Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "certainly illustrates the diversity of the word",from Boondock saints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWzGm1W0WY

Default Some are held to a different standard...

My son is 11B "Old Guard" and a Sentinel at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. He has pledged to not swear, smoke or drink and is held to standard of honor above reproach.

He indicates that is a lifestyle quite different than his time at Ft. Benning.

He considers it to be a sacred duty and he never swears.

I on the other hand consider myself an expert.

My dedication to this sacred duty
    is total and whole-hearted.
    In the responsibility bestowed on me
    never will I falter.
    And with dignity and perseverance
    my standard will remain perfection.
    Through the years of diligence and praise
    and the discomfort of the elements,
    I will walk my tour in humble reverence
    to the best of my ability.
    It is he who commands the respect I protect,
    his bravery that made us so proud.
    Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day,
    alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
    this soldier will in honored glory rest
    under my eternal vigilance.
    - Simon 1971
    Last edited by yrusik; 07-31-2018 at 06:31 AM.

The old guard is probably the most militarily professional unit in the armed forces.

They embody, personify really, the phrase 'military bearing'. As their job is one of the highest degree of honor and respect possible for a soldier to attain, yes, he is right.

There is no place for swearing or foul language in the old guard.

I personally am of the opinion that it is far better and a sign of greater intelligence to be able to express oneself completely and accurately without so much as a 'freaking' word being used.

I have a ways to go, but I dont think swearing is a sign of toughness, intellect, or bravery in any case. In fact, people who swear overly frequently, I have a hard time taking seriously.

I have sworn, for example, over the phone when others were listening I wasnt aware were there, and felt quite embarrassed afterward.

I doubt swearing in a fight will take you to super saiyan levels.

Overly frequently is the key.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

"The old guard is probably the most militarily professional unit in the armed forces.

They embody, personify really, the phrase 'military bearing'. As their job is one of the highest degree of honor and respect possible for a soldier to attain, yes, he is right.

There is no place for swearing or foul language in the old guard."

Thanks you.

Most have no idea what the 3IR is and I appreciate your kind comments. It is a different world inside the "Old Guard" that goes beyond pledging to never drink, smoke or swear.

This boy has been driven to be "Old Guard" since he was 10 years old when his elder sister was killed. Who knew? America has a really big ARMY and in the last 100 years there have only been around 600 Tomb Guards and as testament to his character he now lives in Arlington. He walked away from a full ride ROTC scholarship to enlist as 11B so he would have a shot at 3IR "Old Guard". He know what he wanted. Pretty ballsy...

"Sacred duty".

His uniform is required to be maintained with insignia within 1/64" at all times and is inspected regularly. The Sentinels are allowed to have 3 minor infractions (off a 1/64"). In 100 years there has never been a perfect score and 97% is failing. Just a different kind of life for driven and tough young men. They are also Infantry soldiers and not only must they maintain their duty at the "Tomb" but must also maintain their status as "Expert Infantryman".

You must admit that they are beautiful soldiers and national treasures.

It is fascinating as a parent to watch your children grow and flourish in the choices in their short lives based on their personal experiences. Mine have always surprised me with their courage and drive. They have all chosen the military as a way to start their adventures and have turned out OK in spite of me.

Some may remember that grim day in September 2010 when I returned home from a Close Range Handgun class to find that my beloved daughter who was a US ARMY LT in a combat aviation brigade had been killed. Frankly, the support offered by Warrior Talk helped us survive this event.

Clearly it affected all of her siblings.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...87#post1020587

The boy's 19 year old twin sister is now Dust Off crew off the North Korean border who considers fast roping out of a BlackHawk with a M9 and Unit One Pack as the high point of her day. She has the same Mensa IQ, nerves of steel and heart of gold her elder sister did.

FYI she swears like a damn sailor and is working on a full sleeve. Her mother does not like it at all.

Pardon me for bragging.

Cheers,
    Last edited by yrusik; 07-31-2018 at 02:46 PM.