Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I may, and get the carbine foreend to shroud it
    I debated that, but decided against it (given my role for the gun). The great multitude of options that exist for the Scorpion are both a blessing and a curse. It means there is no single right way to set up the gun. You have to tailor it to your use.

For a bedside gun, I think extending the hand guards to cover the can makes sense. You gain the option of extending your forward grip and protect yourself from a hot can. You also increase your sight radius, but that arguably isn't necessary for a bedside gun.

For me, the Scorpion is a traveling gun. With the "stock" folded and can removed, it's a mere 16" from stem to stern. I lose the option of a more forward grip, but gain compactness. In my role, the added sight radius would be a benefit, but I'm primarily using an RMR anyway. To prevent burns, I just put a cover on it. (I went with one of the silicone covers from Bowers. It is thinner and catches on things less than other covers.)

One modification that I've been debating is whether to add a QD device. My .300 cans are all set up with SiCo's ASR mounts. While Q maligns them, I have found them entirely satisfactory. But my Omega 9K is currently just a direct-thread. I purchased it with the intent to run it on pistols and found that I almost never actually do so. It's permanent host now is the Scorpion. One reason to add QD would be to avoid the danger of the can coming loose--but I've never actually had a problem with that, and I do a pretty good job of reaching up occasionally to twist-tighten the can when I'm running it. The primary benefit of the QD for me would be the ability to shift the 9K onto a .300 BLK. But my .300s are now set up with Omega 300s, so there isn't any real need to do that. This is a rather piddly question that probably doesn't deserve this much thought (or print space) but I keep going back and forth on which is the best plan. To QD or not to QD, that is the question. Any opinions from the tribe?
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post

With the "stock" folded and can removed, it's a mere 16" from stem to stern. I lose the option of a more forward grip, but gain compactness. In my role, the added sight radius would be a benefit, but I'm primarily using an RMR anyway. To prevent burns, I just put a cover on it. (I went with one of the silicone covers from Bowers. It is thinner and catches on things less than other covers.)
    This is basically my thoughts too and why I haven't done anything to the weapon at this point. I may change my mind later down the road when I'm more inclined to drop all the cash on a can and stamp.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Depends.

Generally speaking I prefer QD. Especially for a traveling gun that might need to fit in a smaller space.

Also, after awhile the on and off with the threads is a pain in the ass, if you move it around between long guns. But sounds like that’s not an issue for you.

QD isn’t as big a deal if it never leaves the gun, though I prefer not having to always tighten it.

But practically, with the 9k, you may find you want to mount it on a pistol. And if it’s just shooting at the range, that’s easier with threads.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Manticore Arms showed a prototype of their new Bullpup that actually looks like an interesting option... SBR, 8" barrel, Integrally Suppressed, 20" OAL.

wow...a bullpup evo...yey...
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters