Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
Everything helps.

Parking further from the store for a longer walk. Using stairs when you can, always walk up escalators. Do a light stretch every chance you get through the day...you don't have to do a full routine just reach for the ceiling or twist your spine or whatever. Drop into a squat when no one is looking. Practice a takeoff when no one is looking. Find ways to practice something martial in plain sight without looking like a crazy fool (yes you can do this). When you're stuck in meetings, squeeze your hand into a strong fist. Stand on one foot when you can to build balance. Move every joint in your body as much as you can throughout the day. Use the time you are stuck in the car to do SOMETHING, even if it's just moving around your ankle. Get a hand squeezer and use it in the vehicle.

This of course isn't a replacement for a real workout, but these things add up and it's more about getting into and keeping a routine. There's not enough time in the day to practice everything we should, so make time in the small spaces in your day.

I'll say this...a strong grip and a great fist is an asset in the fight.

A former BJJ champion who is a also physical therapist recommended isometric exercises to me. I am in my 60s and in good shape for my age, but my strength improved considerably, and fast, by doing various isometric exercises. I have done them clandestinely in boring staff meetings to avoid becoming drowsy, and often do them at my desk in the office to help relieve stress on those loooonnnnggg frustrating days when nothing seems to go right.

Getting in and out of your car without using your hands, other than for opening the door, is also a good exercise, and a good skill to have.

POed