Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heckathorn View Post
    Can you, honestly,shoot sub MOA with any firearm you own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    with the lapua I was shooting 4” groups at 1000. That range was were I started, way before si. I was surrounded by only bench rest shooters that showed me what to do at long range. Dude, my super match m1a was shooting swinging 6” plates at 800 yards. So yeah, I havnt been up there for a while. But, I bet you a 100.00 I can run it out on every target. Especially with the lapua. :)

I’m not shitting you, I probably have 6000 rounds of handloads through the 308 pss. 2-3k through the lapua. 3000-4000 through my 300 ultra mag. Super match? Maybe 1000. I would go almost every weekend for about 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    with the lapua I was shooting 4” groups at 1000. That range was were I started, way before si. I was surrounded by only bench rest shooters that showed me what to do at long range. Dude, my super match m1a was shooting swinging 6” plates at 800 yards. So yeah, I havnt been up there for a while. But, I bet you a 100.00 I can run it out on every target. Especially with the lapua. :)
    I wish I could hit a swinging plate at 800. It’s be a bitch to know where it’d be by the time the bullet travelled that far and any winds between me and the plate took their toll.
    Last edited by JonathanNobody; 07-07-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I wish I could hit a swinging plate at 800. It’s be a bitch to know where it’d be by the time the bullet travelled that far and any winds between me and the plate took their toll.
    I could have you doing it in a half an hour. It’s not that hard. I had my dad shooting those plates with my bolt gun in his first 20 rounds or so. The hardest part was documenting all my come ups, but I developed my own system.

Oh, I had the ultra mag shooting 1/4 moa. I converted it to the lapua because I wanted to shoot bigger bullets. I couldn’t get it to group past 200 grains so my options were to rebarrel and stick with 30 cal or jump up to the real bullet for damn near the same price. I think my 100 rounds of brass at that time were around 2.00 a piece. Powder and bullets were about the same. I read an article one time how a guy was shooting 300 grain sierras 2500 yards and was making body shots. I said, I can do that, I want to do that. My only hinderance was space that far to shoot. Call it bullet golf or whatever, it was fun at the time. I also have 500+ rounds through a 50 bmg. But whatever, I was just trying to stir up some thought on something different. But I honestly don’t know why I give a shit...

There are many solutions available when extreme accuracy is desired. My current fascination is the DMR concept--engaging multiple targets at extended ranges in a short time. If you aren't familiar with the Teludyne StraightJacket barrel system, check it out--it's all about what happens to your accuracy when your barrel heats up. Their line is "we make your best 3 shot group your normal 10 shot group". They can mod your barrel, or you can buy a new assembly for AR-15/10s from Falkor under the Dracos Barrels brand (they are expensive, but the blem sale prices are much better).

For real world sniping against 2-legged targets, a quality semi-auto with that barrel is my ultimate setup.

I "get" your interest in precision shooting. Hell that's what got me excited about PRS shooting. I owned two 50s (a bolt gun and a M107); but never got to stretch their legs. When I sold the Barrett it had a red dot on it; because it had evolved into an anti vehicle role instead of a long range rifle.

I started my precision life with a M21 then a M24. Since then Ive had my share of bolt and semi options. Im currently playing with a M1a for my own M21esque build; but all the talk about the LaRue "builds" has me wanting one of those as well.

During my military and police career, Ive watched as sniping has morphed from "sorta" precision (VietNam) to eyeballs measured in miles (well almost). The technology and equipment have certainly advanced but Ive also seen a trained police sniper miss a shot at 30 yards while hunting on a Black Bear because he was using the wrong gun (waaaay over scoped).