Default A couple of products worth looking at if youíre still into AKís...

So as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum, the AK market can be broken down into penny pinchers who arenít willing to pay for quality and those who are. Being as the former will always outnumber the latter itís hard to argue against those that have moved on to the AR platform, and generally speaking it would be foolish to try. Still, I like the platform and have been very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the rifles I own.

I currently have 23 rifles spanning from .54 18th Century blackpowder guns to AKís and ARís and have reached a point where I have all the rifles I need and want. So with the extra money I used to spend on more guns I now tend to purchase accessories that look promising. Mostly for my ARís and AKís but occasionally for some of my more classic and vintage rifles as well.

So anyway, with the AK forum being reopened I thought Iíd make mention of a couple products that have come to market that Iíve been impressed with. For those who still have an interest in the platform...

1) Manticore Arms Alfa Rail. It used to be that if you wanted to put tactical rails on your AK you were limited to something that clamped onto the barrel. For the most part this is still true with the only worthy exception being from Magpul. The problem with the Magpul handguards is theyíre heavy. Manticore Arms has brought to market a tactical handguard that mounts the rifle exactly like the OEM handguards. Itís made from 6061 T6 aluminum and is roughly the same dimensions and actually lighter than the OEM polymer handguards. The standard handguard comes in either a Keymod or Ďtransformerí (allowing you to swap out plates for M-Lok, Keymod, or grip panels) configuration. (They also have an extended forend that is only available in Keymod.) It fits tight to the rifle and has zero play and is compatible with the Ultimak gas tube. Installation is fairly straight forward but does require a rubber mallet as it fits very tight. As well as being compatible with the Ultimak theyíve produced their own gas tube cover that sits very low. I don't know if it sits as low as the Ultimak, but itís close. Personally Iíve chosen to stick with the Ultimak but the top cover is a nice option for someone looking to keep the classic lines of the AK. The handguard vents very well and stays cool enough to perform mag dumps without gloves.

This is a piece of kit that 10 years ago the forum would have been ecstatic over. It may be a case of too little too late but itís nice to see someone finally did it right.

2) Manticore Arms F3 Stock Adapter. Made for 4.5mm pins, this adapter is a drop in folding buffer tube for AR stocks allowing for different LOP. Thereís a compartment in the tube for a cleaning kit or something similar and it has a cut out to allow the tube to fold flat even with the AK side rail. Personally I think the cut out makes this adapter kinda ugly but it does what youíd want it to.

2) JMac MOD 1 & 2 Stock Adaptors. These are simply 4.5mm adaptors that require the addition of a standard AR15 buffer tube. The difference between the MOD 1 and 2 is the MOD 2 sits a little higher and has 2 QD points. The JMAC wonít sit flat if your rifle has a side rail but the lack of a cut out does make it a more attractive design IMO.

3) KNS Precision Adjustable Gas Piston. This is the only one I havenít tried out... Yet. But it looks very promising. Itís exactly what it sounds like, an adjustable gas piston. Not exactly something you need but the ability to bleed off excessive gas allows you to adjust for felt recoil. More importantly it also allows you the ability to reliably suppress the AK.

So anyway, for anyone else who still likes to play with their AKís thereís a few products that have come out that are worth looking at.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

On rails and 'tactical' (really do not like that word) hand-guards of metal for mounting optics on the AK is the issue of heat. I did put some insulation on the expose rail elements of my ultimak to save my fingers from being burned too much.
    The optic also has to be up to the task of getting heated up.
    I still want co-witness small aim point like sights.

Adjustable gas pistol. Not needed on an AK. Being overgassed is what the AK is all about. Sounds like something for the gun gamers.

The new stock options I think are worth looking into.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

There was a rail that replaced the rear sight to mount optics, any experience with it?
    KRG-1: Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting
    HRO-5: Terrorist and Active Shooter Interdiction
    CRG-4: Force On Force Gunfighting
    CRG-5: Zero To Five Feet Gunfighting
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School
    HRO-6/HRO-7: CQB-Fighting in Structures/Team Tactics, Urban Warfare Weekend

TWOTU since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    There was a rail that replaced the rear sight to mount optics, any experience with it?
    The Texas Weapon Systems top cover? I had one on my Yugo. With some hand fitting it was an amazingly solid rail.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    On rails and 'tactical' (really do not like that word) hand-guards of metal for mounting optics on the AK is the issue of heat. I did put some insulation on the expose rail elements of my ultimak to save my fingers from being burned too much.
    The optic also has to be up to the task of getting heated up.
    I still want co-witness small aim point like sights.

Adjustable gas pistol. Not needed on an AK. Being overgassed is what the AK is all about. Sounds like something for the gun gamers.

The new stock options I think are worth looking into.
    That was my point with these handguards, they stay cool enough to use without gloves. The adjustable gas piston is a good idea if you’re shooting suppressed. Otherwise at most it’s to help mitigate felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightlightman View Post
    Theres two, the TWS top rail and the AKARS. Both have reviewed well but I only have experience with the first generation TWS. I liked it well enough but I ultimately went back to the Ultimak gas tube. No reason outside of personal preference since I really only use red dots with my AK’s. I think they’re up to a 3rd Generation now that allows you to remove the cover for cleaning.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    That was my point with these handguards, they stay cool enough to use without gloves. The adjustable gas piston is a good idea if you’re shooting suppressed. Otherwise at most it’s to help mitigate felt recoil.

