Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    That really is not accurate, unless you're talking about the "10mm Lite" loads that are just 40 S&W equivalent. Of course, most of the rounds tested in that TFB video above fit that category, as do most of the cheaper commercial 10mm practice ammo and some of the "defense" loads. None of those are really representative of what real 10mm does or can do in various barrel lengths.
    Then we disagree. I was involved in load and powder development in the 80's (resulting in AA#7 and AA#9). The goal was to approximate the Norma loads and bring to market ideal 10mm powders. That goal was met.
    Your argument is not with me but with about 30 others chemists and engineers and their test equipment. I didn't say you would see no increase in velocity with barrel length increases, just that it's minimal compared to a cartridge like .357. The pressure curve of the 10mm is just a fact and the anecdotal reports regarding velocity to barrel length simply bear it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulezoo View Post
    Then we disagree. I was involved in load and powder development in the 80's (resulting in AA#7 and AA#9). The goal was to approximate the Norma loads and bring to market ideal 10mm powders. That goal was met.
    Your argument is not with me but with about 30 others chemists and engineers and their test equipment. I didn't say you would see no increase in velocity with barrel length increases, just that it's minimal compared to a cartridge like .357. The pressure curve of the 10mm is just a fact and the anecdotal reports regarding velocity to barrel length simply bear it out.
    Full house loads with AA9 can gain about 400 fps going from a 6" barrel to a 16". Even the lowly 40 S&W with AA7 makes a pretty big jump in longer barrels, right up into 10mm pistol territory. That may be insignificant to you, but I suspect not to most.

FWIW; I happened across a Glock 40 barrel and dropped it in my G20. I didn't write anything down but I seem to recall a significant gain in velocity between the two, enough for me to keep it mounted and decide that if I get around to an aftermarket barrel it will be of the G40 variety.

Yondering, I would love to see some of your 10mm load data if you are in to showing that sort of thing.

Yondering:

Your mailbox is full. PM enroute when there's room.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

2, 1, 12. And a wakeup.

Papa, sorry about that, should be cleared out now.

Fat - send me a PM about what bullet weight data you're interested in and what you'd be shooting it in. I don't mind sharing, if I have something that can help.