Default AR-10 Build Suggestions

A few months ago I bought an AR10 matched upper and lower. Why I would do such a thing when I already have two very nice AR10s I rarely use is a perplexing question best saved for a different thread. But it was a quality set at an absurdly good price so I bought it.

Now the question is what to do with the thing.

Plan 1 is to build a 308 and wait for the next gun crisis to double my investment. But that seems pretty boring so Im looking for ideas. I have a couple of 6.5 Creedmoor bolt actions so Im not sure I see a need for that. But I toy with the idea.

So what would you build? What caliber/application am I not thinking of that would be fun?
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

338 Federal is on my list. Check out all the calibers Wilson Combat has barrels for. Their prices are good and quality is said to be at or above par with other quality barrel brands.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    338 Federal is on my list. Check out all the calibers Wilson Combat has barrels for. Their prices are good and quality is said to be at or above par with other quality barrel brands.
    Thought about that one. Kind of cool. 7mm-08 would be kind of cool too.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

6.5 Creedmore since you do not already have one in an AR or how about a .243 Winch..
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Have you been paying attention to what the guys at Q (Kevin Brittingham and gang, the guys behind 300 Blackout) are working on? They are calling it 8.6 Creedmoor--basically the same concept as the 300 Blackout, but in the bigger platform. Optimized for short barrels, make it easy to do subsonic, etc. They are working with Hornady and Discreet Ballistic initially:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDipcNn...the_official_q

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bki2oVKn...the_official_q

For supersonic, they are saying a 150 grain out of a 12.5" barrel gets 2450 fps. In subsonic at 1000 fps bullets would be over 300 grain.

Sounds like it may be ready for prime time soon, but no idea when parts would be ready for your build.

They have a podcast--the most recent episode is Pete from TFB digging into the history of 300 Blackout with them--it's pretty interesting. They also talk about 8.6 Creedmoor and barrel lengths in general.
    Last edited by mike135; 07-30-2018 at 01:22 PM.

DogDoc - I've occasionally thought about a 358 Win in that platform, in a 16"-18" barrel with 1:14 twist. That gives you the option for everything from light 60gr 9mm/380 bullets up to 300+gr heavies, with "normal" loads being in the 200-250gr range. You should be able to set that up for full power 200 gr loads and subsonic 300 gr loads if you wanted, with the option to use light expanding bullets at subsonic pistol velocity for quiet plinking.

With standard loads it'd be a great pig and deer gun, with enough mass behind it to handle moose and bear too.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    6.5 Creedmore since you do not already have one in an AR or how about a .243 Winch..
    Everything I've read about building a .243 AR-10 has been hit and miss as most that have built one said the .243 is very barrel length sensitive where the 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 are not. I have a Aero Precision 20" 6.5 Creedmoor upper on my AR-10 lower right now and it's tack driver and the .308 upper is boringly accurate with an 18" Barrel.
    Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants. Unknown

"Surround your self with the following things and you will lead a pretty rewarding and satisfied life, God, Family, Good Friends, Good Food, Good Beer/Wine."