Thread: Caleb at 85

Default Caleb at 85

A lesson from Joshua 14:10-12
    “Now then, just as the Lord promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the wilderness. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the Lord helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.”

While the Lord plans, it's up to you to be a good steward of what you've been given and to be prepared in both skill/aptitude and physical ability when you're called to serve. That stewardship is echoed throughout scripture and probably most directly in 1 Cor. 6 where it mentions our bodies are a temple. While I feel this passage has a very deep meaning we cannot ignore the care given to temples in their day and the implications of calling our bodies a temple. As followers of Christ our primary role in life is to share and spread the gospel, which also takes skill/aptitude and physical abilities.
    I don't wish to make this passage about Caleb into something it's not, nor do I want to dilute it into to some sort of self help message, but rather see a lesson here that's overlooked. That lesson is on self preservation and growing old well.
    I remember my great grandfather at 80 fought off two men in their twenties who were trying to force their way into his house after he answered a knock at the door in the middle of the day. My great grandfather was a fighter and a killer. Those men were lucky that day but perhaps I'm luckier to have had such a good lesson taught to me all those years ago. The story of Caleb here in the passage reminds me of my grandfather and his fighting spirit. Age is a thing but how we enter old age matters.

In this passage we also see the faith and lack of doubt Caleb had, he knew his God, His call and what he was promised. We all have things that distract us, staying the course, no matter how long the wait is critical. But the wait for Caleb, as I've already alluded to, wasn't filled with "getting old" but rather vigor. A life of intention and waiting to act rather than waiting to receive.
    Personally I'm very challenged by this lesson in the lesson. It's a great reminder that we are without excuse to take care of what we were given, we are without excuse to act when called on, we without excuse to doubt our calling and when we are empowered by the spirit we are truly unstoppable.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

One thing that annoys me to no end are the languid sky watchers that sit on the couch mouths open waiting for manna to fall from the heavens directly into their craw...without exerting one drop of sweat to feed or better themselves. Everything may be in God's hands, but I will bet He expects you to reach.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    One thing that annoys me to no end are the languid sky watchers that sit on the couch mouths open waiting for manna to fall from the heavens directly into their craw...without exerting one drop of sweat to feed or better themselves. Everything may be in God's hands, but I will bet He expects you to reach.
    The phrase or rather theology "The Lord will provide" has cursed many.
    I've heard of provisional blessings that are nothing short of a miracle, but they are more of the exception than the rule and more blessings come from simple daily obedience and self discipline...
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”