Default CZ Scorpion EVO Issues?

I'm seriously considering the platform after my buddy showed me his suppressed micro build. Very smooth shooter and very compact.

What are the most common issues that you've run into?

What parts are you having issues with?
    James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Quote Originally Posted by Nabalfodrows View Post
    I'm seriously considering the platform after my buddy showed me his suppressed micro build. Very smooth shooter and very compact.

What are the most common issues that you've run into?

What parts are you having issues with?
    None and none other than my observations on the platform in other threads. There are things that can be improved but noting I'd call an issue.

Haven't done anything with the Micro, but if I were going with a barrel length that short I'd go with the Glock PDW before I'd get the EVO micro.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    None and none other than my observations on the platform in other threads. There are things that can be improved but noting I'd call an issue.

Haven't done anything with the Micro, but if I were going with a barrel length that short I'd go with the Glock PDW before I'd get the EVO micro.
    Thank you for the response! I've run my Glock PDWs rather extensively and they work great. However, this last outing has me seriously considering the EVO. I like the non-reciprocating red dot, the quick-detach of the red dot for iron-sight usage, the inexpensive 30 round mags, and the fact that I can operate it more like a rifle. My buddy has an Omega 9k on his and I really liked how the gas stayed out of my face. We've tinkered with his 9k on one of my Glock PDWs before and (call me a wuss) the gas is nigh unbearable. If I do invest in the platform, it will be suppressed.
    James 1:5 - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Quote Originally Posted by Nabalfodrows View Post
    My buddy has an Omega 9k on his and I really liked how the gas stayed out of my face. We've tinkered with his 9k on one of my Glock PDWs before and (call me a wuss) the gas is nigh unbearable. If I do invest in the platform, it will be suppressed.
    That's good to hear; some blowback actions are OK suppressed and some aren't. Like you, I've found gas and powder particles in the face from suppressed shooting is a big drawback of the Glock PDW setup.

I have one that I have over 10K rounds through. So far I have broken the firing pin block and the disconnector. Other than that no issues at all. It has spent most of its life with a can on it.

I just found a pic of the firing pin block that broke.

Last edited by Jim Pelis; 07-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Might want to experiment with a Radial Delayed Blowback operating system (by CMMG) for "smoother" shooting.

Gents...I suggest leaving the AR 9mm out of the discussion as it only muddies up the thread. If you prefer it, cool...I spent some time with one and found the platform less than optimal...CMMg or anyone else. There are better choices in the SMG/PDW realm for those who listen.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The Scorpion. I got one and have been running it. The guys that say it recoils need to eat meat and lift. Seriously....recoils? Come on.

Mine has an Onega 9k on it. It is the shortest can and it is ridiculously quiet with subsonics. With the brace folded and the can in place the Scorpion fits in a briefcase.

We will make a few things for this as nothing mass produced is ever perfect. More to follow...so far it is mt opinion that of all the purpose designed SMGs available,today, this has the best potential.

Better than SIG.
    Better than Uzi.
    Better than any AR 9mm.
    Better than Kris or the ridiculous Ruger.
    Gabe Suarez

fullsizeoutput_53a.jpg
    After owning a Scorpion for less than a month, I had already spent half the cost of the gun again on upgrades. But I will concede that none of them were essential. Cost was not a concern to me, and the aftermarket for the EVO allowed me to tailor the gun very precisely to my own tastes.

Thumb safety. This is the one upgrade that some would assert is 'necessary.' There are several options out there to choose from. I went with Parker Mountain, and they are a huge improvement. The factory thumb safety was in a very uncomfortable position. The new safety is easy to operate and doesn't jab into my grip.

Handguard. I switched to a HBI M-LOK hand guard, which gave me both M-LOK modularity and also a slightly longer sight radius.

Trigger. The most significant trigger improvement is actually the spring, which costs $6. But switching the trigger shoe itself did also have a more modest improvement in feel for me.

Mag release. I put a larger mag release on it. While I hate extended mag releases on pistols, I like it on the SMG.

Charging handle. I switched to a slightly larger polymer charging handle. More size helps. Most enlarged charging handles are aluminum, which can cause increased friction with the aluminum hand guards. Staying with a polymer charging handle eliminates that problem. I currently have two charging handles in my gun, so that I can run it from either side. I've decided that this is unnecessary, though. I'll likely build another of these at some point, and I'll pull the right-side CH and use it in the second EVO.

Grip. I like a more vertical grip for this, so I got one. I do wish that it had a door or plug on the bottom, that would seal up the compartment within the grip. As it is, I stuffed a Bore Snake, 2032 battery, and hex wrench in there, and then just closed it up with electrical tape. It works, but I'd rather have a more elegant solution than electrical tape.

Sling points. I added some QD cups from Parker Mountain, too.

"Stock." I strongly prefer the Gearhead Works Tailhook set-up over the Sig Brace.

Silencer. I'm running an Omega 9K, which seems to be a good combination.

Optics. I debated between an RMR and and MRO, narrowly choosing the RMR and basing that decision largely upon the availability of the very sleek mount that CZ Custom makes for the RMR. Mine is an RM09 (1 MOA dot, adjustable).
    Virtute et Armis

When the Uzi was the thing, I started out with a standard size Uzi. Later I had an opportunity to get a Mini Uzi. I still have both. The Mini was attractive...but at the end of the day...it didnt do anything better than the bigger Uzi, and it was not as easy to work with as the larger Uzi.

The MP5 was the same thing. The MP5 PDW came,out and everyone wanted one. But the actual MP5 was so much easier to use that the PDW stayed in the armory.

I see the micro conversions in the same way...alot of work to get no real advantage other than looking cool. More compact is not more better if it sacrifices utility. And at some point...you realize that the Glock PDW is now a point of comparison again with the circumcised scorpion because you gave up the advantage the SMG gave you.
    Gabe Suarez