Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Every time I've been camping, I've had a Glock. Every single time, I've wished I could have had it out of the holster, but knew it was not a safe option. WAY too easy to get something stuck inside the trigger guard in my sleep. I still brought one of my Glocks last time I went camping, and the whole time laying in my sleeping bag I wished I had brought the Sig instead.

And I share the distaste for DAO. The appeal is completely lost on me. It is the natural outcome of lowest common denominator thinking. But I grew up with a predilection for selecting SA when there was time. For the longest time I just assumed that was common sense, until I was told otherwise by gun writers.

Reason number 8,432 why I'm so appreciative I found WT.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

My bedside G34 is equipped with a Comminoli safety for this very reason.The only Glock I own that still wears one.

There is a place for the Comminolli on pistols other than PDW applications. In all honesty...most people would benefit from having that on a pistol that is outside the holster. Everyone thinks they are a socom ninja death dealer immune from fatigue, stress and the possibility of making a mistake...until they are not.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

This is the line of though that led me to leave the Glock on the dresser and make the M9 or P226 the bedside gun.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Restating the obvious, trying to cut to the bone:

Many here work, travel, live and play in a broad spectrum of threat environments. Unless you are legally restricted from doing so (and even if you are) select the right tools for the threats you are likely to encounter. Keep in mind that we are in a state of war and can encounter an active shooter or violent social disorder anywhere. Don't agonize over which gun fits all. Look in your toolbox. If all you have are hammers, you have not given the matter sufficient study.

Might be time to break out The Book of Five Rings. Again.

What I need as a working LEO is not the best fit for a bedside gun. The bedside gun is not the best for hiking in a rainy, heavily forested environment containing predators, or for doing manual labor in that environment in all weathers. Likely none of these choices is optimum for an NPE, which exist for LEOs, too.
    JonathanNobody wrote recently about his "optimized" G41. It's a useful word in this context.
    Optimize your choices, then optimize the weapon.
    Last edited by Papa; 08-13-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

2, 3, 16. And a wakeup.

Papa
    Nicely optimized summary.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

Upcoming classes:
    See you in Prescott 25-26 August for I2M.

From Murphy: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

There was one DAO gun that I kind of liked: the Sig P228 DAK. I never owned one, but I shot one on a couple of occasions and found it quite pleasing.

I also found the P290RS to be a good gun, but I never would have raved about the trigger. And it was quickly replaced once the G43 hit the scene.
    Virtute et Armis

The P290RS makes some sense for its niche.

But I would have preferred if it was DA/SA.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

I "get" the desire for a more powerful cartridge when in the bush, and as I have said I do like the 357SIG (I like the 10mm too). OTOH Im not sure I see the need for a "different" pistol. Seems to me if we need a "safer" gun in the bush, then its hard to argue that we don't need the same thing at home, what am I missing? At night my handgun sleeps next to me on my bedside table. When I was a MP, in the "field" my 1911 or M9 slept next to me in my boot (if I took my boots off) or in my helmet. Now when camping it stays in my holster on my trousers next to me.

Yeah I get the Glock has a faster, lighter, easier to snag trigger than say a P226 or M9 etc. Like most cops during the 90s I carried a DA/SA pistol. I never felt unarmed and back then it slept next to me on the nightstand or when in the filed in a boot or in my holster. Now with a Glock its the same. I guess Im just not seeing the need to cuddle with it in my sleeping bag.

IF the threat is that high maybe that's not the place to camp....What am I missing?

Just out of curiosity has anyone looked at the Winchester Ranger 9mm+P+? The ballistics on that round are similar to the 357 Sig but you get a slightly higher capacity.