Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Experiences with DPMS panther or sass rifles 308 rifles?

I personally like the sass rifle but I want to get guys feedback if they have or know anyone that has one of these. I have been thinking of a 308 in an ar platform for a dedicated sniper and read a few things about these.

I have one.

FIRST: It is not an AR 10 !!!!!

What it is ----It is a damn good semi .308 hunting rifle.

I guess 1000+ rounds thru it ---only jam was a dud milsurp round.

A tad over 2 MOA with milsurp -- I never tried to load for the gun. FWIW Federal 150 gr softpoint was 3 MOA +

Fact: DPMS makes 90% of the "guts" for AR type rifles. That leaves other components to discuss.

Discussion:

Stock was a tad wobbly.

Fore-end was a tad loose but behaved OK once I tightened it.

NO IRONS -- Screw them --- A gun should be functional out of the box.

I did not expect much from this rifle and i mounted an old Bushnell 4x scope. It was consistent 2 MOA with milsurp out to 300.

The experienced shooter here knows what I mean when I say: -------It has worked, but I do not trust it YET !!

Choirboy

My DPMS is a GII Recon. Different parts, same company.

I've only shot SA surplus in it so far.

I've replaced the quad rail free float tube with a different one that covers the gas block, put a fixed stock on it, modified an .223 rifle buffer to work in it (shortened) and replaced the gas block with a Superlative Arms adjustable unit. I can shoot it with my nose on the charging handle as recoil is less than my AR15 in .300 BO.

It's been very dependable. One short stroke. Second round of a three shot group with that round striking 2" high vs. the rest of the group. I assumed it was a weak/low velocity round.

While getting it to what I wanted I had the barrel/gas block off it several times while trying to remove the factory flash suppressor (to replace the barrel nut/free float tube) before finally getting the rocksett to break loose on that flash suppressor (one of those AAC flash hiders designed to be a QD mount for an AAC suppressor). I have an AR15 rifle buffer spring/modified buffer in it. I put the adjustable gas block on it. And the darn thing worked every time I pulled the trigger except that one short stroke. I'm on my 4th battle pack now. I still wonder about the excellent (so far) reliability even with me monkeying around with the rifle (gas system and buffer system) like I have. I've had more issues with .223/5.56X45 AR15's that I wasn't changing parts around on.

The Recon only has a 16" barrel on it but you can get longer barrels, if you're looking for more velocity/range.

The GII's are more expensive than the older DPMS .308's.

Oh, I've used nothing but PMags in mine. Twenty and twenty-five round magazines, no issues.

I personally wouldn't touch DPMS with borrowed hands.... There are options that are better at a similar price point.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I personally wouldn't touch DPMS with borrowed hands.... There are options that are better at a similar price point.
    Which ones? I can’t really find anything better without jumping up into the 2500-4000 range? Thier g2 sass went against knights armorment for military testing. They have to be mil spec and they dropped price to fu?? Knight’s armorment for non military sales. Just a theory.....

Just saying, if it is mil spec it maybe worth getting a look. For somewhere around 1200-1500 that leaves room for a good optic and mounting hardware.

Guys, damn near all of the "little pieces" of AR type guns are made by DPMS. Now I have not done a search to see if the high end guys make gas rings, pins springs and such, but my guess is most are DPMS. Colt used them for decades. They are the definition of "milspec"

Bolts, sears and trigger do get some custom parts in the high end guns. A half dozen firing pin options are, or at least were out there.

It is what it is.

Choirboy

CMMG, Smith, Savage, Rock River
    Armalite is only about 2K or a little less
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I would look at a La Rue builder kit. About $1600 with a lower and full test fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    To be fair, you probably ought to be more specific as there seems to be quite a difference between the new G2 versions (essentially a complete redesign involving Remington engineers) and everything that came before.

I've been interested in the G2 for a while, and it's been hard to find anybody with a bad experience. The most common complaint is that it is over-gassed, but combined with the use of dual extractors that probably was done in the interest of reliability with a wide range of ammo. Accuracy is not bad--with the right ammo sub-MOA seems to be doable.

Technically it's not an AR-10, because they were trying to improve on the AR-10 (reliability, weight, size, etc.). Personally if I was in the market for a .308 in that price range I wouldn't be too worried about that--there are plenty of parts that still have widespread compatibility (including with the AR-15) and the aftermarket options are pretty good for the more proprietary stuff.

This was a pretty good article covering options for optimizing it:

http://www.recoilweb.com/preview-dpms-gen-ii-68949.html