Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45-70 Optic

They are just not heavily constructed enough for big game to suit my tastes for game bigger than deer. I have had less than satisfactory performance in one elk and on the same hunt a close friend had identical results. We both had great shot placement and poor billet performance on the recovered bullets. He has also had the same results in Africa on larger plains game (fortunately he had a back up rifle).

They are fine for deer even the decent sized sized one in the Midwest.

I just worn use use them on anything bigger.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hartzell View Post
    They are just not heavily constructed enough for big game to suit my tastes for game bigger than deer. I have had less than satisfactory performance in one elk and on the same hunt a close friend had identical results. We both had great shot placement and poor billet performance on the recovered bullets. He has also had the same results in Africa on larger plains game (fortunately he had a back up rifle).

They are fine for deer even the decent sized sized one in the Midwest.

I just worn use use them on anything bigger.
    It is bullet construction and not energy/velocity from what you are saying; makes sense.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I don't think the hornady LE is a bonded bullet so it limits its abilities in bigger game.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I've been running Nikon 2-7x scopes on both my 1895 45-70 and my 1894 44 mag for hunting mid-western deer. For the range of the cartridge and the terrain I hunt in these scopes have worked very well for me with both guns for many years.
    Since others have mentioned bullets, I have settled on the Speer 300 gr. unicore bullet in 45 70 loaded to about 1890 fps in my Guide gun. The bullet expands reliably to about .72 caliber and holds together and penetrates very well.

In the 44 I am using 300 gr. XTP bullets loaded to about 1450 fps. I have never recovered one of the 44 bullets. They penetrate better than the 45-70 bullets I am using and I cannot tell any difference on the effect on deer between the 2 guns and loads. On my shoulder the 44 feels like almost no recoil while the 45-70 is much more noticeable FWIW.

Last year I hunted exclusively with the 44 because of some retina problems... needed less recoil and as I said, the reaction of the 2 deer I killed was exactly that of the 45-70, both shots at about 80 yards, the scope on about 3 to 4 power at the time.

Take a look at Leupold FX 2.7 Scout . Made for lever guns.
    I used a 2x7 variables on my lever guns, there is nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin. In fact, I think it looks good!
    IOutdoorPursuit
    Last edited by Rspires; 07-30-2018 at 10:39 AM.

I would stay FAR AWAY from a scout scope....nice concept for the range in good light I guess. But for hunting early & late....no bueno....lot's reflection off of the rear lens. I hunted extensively for years w/ a Burris scout scope on a muzzle loader. Glad I sold them.

I will disagree with everything you said about the Scout Scopes.

They are are designed for shorter range usesage (under 300 yards) and they gather plenty of light for their intended purposes.

Lets ask ourselves.

If if I can see it with my super light gathering Bino’s at first or last light and not with my naked eye or through my scope of choice should we ethically be taking a shot at a game animal?

I have also hunted extensively with Scout, IER, EER, and various pistol scopes and never once has it been an issue.

But afain everyone is different

the areas I hunt happen to have a fair amount of foliage and timber. I also still hunt a lot.

Bue even on in wide open square ranges in bright light its never been a problem.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Yeah, I hunted with my Leupold scout scope for quite a few years too, and never had an issue with it. I always felt I could see better with it at low light than I could with my bare eyes. Never actually had that rifle at a square range; it was purely for killin' stuff.

Then again, low light is one area that sets Leupold apart from the rest of the pack, and there's a big gap between Leupold and Burris in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Then again, low light is one area that sets Leupold apart from the rest of the pack, and there's a big gap between Leupold and Burris in my experience.
    I was out shooting at dusk a few weeks ago. Had three brands of Scopes. I could t believe how much better the Leupold did than the others in the dimming light.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Leupold scout scope on my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. . .
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!