Theres two, the TWS top rail and the AKARS. Both have reviewed well but I only have experience with the first generation TWS. I liked it well enough but I ultimately went back to the Ultimak gas tube. No reason outside of personal preference since I really only use red dots with my AK’s. I think they’re up to a 3rd Generation now that allows you to remove the cover for cleaning.
    For suppressed much easier to go with the AR. If you do not count the cost of the magazines and sales tax, my current AR-15 in 7.62x39 is 400 plus the wolff extrastrength hammer spring, enhanced firing pin, and H3 buffiers. For AKs only those made in actual overseas military AK arsenals are worth fooling with and for the add ons keep them simple.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    So as has been pointed out numerous times on this forum, the AK market can be broken down into penny pinchers who aren’t willing to pay for quality and those who are. Being as the former will always outnumber the latter it’s hard to argue against those that have moved on to the AR platform, and generally speaking it would be foolish to try. Still, I like the platform and have been very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the rifles I own.

I currently have 23 rifles spanning from .54 18th Century blackpowder guns to AK’s and AR’s and have reached a point where I have all the rifles I need and want. So with the extra money I used to spend on more guns I now tend to purchase accessories that look promising. Mostly for my AR’s and AK’s but occasionally for some of my more classic and vintage rifles as well.

So anyway, with the AK forum being reopened I thought I’d make mention of a couple products that have come to market that I’ve been impressed with. For those who still have an interest in the platform...

1) Manticore Arms Alfa Rail. It used to be that if you wanted to put tactical rails on your AK you were limited to something that clamped onto the barrel. For the most part this is still true with the only worthy exception being from Magpul. The problem with the Magpul handguards is they’re heavy. Manticore Arms has brought to market a tactical handguard that mounts the rifle exactly like the OEM handguards. It’s made from 6061 T6 aluminum and is roughly the same dimensions and actually lighter than the OEM polymer handguards. The standard handguard comes in either a Keymod or ‘transformer’ (allowing you to swap out plates for M-Lok, Keymod, or grip panels) configuration. (They also have an extended forend that is only available in Keymod.) It fits tight to the rifle and has zero play and is compatible with the Ultimak gas tube. Installation is fairly straight forward but does require a rubber mallet as it fits very tight. As well as being compatible with the Ultimak they’ve produced their own gas tube cover that sits very low. I don't know if it sits as low as the Ultimak, but it’s close. Personally I’ve chosen to stick with the Ultimak but the top cover is a nice option for someone looking to keep the classic lines of the AK. The handguard vents very well and stays cool enough to perform mag dumps without gloves.

This is a piece of kit that 10 years ago the forum would have been ecstatic over. It may be a case of too little too late but it’s nice to see someone finally did it right.

2) Manticore Arms F3 Stock Adapter. Made for 4.5mm pins, this adapter is a drop in folding buffer tube for AR stocks allowing for different LOP. There’s a compartment in the tube for a cleaning kit or something similar and it has a cut out to allow the tube to fold flat even with the AK side rail. Personally I think the cut out makes this adapter kinda ugly but it does what you’d want it to.

2) JMac MOD 1 & 2 Stock Adaptors. These are simply 4.5mm adaptors that require the addition of a standard AR15 buffer tube. The difference between the MOD 1 and 2 is the MOD 2 sits a little higher and has 2 QD points. The JMAC won’t sit flat if your rifle has a side rail but the lack of a cut out does make it a more attractive design IMO.

3) KNS Precision Adjustable Gas Piston. This is the only one I haven’t tried out... Yet. But it looks very promising. It’s exactly what it sounds like, an adjustable gas piston. Not exactly something you need but the ability to bleed off excessive gas allows you to adjust for felt recoil. More importantly it also allows you the ability to reliably suppress the AK.

So anyway, for anyone else who still likes to play with their AK’s there’s a few products that have come out that are worth looking at.
    Up vote for you kind Sir.

I still like my AKs. They're fun and reliable as all heck.

Thanks for the heads up on the adjustable gas piston. I'll pick one up and try and run a suppressor on the AK.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

IDPS, DOK, TMCO, FVGF, CPM, CRM, SCPIS, TASI

TWOTU Since May 2015

I have been interested in RS Regulate AK optic mounts.

I just want to point out I have shot 10s of thousands of rounds through an ak with ultimak and never worn gloves. Just pointing that out, I don’t like them unless it’s snowing....

I am not a big fan of the gas tube rails, they add too much weight up front IMO. If your rifle lacks a side mount, or has a left or underfolding stock, they are your best option, but for my AKM with the magpul zhukov that folds right, I am happy with the side mount. The TWS Doglegs are alright at best, the Gen 2 broke from a shoulder height fall onto damp dirt on a AKOU video though. I would only get one if you do not have a side rail mount. I am really happy with my PKA-V sight made by Belomo, it co-witnesses the irons, adds the weight right where it needs to be and holds zero on removal from the side mount. Plus it runs 9 months On with a single AA battery, no fancy boutique batteries needed, that might someday become hard to find, AA batteries will outlast humanity in supply someday.

The alfa rail sounds promising, especially if it weighs less than the polymer handguards/heatshield.