers and complaining. Not to say all 70 somethings are like that today, but you have more choices about how to live your life today than 40 years ago.

Today, I can wake up and have a cup of coffee imported from central america and send a text to South Africa and another to Belgium...and by the time my cup is gone, I have replies. I am sitting here on my patio typing on a Spectre tablet that is smaller than most of my college textbooks. And with a push of a button see how HQ is doing and how my investments have developed this week...this month...this year. Back 40 years ago...not so much. Maybe Folgers, postal mail and rotary dial black phone.

Society? I don't give three shits and haven't in forty years. Everything we have today we had then. We had noble warriors and we had pedophile priests...we had great business leaders...and we had communist politicians (the second communist president was in that era...Jimmy Carter). The only thing we have today is the ability to selectively see the info we want to see and anyone can broadcast their views to like minded people. Would we care about dudes marching with plastic cocks, or even know about it without Facebook?

One thing is certain and that is that because of all these things, the nation (notice i did not say "WE") is far more divided than ever. Divided along ideological lines. The left and the right...those who want to win at life and those who want to be tended to...those desiring freedom and those desiring safety. And we are at a crux where no compromise is possible because compromising means giving up too much for each side.

I think this is a good thing because man is not intended to live a compromised collective. And every time one has happened in history, it has had to be implemented by force and eventually breaks down. See the various empires, Roman, British, Spanish, Soviet, Brexit (the EU), and inevitably, the USA. That is a possibility in our age primariliy due to the advancements in communication. It would not have been likely in 1980. And no, I don't see it being a violent thing (preppers, threepers, and all those other pers to the contrary). For people collectively to find group mind, a hive of ecstasis in violence they have to lose so much, feel so much anger and emotion that I do not believe will ever happen in the USA. Moreover, communication would prevent the uncontested birthing of a violent movement in the USA...either by LE, or by those on the other side of the fence whose properties are the prize.

No, I expect a political/economic division that will lead to an actual divorce of regions. A wonderful time for those who can profit from such things.

I like 2018 much more than 1978. Now if I could go back into my 18 year old self knowing what I know today...well that is another matter altogether.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And if you choose carefully, and have the discipline, you can have the best of any and all decades.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 2, 12. And a wakeup.