Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Watchers

Well done! I am doing something silimar to you, using My Fitness Pal, an app that helps you count calories. I'm sticking to a 1750/day calorie diet and have lost 25lbs. On a calorie diet one thing I've found is I have to eat low fat foods, as fat has so many calories. I can eat much more eating just protein and carbs.

I always look for Gabe's postings on fitness and nutrition. I've been following Gabe's martial writings since the 90s.

Fasting twice a week, referencing The Obesity Code. I’m down 20 in just under two months, from 6’ 3”, 220 to 200.

Goal is five more. Easiest and fastest that I’ve lost weight. No calorie counting whatsoever, just minimize carbs and almost no sugar. Enjoying meat and lots of vegetables. Something about fasting makes you feel great, and keeps you from eating trash. You realize that you don’t need to eat that much and enjoy good food a lot more.

Best wishes.
    Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth;
    A stranger, and not your own lips.
    Proverbs 27:2

You will fight like you train...

All of these appear to be some form of flexible dieting. Roughly eat what you like but focus more on the total calories. Whether fasting or tracking cals in My Fitness Pal or using points, it all reducing calories at the end of the day.

You can lose weight on 100% sugar and carbs diet if the calories are low, but of course that's unhealthy and bad for the ticker and everything else.

But I would say the high level point is, figure out your body's personal daily energy expenditure (there are lots of calcs to help do this). It will help you get a target for calories for the day. Then split that up according to your desired macro ratios.
    If you're pounding weights regularly, you're going to need those carbs and proteins. If you're a desk jocky, I'd keep carbs as low as possible, just don't need the sugar energy to sit around all day.

I've never seen a diet plan in 20 years that didn't end up being calorie control at the high level. All the rest is just programming the workouts, macros, and meal recipes.
    "Inspirationally pithy quote"
    -Dead dude

Losing weight is simple, but not easy. Thumbs up Gooseman for the hard work and an informative post.

They do weight watchers at my workplace, and i believe the point system recently changed to allow eggs and boneless chicken breast to be zero points (i think the idea is that those will fill a person up with minimal calories). Can't be the worst diet if that is the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
    All of these appear to be some form of flexible dieting. Roughly eat what you like but focus more on the total calories. Whether fasting or tracking cals in My Fitness Pal or using points, it all reducing calories at the end of the day.

You can lose weight on 100% sugar and carbs diet if the calories are low, but of course that's unhealthy and bad for the ticker and everything else.

But I would say the high level point is, figure out your body's personal daily energy expenditure (there are lots of calcs to help do this). It will help you get a target for calories for the day. Then split that up according to your desired macro ratios.
    If you're pounding weights regularly, you're going to need those carbs and proteins. If you're a desk jocky, I'd keep carbs as low as possible, just don't need the sugar energy to sit around all day.

I've never seen a diet plan in 20 years that didn't end up being calorie control at the high level. All the rest is just programming the workouts, macros, and meal recipes.
    My view is that calorie counting doesn’t work long term. It isn’t a simple arithmetic problem. Calories from different food sources aren’t the same, and 95% of a typical daily burn is basic metabolism, leaving a small percentage affected by excercise, and when you eat is as important as what you eat.

Gooseman,
    Congrats on your progress so far.
    We are on similar paths. I was at
    310 pounds, at 6' 2" and 54 years
    old. This is the heaviest I have ever
    been. I started low carb with the
    direction & coaching from a local
    nutritionalist. I am down 52 pounds
    since February, with 8 more to go for
    my first goal. Once I reach that, I have
    no intentions of stopping.

I have so much more energy, and simple
    things like walking up a steep hill that was
    imposing before, is now of no concern.

Being around as long as possible to spend
    time with my beautiful wife & see my son
    grow up, are my main drivers for this, but
    I have to admit that Gabe's standards of
    fitness were a good catalyst for me to get
    started.

I know that low carb is not the best diet,
    but I view it as a means to an end for the
    short term. My wife has been doing Spin,
    TRX, and yoga for 2 or 3 hours a day, in
    a local gym for about 3 years. She has never
    been real heavy, so she looks great. With my
    weight off, I am less self-conscious, so I am
    going to meet with one of the trainers to get
    started at the gym next week.

Keep it up!
    Last edited by Johnny C!; 08-15-2018 at 06:22 AM. Reason: added more comments
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

It is great to see guys getting after it, no matter what the strategy.

JohnnyC, my experience pretty much mirrors yours.

6'3" tall, I was at 315 in Jan. 2018. Sixty-one years old. Screwed up leg (very bad break about 18 years ago, mess up left knee, Factor V leiden (blood clots too easily, take 10 to 12 mg. of coumadin each day, have to be careful about green vegetables and some fruits/berries, medicines, etc.), celiac disease, and so far out of shape it was pitiful.

Went on the atkins diet in late January, try to get to the gym 2 to 3 times a week, don't always make it. Presently converting one of the upstairs to an exercise room (staitionary bike, treadmill and elliptical with plans for some type of weight machine).

Anyway, I've lost between 45 and 50 lbs., so far. Got here, been here for a couple months, not losing more weight (yet) but waist still shrinking. I've made multiple new holes in all my belts and the end of my belt now wraps around under the belt loop on left side (not going to get new belts till I'm where I want to be.)

My blood pressure was never high. Usually hung around 132 over 84. Two weeks ago I had some kind of "spell" where I felt sick, intestines churning/gurgling, dizzy/light headed, sweating (cold sweat) and felt like I was about to throw up. Never threw up, stayed on the toilet emptying my bowels for about 30 minutes in 4 cycles (never loose, just kept going every time I thought I was done). Since then my blood pressure has shown a distinct drop. I just took it a few minutes ago and it was 116/70, heart beats per minute was 57. Don't know what happened but I've felt pretty good since.

Like anyone whose lost weight (enough) I haven't worn my knees braces in months. I used to mow one day and trim a different day. Now I mow/trim on the same day (one after the other). Came home from the gym yesterday, got out in the sun/heat and helped my wife wash her Outlander and clean the inside/windows, put some spray on/wipe off wax on it. This time last year it would have been one or the other, not both one after the other.

I'd like to lose another 40 lbs., at least. That would get me within about 10 lbs. of what I weighed when I graduated from high school.

Food? We've quit eating potatoes, corn, rice, pasta some other stuff we used to eat. But you get used to it. You get to the point where you don't miss it. Like I tell people about doughnuts. Used to be, if there was a box of doughnuts on the counter when I was headed outside I'd open the box, grab two, put one in my mouth, the other in my hand and get my keys out going out the door. Now I walk by the boxes of doughnuts in the store and hardly noticed them. When I do, I grin because I no longer feel any desire to buy a box and take it home.

We've (wife and I) noticed that we go longer without feeling hungry, too. Instead of eating breakfast and wanting something to eat before lunch we quite often eat breakfast and then not eat again till 2 PM or even later. A lot of times she'll look at me and ask me if I'm hungry and we'll agree that it's been 6 or 8 hrs. since we ate, so we probably should eat something. I've gotten fond of some kind of meat, cheese, hot peppers, olives and big dill pickle for desert. I eat that for an evening meal two to three times a week.

I do like a piece of a dark chocolate candy bar now and then.

You can do it, if you want to. You've trained your body to "want" certain food/drink items and not all of them are good for you. So train yourself to leave the "bad" stuff in the store and bring the good stuff home and you'll be better off. Just like training for anything else, your body will get used to it, your mind, too.

M1A,
    Keep it up!

Later!
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

Proud as hell to have you all in the tribe.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters