Default Paging Eric - Ippon!

Something that came across my feed this morning. I know, I know...it's a cat video. But give the cat its due, it's a great execution of a forward momentum throw.

I'm loath to post a cat video but it's better than shooting people over handicap spots.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 07-24-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

This just made my day.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Thats a cat video I would watch a few times. Just like the antifa protester with the baton getting owned.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    it's better than shooting people over handicap spots.
    Indeed
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    But give the cat its due, it's a great execution of a forward momentum throw.
    As dumb as it sounds, i've often thought that a lot of good fighting moves taught by SI and others can be seen in cats fighting/playing. GOTX in particular is something I've noticed that cats do better than any other animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    As dumb as it sounds, i've often thought that a lot of good fighting moves taught by SI and others can be seen in cats fighting/playing. GOTX in particular is something I've noticed that cats do better than any other animal.
    The kung fu world has a lot of stuff supposedly based on animals (if you've watched Kung Fun Panda you get the idea). I used to think that was dumb...I'm not a tiger or a snake and sure as hell not a crane. I'm a human and I need to move like one.

But I've softened on that some. Animals move very well, and though we may not move like them they can certainly give us ideas.

One thing you'll notice with animals...they tend not to fight head on with animals outside their species. They attack from behind or from the flanks. And if startled, they get off the X and either run or attack from rear/side angles. Of course they will go face to face within their species...but those tend to be contests, not fights to the death.

The big horn rams clash head to head and the strongest sheep gets the ladies. But all it would take is one malevolent ram to crash the ribs of the others and he would kill the others.

I picked up a very useful drill once. It's a variation of the "one-step" drill that I picked up from Rory Miller. In a nutshell, person A and B go hands on, moving slowly. Person A gets one move, then person B gets one move, etc. This starts with A and B just performing an attack (with the receiver allowing the attack to connect, it's a learning drill) and progresses to performing simultaneous offensive and defensive movement. This drill is about learning to see/find openings and to condition yourself to attack/defend/move at the same time. If you've done the 0-5 class with me, you've done a few variations of this drill.

The variation relevant to this thread is the Animal Drill. I find it useful for anyone, but it's perhaps most useful for those who have no previous hand to hand background. Person A and B both pick an animal. They don't tell each other what that animal is. Then they go hands on and have to fight the way they think that animal will fight. It starts out silly but pretty quickly people get more serious about it. They get into the role, and next thing you know the students who had no idea how to fight all the sudden are pulling off shit that would legitimately work. It exercises your imagination...and for the student who knows little it takes their mind off the fact that they don't know what they are doing, and focuses them on moving, defending, and attacking. Making it a game takes some of the stress out of it.

It adds some fun to try to guess your partner's animal after you're done.

It's a little silly, but it's fun. And that's how animals learn how to fight and kill...they play.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Spider monkey FTW!

I had this bad-ass tom who would grab another cat, spin it around so fast it was a blur, and end up on top of the cat with his teeth on the cat's throat. Then he'd just release it and walk away. Looked like really good jiu jitsu. The other four cat's were terrified of him. When he would come in, the others would stop acting like fools and sit at attention. He liked to bring live, fully grown squirrels on the front porch, and kill them in front of the other cats, just to scare them.

He missed the mount after the throw for a good ground and pound.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Ack, how did I miss this thread? Nice!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"