Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Older eyes here too. What got me switched over to a red dot was an outdoor class in overcast weather and an indoor competition, in both events I had problems seeing the iron sights when there was less than perfect lighting.

Seems like Jeff22s original question was missed by all respondents. Sounded like he was asking if an RMR would hold up to 40 S&W recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hatfield View Post
    Older eyes here too. What got me switched over to a red dot was an outdoor class in overcast weather and an indoor competition, in both events I had problems seeing the iron sights when there was less than perfect lighting.

Seems like Jeff22s original question was missed by all respondents. Sounded like he was asking if an RMR would hold up to 40 S&W recoil.
    I didn't get that from his question, but I've got a G23 wearing an RMR installed however long ago Suarez first offered the service with easily the highest round count of any pistol I own, at least 20-25,000 rounds, maybe a lot more than that, and the older type RMR has been flawless. I picked up a milled and RMRd G22 from a forum member a couple of years after getting the G23, but I soon sold it to a LEO who has used it as his primary off duty carry since, also with no issues. He shoots a lot more often than I do, enough so that he is noticing some loss of accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if he has twice my round count with no RMR issues.

To the point of caliber selection if that was what he was asking, my friend and I have both gone almost completely to 9mm. We both keep and carry the two pistols mentioned because of the extreme reliability they've shown through those round counts. Maybe a more emotional than practical decision for me, but he also has the good taxpayers of our county paying for his ammo.

Yeah one of my considerations was should I switch back to 9mm if I decide to switch to a Glock with an RMR for duty use. The durability of an RMR with a steady diet of .40 cal was one of the considerations. From my research, it seems like an RMR would hold up fine when used with a full size .40 caliber gun.

(I'm a retired cop who works at two different agencies part-time. Both agencies are looking at Chiefs retiring by the end of 2020. I may wait to see who replaces them and how they feel about an RDS on a handgun before I switch for duty use)

Another consideration is that nearly everybody I train will at either agency will have some flavor of Glock handgun with iron sights. I've always felt, in general, that an instructor should run the same equipment as the troops in order to be viewed as credible. (One agency issues the G22 and at the other one officers purchase their own sidearms)
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International