Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think it's most likely salt content. I usually recommend people salt the hell out of their food when they start doing low carb or fasting to help ward off the transition weirdness.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Yes, that's the purpose, it also help with hunger if you experience a little pang. Make it yourself, throw in a little sea salt and ginger, onions, whatever. Boil the concoction and strain it for later use.

Drink water constantly during the day, especially if you are a maniac coffee drinker like most of us.
    Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth;
    A stranger, and not your own lips.
    Proverbs 27:2

You will fight like you train...

Just a general comment. I've been working 90-100 hours a week for the past 10 months or so starting some new ventures. In the past, I had gained weight during times of high stress like this, so I implemented an informal intermittent fasting routine. I simply haven't been eating from later in the evening until noon. It's worked exceptionally well. I've been consistently losing weight, even though I've increased the number of restaurant meals I'm eating. Also, not eating breakfast and later at night saves quite a bit of time, which I devote to work. I definitely recommend intermittent fasting for weight loss.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

"The epidemic of obesity, including childhood obesity, occurred in the past 40 years with the eating pattern of three meals a
    day plus snacks," Mattson added. "So clearly, that is not necessarily a healthy eating pattern. If people can avoid overeating by
    skipping meals, once they adapt to that, it can only be a good thing."

Discerning appetite from hunger is a distinction that few consider.

Mods, remove if this article is not allowed: behind a subscription wall so not possible to link, but I think interesting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Best approach is to read The Obesity Code, then get after it. A little discipline equals strong results, making it easy to do.

There is also a pragmatic/psychological aspect to this. You are no longer a slave to food. It fits the independent mindset of a warrior who despises the idea of being like everyone else. The results speak for themselves.

You still enjoy eating and the social/celebratory aspects thereof, but you know exactly how to stay fit after indulging from time to time.

Discipline is freedom is real.

Discipline is freedom is right on, as is not being a slave to food. Slovenly eating habits and undisciplined eating is what is killing Americans. I was getting my daily espresso yesterday and three dudes in line in front of me were young enough to be my kids. Every single one of them was overweight with that roll-over-the-belt look. And everty single one got a couple of pastries and one of those sticky sweet coffee drinks.

Other than hormonal issues (which can still be fixed by functional docs), there is no reason to not be fit and strong and relatively lean.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I don’t necessarily think eating 3 times a day with snacks is the issue when it comes to obesity. I grew up eating that way and at 45 I still have abs for all the women to see at the pool or beach. It’s the quality of what is consumed the quantity of what’s consumed and the lack of physical activity. The younger generation would rather be exercising their thumbs playing video games or surfing the web rather than working their bodies.

Realized that I do a limited fast almost every working day. Up at 0400, eat at 0600, usually in my vehicle, maybe a protein bar at 0800, then nothing except coffee and water until 1800, and then it's a handful of mixed nuts or some keifer until dinner at 2000 or later.
    This would explain why, if I hold over, I scour the precinct for anything remotely edible when I'm cleaning up the day's wreckage. Cookies, donuts, rodents, insects beware. And cannibalism as a last resort.
    And on days off, I eat "normally," and my body has to adapt to different times, amounts, qualities.
    Light bulb moment.
    Got some reading to do.
    Thanks.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

2, 4, 13. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    I don’t necessarily think eating 3 times a day with snacks is the issue when it comes to obesity. I grew up eating that way and at 45 I still have abs for all the women to see at the pool or beach. It’s the quality of what is consumed the quantity of what’s consumed and the lack of physical activity. The younger generation would rather be exercising their thumbs playing video games or surfing the web rather than working their bodies.
    Some truth to that, all calories aren’t the same, etc, but the problem is more complex, and too often the medical community (especially the government agencies) are wrong, and are too quick and lazy to simply blame the patient. We do that to some degree too. However, the book exactly lays out why people like you stay thin and others don’t, and how calories in vs burned doesn’t work.

You’d benefit from reading The Obesity Code. It’s an insulin resistance problem, and what and when we eat creates it. A lot more valuable information and data, as to how this happens, how to overcome it...kind of fascinating actually. It all makes sense, and you see the results everywhere you look.

Most people are lazy and want a quick fix that takes no discipline.
    The medical establishment is quick to provide the illusion of a quick fix for them.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters