Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We really shouldn't have to go over this AGAIN folks, but milspec is simply best quality from the lowest bidder PERIOD.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    We really shouldn't have to go over this AGAIN folks, but milspec is simply best quality from the lowest bidder PERIOD.
    Milspec may not be the best, but it does serve a very valuable purpose of establishing a baseline for everybody to build on. Are we ever going to get an accepted standard for AR-10 types that everybody can centralize around, or is it more desirable from the manufacturers' perspective for everybody to do their own version of "ours is better than anybody else's" marketing and branding?

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    Milspec may not be the best, but it does serve a very valuable purpose of establishing a baseline for everybody to build on. Are we ever going to get an accepted standard for AR-10 types that everybody can centralize around, or is it more desirable from the manufacturers' perspective for everybody to do their own version of "ours is better than anybody else's" marketing and branding?
    The base line of mil. Spec is that it fits. Period.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heckathorn View Post
    I would look at a La Rue builder kit. About $1600 with a lower and full test fire.
    I've seen this mentioned a few times so I went looking for more details. What am I missing? Like you said, maybe $1,600 for a complete gun (cheaper if you want to assemble it yourself), and you can add a Tranquilo suppressor for only $400 more. What's the difference between that and the $3,000 guns? Kinda seems like a no-brainer...

Mil spec probably became a popular standard after WW II . What the military wanted was probably better quality than most of the consumer goods available - from clothing , to boots , to firearms . Also , in that time period people were not very wealthy . Military surplus was a known quality for a pretty low price . People are much wealthier today and have a higher expectation of what they will buy. Mil spec is not "best quality" by any means - but you would have a hard time convincing me that a Colt 6920 is not a fairly good firearm for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mike135 View Post
    I've seen this mentioned a few times so I went looking for more details. What am I missing? Like you said, maybe $1,600 for a complete gun (cheaper if you want to assemble it yourself), and you can add a Tranquilo suppressor for only $400 more. What's the difference between that and the $3,000 guns? Kinda seems like a no-brainer...
    You need to finish the assembly. Its also a much simpler handguard system and there isn't a Federal excise tax paid for "manufacturing" the firearm since you have to do the final assembly on your lower.

You need to finish the assembly. Its also a much simpler handguard system and there isn't a Federal excise tax paid for "manufacturing" the firearm since you have to do the final assembly on your lower.
    That looks like a pretty sweet deal. I honestly would probably go that route. I have put 3 together and they all worked. They are actually kinda hard to screw up....

LaRue to me for a 308 is probably the highest on my priority list for sure.

I'm impressed--my future purchasing plans may have to change!

For those of you not aware, the LaRue Tranquilo suppressor is a low-backpressure design, so you don't have to worry about having an adjustable gas block. The normal price is $700, so that's a $300 discount as part of the package.

The AR-15 kit doesn't look too bad either. If you want a matching lower from them you may have to spend a little extra but it might be worth it to you.

What I really want know is how the g2 srss stacks up against the top brands. As long as it’s free floated and can group consitaintly there really shouldn’t be a problem with it. I don’t even care if there is 2 miles of accessory rail on it, I will never use it. It would be long range only.