Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Picked one up when they were hot ticket here while back. I still am glad I picked one up and keep it around. Mags are dirt cheap, think I got a box of them from Suarez at the time for like $100. (20 mags). Came with a integrated rail which is a must but the rest is just regular stock bones and makes a good beater gun you can throw in the truck if you want. As Yondering mentions if you are trying to save the brass it is a dubious task, it will throw them yard and mine seems to be pretty rough on the the casings.

I bought my GI model from SI years ago, and while it was a totally reliable and reasonably accurate rifle, I traded it for a 1990's M1A Scout squad and am much happier. It just never felt like a rifle in my hands.

If you are going to shoot long range I would suggest you look at an m1a or ar in 308. Again, it just depends what you want it for.

As far as I know , the Germans are still using them as DMR rifles and up until recently Norway was using G3's in general . The design is still a force to be reckoned with , and it looks like it is still being used in greater numbers than the other Battle Rifles.
    I have no idea why there is so much trouble and variation in the AR 10 type rifle , considering what has been done with the same gun in 5.56. You can't point to one manufacturer with one pattern of rifle with the track record of the M16 . Everybody has their own idea
    and not all the parts work together . You can configure a G3 any way you want , with military grade parts , and get very solid performance . The only new design is the SCAR 17 at 2 or 3 times the cost of the others - for the base rifle . The PTR is a good rifle that can hang with anything else available .

Quote Originally Posted by uglydog03 View Post
    As far as I know , the Germans are still using them as DMR rifles and up until recently Norway was using G3's in general . The design is still a force to be reckoned with , and it looks like it is still being used in greater numbers than the other Battle Rifles.
    I have no idea why there is so much trouble and variation in the AR 10 type rifle , considering what has been done with the same gun in 5.56. You can't point to one manufacturer with one pattern of rifle with the track record of the M16 . Everybody has their own idea
    and not all the parts work together . You can configure a G3 any way you want , with military grade parts , and get very solid performance . The only new design is the SCAR 17 at 2 or 3 times the cost of the others - for the base rifle . The PTR is a good rifle that can hang with anything else available .
    If I was buying a new 7.62 Nato chambered rifle I would look very hard at the AR-10 variants out there. My new to go rifle will be the AR-15 in 6.5 grendel. But there is no reason throw out my M1a or PTR91 unless I wanted the cash. If there was ever a SHTF and we needed barricade the neighborhood .308 rifles (Also 30-06 M1's), especially if you can round up some steel core projectiles do a better job of shooting up vehicles. I will keep by .308s, even the Saiga 308. Anyway, desides I like guns. One of my ARs will also be in 7.62x39 primarily I have a lot of the ammo on hand and I prefer it to the 5.56 as being a more effective battle round.
    Frankly most of what I do day to day for my security is handled with pistols or a pump shotgun.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

I went with a DSA SA 58 when I was looking for a battle rifle. I got it used for a decent price, and it came with an extreme duty scope mount. That was during the assault weapon ban days, so before 2004.

If I had to do it today, I would get an ar-10.