Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    If you get a chance to visit the Cody Museum I suggest you go. You will see many of the actual guns used by some of the past notables. What I will tell you is that gunfighting did not begin with Gunsite and Cooper. And there were plenty of killers running around long before Cooper got his first 22 rifle. So what is "recommended today" may largely be a factor of institutional prejudices developed and handed down like some inherited religion. Witness Appendix Carry and the resistance of the "industry leaders" to it.

Maybe this should be an article in itself, but here goes.

The 1911 was not intended to be carried cocked and locked like Cooper popularized. All the writings that predate him showed the pistol hammer down. Similar pistols of the era relied on the grip safety and not the thumb safety...kinda like an early XD concept. The thumb safety was added on at the request of the military as I recall reading. So one would think the weapon was either carried with an empty chamber...something I saw in many Euro militaries as late as 2010, or hammer down on a loaded chamber. In the latter case the shooter would thumb cock the weapon as needed.

I know of cases where the 1911 was carried safety off, hammer cocked, and reliance was made on the grip safety for in holster security. Some of Browning's early pistols were designed in that way. Before we hear a collective gasp, that is in essence what the XD is...and a modern SIG P320 is in essence a Glock without a trigger safety...or a 1911 with the grip safety taped down.

I saw several 1911s with the grip safety taped down...one with a very elaborately carved strip of silver, and some with the safety lever welded down, creating a safety-less weapon. All these would have been of the series 70 type weapon with no "drop safety". We assume the old gunmen didn't have the clumsy plodding all thumbs disease so many modern shooters seem to have and didn't drop their pistols.

I suspect that Mr. Walther has the idea of improving all of this with the double action concept. In my opinion a very good one. The only advantages a SA has over a DA/SA is a theoretical one. At close range emergency distances, the DA is just as fast and just as accurate as any SA or striker fired weapon...and arguably safer to carry in less than optimal manners. If the DA shooter is trained properly to use the SA-DA system, he will keep up with the other two systems with no issues.
    For sure, detour next Idaho trip.... Another reason I brought it up was you talking sig a lot more. Just throwing stuff out there..

And I like history on why things developed. The gunman of the olden days was let loose with free range. I like seeing what they did to optimize thier stuff and why. The same reason is today are looking and changing our stuff like we are.